1990 Cadets 5th Bass Drum Question/Story

I’ve been on DCP for years and never thought to ask about this, but I’m curious to hear the rest of the details (maybe from the person who played that position).

4 or 5 days before DCI South in Birmingham, Tommy Keenum called my percussion instructor and told him the 5th bass player had an injury (broken leg, pelvis, something) and asked if he had anyone who could/would join them and finish the tour with the Cadets.  My instructor asked me if I was interested and I jumped at the chance.  I was already set to go to DCI South, so I was told to pack a bag and meet them at the busses after the competition.  I feel fairly certain they marched 4 basses that night, but it has been over 30 years, so I may be wrong.  I went to the Cadets’ busses afterwards and tracked down Tommy, but he said the player was doing better and they were going to stick with what they had.  I was disappointed, but it makes sense.  On Finals night, they marched 5 bass drums, so I’m assuming the player recovered, or they plugged in someone else.  Of course they went on to win, and got high drums (I believe)!  Would have been a great year to be a part of.  Watching the show now, I don’t know how I would have learned everything in 2 weeks well enough to perform at that level - having never marched drum corps or played in a bass line.  Anyway, I was just curious about what happened on the Cadets side, and if the 5th bass player did actually get well enough to march Finals.  I always pay close attention to that spot whenever I watch the show.  Thanks

i know his name, but haven't seen him in eons...not sure of anything about an injury though