WSS [1961] .. The Cavaliers WGI [1982] .. Garfield Cadets [1984] ..the Cadets [2009] .. WSS [2021]

On 12/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

I know of a certain corps that did West Side Story in 1974 and came within two corps of winning DCI that year. 

Really looking forward to seeing Spielberg's version.  I hope he did it justice as it is sacred.  

I have seen the original at least 200 times over my 58 years on this planet and all the times I have written drill to or performed it. The 2021 version actually is an upgrade... multiple Oscar worthy. Because of its lack of (so far) commercial success, it will be one of those Oscar winners that the academy backs and pushes, that I will support.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 10:13 PM, 84BDsop said:

87 Sky is the definitive theatrical version on the field.

That ending... oh my.

10 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

I have seen the original at least 200 times over my 58 years on this planet and all the times I have written drill to or performed it. The 2021 version actually is an upgrade... multiple Oscar worthy. Because of its lack of (so far) commercial success, it will be one of those Oscar winners that the academy backs and pushes, that I will support.

It's odd it hasn't had more commercial success and, I agree, it will win multiple Oscars.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

6 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's odd it hasn't had more commercial success and, I agree, it will win multiple Oscars.  

According to the movie critics in this (NYC) area, the main reason the movie is not drawing  any

audience to speak of is that, when the actors are speaking Spanish, there are no English subtitles.

That makes it very hard to follow.

Edited by rpbobcat

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

According to the movie critics in this (NYC) area, the main reason the movie is not drawing  any

audience to speak of is that, when the actors are speaking Spanish, there are no English subtitles.

Most of the time they are speaking "Spanglish" (part of a phrase in English and the other in Spanish) and it is super easy to follow in the context of the conversation. I had not problem with it at all, but I had 4 years of Spanish in high school and live in Texas! LOL It is not hard to follow ... at all. Even if you had 4 years of German! LOL

8 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Yep....that backfield mello was effing perfect.

LOL I see what you did there! LOL

14 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Hmmmmm.  That doesn't make sense to me.  Even if you don't understand a word of Spanish the amount spoken had no impact on being able to follow the plot.  Maybe musicals are no longer a draw?  

24 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Hmmmmm.  That doesn't make sense to me.  Even if you don't understand a word of Spanish the amount spoken had no impact on being able to follow the plot.  Maybe musicals are no longer a draw?  

It could be today's audiences don't want to figure out the plot, or they just want to be able to understand the dialogue.  There are tons of really good foreign language films that never get seen because US audiences want to listen to their movies, not read them.  I always watch movies at home with the captions on, but my kids hate them.  The scene in "Finding Nemo" where Squirt is giving the exit instructions to Dory and Marlin... I never understood a word until I turned on the captions.

As for musicals not being a draw... other than "Mamma Mia" and "Mary Poppins Returns," I only recall animated movie musicals being recently successful.