How soon until the 2022 season schedule is announced?

For those with concerns about Center Parc Stadium / DCI Southeast:

The area surrounding the stadium is rapidly being developed, with multiple student and luxury housing developments going up in the past few years. There's street-level retail and restaurants now, with a new Publix going in next year and basically continual construction and streetscape improvements.

https://summerhillatl.com/

https://reporternewspapers.net/2021/07/01/rediscovering-summerhill-community-is-undergoing-a-dramatic-renaissance-after-decades-of-being-ignored/

I'll avoid getting into the politics of gentrification since this isn't the place, but the bottom line is that this area is massively different from what it was when any of you would have last visited for a Braves game in 2016.

The stadium itself has undergone a lot of improvements. And while it's true there's much to be done still, the field is excellent artificial turf, there's good sight lines from the entire home side (if a bit low in the 100-level), there's ample concourse space, and there's plenty of room for lot activities.

Listed "capacity" is in the neighborhood of 24,000-25,000, but that's a figure for the lower bowl. Close off the visitors sideline + end zones and open the 400 level, and the figure is likely still about the same.

Big images below, so I hid them to avoid taking up a ton of forum space. Click the "spoiler" to expand.

Spoiler

Georgia-State-Stadium.jpg

1590677756-CaseStudy-GSUStadium-HeroLarg

3327486.jpg

CXIUO2EVYZBENKS53ILYMKNCMI.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

DCI West (Stanford) is late this year by a few weeks.  Often the first CA show in the 3rd week of June, it is now July 10th. Ogden looks to have a bigger line up of world class corps.  Sitting geographically in the middle of the 2 shows, I have some planning to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dansize said:

DCI West (Stanford) is late this year by a few weeks.  Often the first CA show in the 3rd week of June, it is now July 10th. Ogden looks to have a bigger line up of world class corps.  Sitting geographically in the middle of the 2 shows, I have some planning to do.

July 10th. We have not had a big show in July for years. I do like the schedule that it's more regional than pre-COVID. 

Hi Everyone -

I live in the area of the GSU Stadium for the Atlanta show and I think many of you that plan to attend will be very surprised with the area.  It is VERY different from what it once was when it was the Turner Field venue.  I'd argue that there are more restaurants to go to nearby than at the Mercedes Benz Stadium downtown; all of them are local, not chains.  Will the food and beverage offerings inside the GSU stadium match that of MBS, not at all.  But I think the Summerhill restaurant row will turn in to quite a special spot for drum corps fans to hang out pre- and post- show.  I actually hope they return here every year versus MBS.  See this link here for the Summerhill neighborhood showing what is open and what is to come soon:  https://summerhillatl.com/

The coffee shop has the best pastries you can imagine; the BBQ joint is fantastic; Hotdog Pete's is crazy good (waffle fries in a funnel cake batter), Hero donuts is tasty; the brewery is a great spot for pre show beer....I could go on!  Oh and the ice cream shop, Big Softie, will sure be a busy place.  

All of the parking lots are slowly turning into apartments/condos particularly catering to GSU students so the area is very active late into the evening.  I promise you'll feel safe!

There is also another great local restaurant hub about 1/2 mile away in Grant Park called the Beacon: https://www.thebeaconatlanta.com/  So if Summerhill is too crowded can do a quick drive through the historic Grant Park neighborhood to these restaurants.

As for Atlanta now being an outdoor show in July - I can't wait to hear live drum corps outdoors again...no more echo. Yes it will be hot, yes it may rain, but I think these risks are worth it!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tedrick said:

Looks great! I would assume the facilities people know what they are doing - people take college football very seriously in ATL - I'm sure it will be a great venue for DCI too!

Interesting that I don't see The Cadets, Blue Knights or Crossmen on the line-up for this show on Saturday 7/30

The Academy - Tempe, AZ
Atlanta CV - Atlanta, GA
Blue Devils - Concord, CA
Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI
Bluecoats - Canton, OH
Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA
Carolina Crown - Fort Mill, SC
The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL
Genesis - Austin, TX
Gold - San Diego, CA
Heat Wave - Tampa Bay, FL
Madison Scouts - Madison, WI