How close was a corps' name to its city of origin?

I was thinking about how some corps names fit their city closely, or even exactly; and for many, the name and city were not a "match".  This is a fun thread to list corps that match....and not a slam, in any way for corps that "don't".

Examples: NY Skyliners.  Is there a city anywhere in the world with a more famous skyline?  Casper Troopers.  The 11th Ohio Cavalry was in fact stationed in Casper in the 19th century.

Baltimore Yankee-Rebels.  1860's Maryland was full of both Yankees and Rebels.   New Bedford (MA) Whalers.  Rich history of the whaling industry.

These are but a few.  How big a list can we come up with?  Have fun!

• Like 1

Keith- Are you saying Niagara Falls is known for Cadillacs?  LOL

10 hours ago, markdewine said:

I was thinking about how some corps names fit their city closely, or even exactly; and for many, the name and city were not a "match".  This is a fun thread to list corps that match....and not a slam, in any way for corps that "don't".

Examples: NY Skyliners.  Is there a city anywhere in the world with a more famous skyline?  Casper Troopers.  The 11th Ohio Cavalry was in fact stationed in Casper in the 19th century.

Baltimore Yankee-Rebels.  1860's Maryland was full of both Yankees and Rebels.   New Bedford (MA) Whalers.  Rich history of the whaling industry.

These are but a few.  How big a list can we come up with?  Have fun!

The 'Devils' in 'Concord Blue Devils' comes from Mt Diablo in the vicinity of Concord, CA.

The "Bayonne Bridgemen' comes from the Bayonne Bridge from NJ to Staten Island.

You could say 'Florida Wave' is related to, well, the ocean on the coast of Florida, and certainly 'Magic of Orlando' has to do with the Magic Kingdom of Disney World. And, of course, 'Suncoast Sound.'

Toledo Glassmen, after Toledo's nickname, 'The Glass City,' from its glass industry.

From the DCA arena, 'Westshoremen' coming from 'The West Shore,' the name for the Harrisburg Metro Area across from the Susquehanna (to the west) from Harrisburg.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

Ah, very good!  I do remember now that BD was somehow attached to Mt. Diablo.  Interesting that the Bridgemen got their moniker while still part of St. Andrew's parish.

Another name that came to mind... the Pine Tree Warriors from Maine.  And, now that I think of it, Springfield Marksmen (MA) due to the Springfield Armory...maker of muskets, rifles, and assorted armaments.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The Long Island Sunrisers were named after the Sunrise Highway, which runs due east from the city to the extremity of the island. The road itself got it's name of course because every inch of it brought one closer to the sunrise. The corps colors, orange and blue, are quite apropos.

• Like 1

Showing my age but of the once 59 drum corps in the state of NJ, some named after towns were :

Audubon Bon-Bons,  Eatontown Royales, Dumont Police Cadets, Bayonne PAL Thunderbirds,  Secaucus Meadowlarks, 

and of course, the Garfield Cadets.

From CT. I remember the Milford Shoreliners and the  Bridgeport PAL Cadets.   

Do the NY Knickerbockers count ?  The drum corps not the b-ball team.  They were NYC based if I recall.   

On 11/19/2021 at 8:25 PM, mfrontz said:

The 'Devils' in 'Concord Blue Devils' comes from Mt Diablo in the vicinity of Concord, CA.

The "Bayonne Bridgemen' comes from the Bayonne Bridge from NJ to Staten Island.

You could say 'Florida Wave' is related to, well, the ocean on the coast of Florida, and certainly 'Magic of Orlando' has to do with the Magic Kingdom of Disney World. And, of course, 'Suncoast Sound.'

Toledo Glassmen, after Toledo's nickname, 'The Glass City,' from its glass industry.

From the DCA arena, 'Westshoremen' coming from 'The West Shore,' the name for the Harrisburg Metro Area across from the Susquehanna (to the west) from Harrisburg.

For Toledo, before named the Glassmen, they were the Glass City Optimists thanks to their connection to the Toledo Optimists club at the time.

Before THAT, they were the Maumee Suns, so it wasn't until the corps rebranded for the first time that their name reflected Toledo's glass making heritage.

• Like 2