What happened to Garfield in 1972 DCI prelims??

I just noticed this, looking at some historical recaps.  At the first DCI prelims, in 1972, the Garfield Cadets would have qualified for finals and finish

in 10th place.   It was a tight contest.  However, they had a full 1 point penalty, which dropped the corps out of finals and into 13th, a mere tenth

out of 12th.   Does anyone know what the penalty was for?

That's interesting......I heard from a pretty reliable source today.....He also confirmed "tinkering", but said that it was

this.......a drill set change was made at a practice before prelims, and there were not enough reps....some members

stepped over the front sideline, and the corps was penalized.  That's a tough break, because without that, they

would have been a 10th place finalist.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:14 AM, Bob984 said:

That's interesting......I heard from a pretty reliable source today.....He also confirmed "tinkering", but said that it was

this.......a drill set change was made at a practice before prelims, and there were not enough reps....some members

stepped over the front sideline, and the corps was penalized.  That's a tough break, because without that, they

would have been a 10th place finalist.

Couldn't be "some" members over the sideline ... each one would have been assessed a one point penalty ... 

Edited by ajlisko

On 12/4/2021 at 7:25 AM, traverbanking said:

Overtime. The staff was tinkering with the show all summer and left too much in the show.

correct it's been documented on here several times