WSS [1961] .. The Cavaliers WGI [1982] .. Garfield Cadets [1984] ..the Cadets [2009] .. WSS [2021]

This thread is a “combination” of music, choreography, and of course Drum Corps … “May all of the “Memories” continue …”

“West Side Story” [2021] comes to the Screen [AMC] … this coming Friday, December 10th, 2021. Director/Producer: Steven Spielberg … Executive Producer: Rita Moreno

The [2021] film is NOT a REMAKE of the 1961 “Classic”.  It is “based” on the 1957 Broadway musical … The music is still familiar, as are some of the characters.  Ms. Rachel Zegler, as “Maria”, is a new “shining Star”.  Ms. Rita Moreno appears again, this time as “Valentina”; replacing Ned Glass, as owner of the Shop. …  The choreography … color schemes … cinematography … appear to be something to behold … Plz check out the Trailer dropS on social media.

West Side Story [the “Movie”] opened Wednesday, October 18th [1961] … West Side Story [2021] appears a little more than 60 years afterwards.  At least three [3] members of the original cast are no longer with us.  Ms. Moreno will be “90” years old on Saturday, December 11th [2021].  Sidenote: She is the last remaining “Main” cast member of “Singing in the Rain” [1952].

The Cavaliers brought WSS to life 39 winters ago [1982] via WGI.

For Drum Corps fans … who can forget the WSS based shows of the Garfield Cadets of 1984 [37 summers ago] & the Cadets of 2009 [12 summers ago] … how quickly time passes …

Mr. Spielberg brings this iconic classic [WSS] to the Screen for “a new generation/audience” … I think it’s going to conjure up some beautiful “Memories” (in many different ways) for Drum Corps fans, performers and associated Corps members. 

• Like 1

I know of a certain corps that did West Side Story in 1974 and came within two corps of winning DCI that year. 

Really looking forward to seeing Spielberg's version.  I hope he did it justice as it is sacred.  

On 12/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, NebraskaGBR said:

Mr. Spielberg brings this iconic classic [WSS] to the Screen for “a new generation/audience” … I think it’s going to conjure up some beautiful “Memories” (in many different ways) for Drum Corps fans, performers and associated Corps members. 

Ahhh!  I see what you did there.  Madison '83 and '84.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, NebraskaGBR said:

"Thank you folks."  I was afraid I was going to leave out some Corps ... My goof & apologies to everyone involved in the Corps I left out ...

Dude....something from WSS story was done by someone EVERY YEAR since the Rita Morena movie came out for decades. 

The movie is absolutely terrific. Just saw it yesterday. But you know this is has been done so many times in drum corp I don't know what more could be added. You can't jam 2 and a half hours of music into a 10 min show. That is what the cadets tried to do in 2009 and it was not my fav. I prefer their 1994 show. BD uses the music of WSS in One Hand One Heart but it wasn't a west Side Story show. I actually grew to admire that show from 1998. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, NebraskaGBR said:

"Thank you folks."  I was afraid I was going to leave out some Corps ... My goof & apologies to everyone involved in the Corps I left out ...

No need to apologize.  It's easier to list who DIDN'T do West Side Story.

• 2 weeks later...