How soon until the 2022 season schedule is announced?

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Atlanta weather is known here by the locals as "bipolar". That said, rain that time of year usually acts much like the florida thunder storms. It shows up and goes just as fast. 

The year I went to Atlanta, it was a beautiful day, sunny, about 82 degrees. I found it perfect, friends who live in Atlanta found it too cool, though not quite chilly. I wished the show was outdoors that day. A few years later, I got caught in the infamous deluge of Allentown, which reminded me of a show at Met Life Stadium in 2012 which seemed like Armageddon was about to begin. Since that time I’ve concluded shows that are within driving distance which in my case is usually less than an hour, let the rains fall because you can’t control Mother Nature. If I have to travel and stay in a hotel, domes whenever possible, even though I’ll complain about too much amplification at the domed stadiums.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

Atlanta weather is known here by the locals as "bipolar". That said, rain that time of year usually acts much like the florida thunder storms. It shows up and goes just as fast. 

That’s true but some of the storms…. 😳.   We really get lightning down here.  Plus, I have tropical forest all around me.  You wouldn’t believe how many layers of surge protection are on this house.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  I’m preparing my first turkey ever with 75 degrees weather outside.  It should really be weird grilling ribeyes on Christmas Day.  😂 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Galen said:

So who had the idea to have a show in Delaware and NOT schedule Crossmen to be there? I know they've been based out of Texas for several years now but you'd think that would be a no-brainer based on their history.

That reminds me of when the Cavaliers show was held in Lisle without the Cavaliers.  The attendance was dismal.

At a quick glance, it looks like only midwest corps are at the Illinois shows.  I should look to see if this is a bigger trend - meaning mostly midwest corps at midwest shows, or if this is the case on the East or West coasts as well.  Every year pre-pandemic there would be either Crown or Cadets or Blue Devils (or sometimes more than one of these) at the Lisle show, Dekalb show, Rockford show.

is this a carry over from 2021, where there was a definite effort to stay local until Indy?

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

There has been a decline in the number of shows in the Northeast for about ten years. Each year one or two shows will be removed. DCI would like to see fewer shows in larger venues that are centrally located. It does make sense on paper, but paper and reality can be two different things. I can’t speak for Buffalo or Rome, but most of the Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Eastern PA shows are in small to midsized venues with loyal and dedicated crowds who, as show sponsors will tell you do spend money and do donate to two corps that host many of the shows (BAC and Cadets), however the shows do not appear to be as crowded as they used to be and parking seems to be easier. So unless people have lost weight and are carpooling, numbers are down. I am also basing my observations on 2019 and prior, not 2021 which was an exception.

What I have noticed over the years is the newer shows tend to be where high school bands are strongest. I also attended NIGHTbeat and Atlanta a few years back and kids from high school programs fill the stands at both shows. That’s a demographic  many of the Northeast shows have not been able to tap, even Allentown.

the lack of YEA running shows probably has an effect in the Mid Atlantic. 

• Like 1

Fuller analysis to come soon like I've done each year since 2018...some quick stats

• Average # of shows (including day 1 at Indy) is 21 down from 26 (2018) and 25 (2019, 2020)
  • On average, corps decreased by 4 shows from 2020
  • Bluecoats decreased the most at -8
  • Just 1 corps (The Cadets) increased from 2020 to 2022
Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
The Cadets are competing in 1 more show in '22 than '20
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Fuller analysis to come soon like I've done each year since 2018...some quick stats

• Average # of shows (including day 1 at Indy) is 21 down from 26 (2018) and 25 (2019, 2020)
  • On average, corps decreased by 4 shows from 2020
  • Bluecoats decreased the most at -8
  • No corps increased although Seattle Cascades are flat from 2020

Thanks for doing this - I'm looking forward to seeing the fruit of your labor -- 
other than the dci web site, is there another website or app that lists the show schedule?

Off topic a little: I don't see much lodging near J Birney Crum Stadium. Any suggestions for a first-time Allentown attendee?

11 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Off topic a little: I don't see much lodging near J Birney Crum Stadium. Any suggestions for a first-time Allentown attendee?

I was looking to go this past summer but then changed my mind.  I was looking at the hotels (google maps) down 222 close to I-78?  I've heard parking is a real issue & wanted to Uber to stadium. I would be interested to see any info offered as well. 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I was looking to go this past summer but then changed my mind.  I was looking at the hotels (google maps) down 222 close to I-78?  I've heard parking is a real issue & wanted to Uber to stadium. I would be interested to see any info offered as well. 🤔

We stayed in a Hampton inn that was about 15 -20 minutes away.   I think it was west of Allentown. It was 2014 so my memory is foggy.  I was pretty uncomfortable on the bench seats and it rained on Friday.  But I knew it was the last time I was ever going there so it was fine.  It was my Allentown farewell trip.  Parking is a challenge.  

• Thanks 1