Pray for Waukesha

3 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

OP requested no politics. Couple of posts trying to get there. 

If directed at me, just giving people warning there might be stuff going on behind the scenes. Done more parades than I can remember and know I’d appreciate a warning.

Also lost an ancestor to murder so this hits in a special way. And would not want anyone else to go through it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I'm not sure that would have done anything to stop this tragedy 

I don’t know.  They only had those wood barriers there. The guy plowed right through.  At least, the salt trucks would have slowed him down.  The guy was motoring. 

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know.  They only had those wood barriers there. The guy plowed right through.  At least, the salt trucks would have slowed him down.  The guy was motoring. 

The video of the SUV crashing through the barriers was actually taken towards the end of the parade route where the vehicle exited the route, but the point is well taken.  I attended a parade last weekend and they had every possible cross street & alley blocked with some sort of heavy vehicle (plow, garbage truck, street sweeper, etc...). 

Reading through the criminal complaint, it sounds like the original domestic dispute that may have started this whole incident occurred in the general vicinity of the parade staging area.  Given that close proximity, there's a chance that the SUV may have already been parked inside of whatever perimeter had been set up.  That's the one variable that might be hard to plan for.  It's one thing to tow vehicles off of the parade route & keep new vehicles out, but it's tough to control vehicles that might be parked in someone's driveway or a parking lot along the parade route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

The video of the SUV crashing through the barriers was actually taken towards the end of the parade route where the vehicle exited the route, but the point is well taken.  I attended a parade last weekend and they had every possible cross street & alley blocked with some sort of heavy vehicle (plow, garbage truck, street sweeper, etc...). 

Reading through the criminal complaint, it sounds like the original domestic dispute that may have started this whole incident occurred in the general vicinity of the parade staging area.  Given that close proximity, there's a chance that the SUV may have already been parked inside of whatever perimeter had been set up.  That's the one variable that might be hard to plan for.  It's one thing to tow vehicles off of the parade route & keep new vehicles out, but it's tough to control vehicles that might be parked in someone's driveway or a parking lot along the parade route.

How far have we fallen to where we need to find a solution for cars plowing people over in a parade. Is it too much to ask to live in a high trust society?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

How far have we fallen to where we need to find a solution for cars plowing people over in a parade. Is it too much to ask to live in a high trust society?

IMO it isn’t a question of trust but a matter of keeping eyes open and trying to think ahead of people who would do this.

but…. I worked 40 years Department of Defense and got 8-10 different types of security training every year. So I’m biased as hades toward security measures. Even kicked in a few times while on vacation which freaked my wife out “how the …. did you notice that?” 😳

4 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I hate it,too.  But I keep my head on a swivel everywhere.  Even down here in Hooterville. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

hell i've seen way too many parades with zero barriers, just a rented guy with a fashlight

• Like 2