WSS [1961] .. The Cavaliers WGI [1982] .. Garfield Cadets [1984] ..the Cadets [2009] .. WSS [2021]

41 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

It could be today's audiences don't want to figure out the plot, or they just want to be able to understand the dialogue.  There are tons of really good foreign language films that never get seen because US audiences want to listen to their movies, not read them.  I always watch movies at home with the captions on, but my kids hate them.  The scene in "Finding Nemo" where Squirt is giving the exit instructions to Dory and Marlin... I never understood a word until I turned on the captions.

As for musicals not being a draw... other than "Mamma Mia" and "Mary Poppins Returns," I only recall animated movie musicals being recently successful.

Sorry to turn DCP into a film debate website......but it IS West Side Story..........did you see the movie?  The amount of time where only Spanish was spoken was minimal, and even then you could understand what was being said through context, facial expression, and body language.  

And La La Land did pretty well.  It won best picture in 2016 for two minutes  🙂

• Like 1

Unfortunately Marvel movies are the only ones making the big bucks. Older audiences are not yet going back to movies on a regular basis especially with these new covid strains. I saw Belfast in the theaters and I plus two other people were the only ones in the place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Unfortunately Marvel movies are the only ones making the big bucks. Older audiences are not yet going back to movies on a regular basis especially with these new covid strains. I saw Belfast in the theaters and I plus two other people were the only ones in the place. 

I can't remember the last time I went to the theater to see a movie.  Nothing to do with COVID for me. 😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I can't remember the last time I went to the theater to see a movie.  Nothing to do with COVID for me. 😁

Yep, with the hearing issue in one ear I leave captioning on all the time. And if I miss something (audio or visual) that rewind button on the remote works real fine. 
And let’s not get into the needed bladder break where a pause button is 👍

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

The WSS matinee I went to was nearly full. Also, the three elderly women blocking the exit while going on about the shabby linoleum in the apartment didn’t get the memo. Lol. That was your take away ladies? Oy vey!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Sorry to turn DCP into a film debate website......but it IS West Side Story..........did you see the movie?  The amount of time where only Spanish was spoken was minimal, and even then you could understand what was being said through context, facial expression, and body language.  

And La La Land did pretty well.  It won best picture in 2016 for two minutes  🙂

I was only speaking conjecturally, as in "Why would this particular movie be struggling commercially?" 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, rpbobcat said:

According to the movie critics in this (NYC) area, the main reason the movie is not drawing  any

audience to speak of is that, when the actors are speaking Spanish, there are no English subtitles.

That makes it very hard to follow.

The 2009 Broadway revival, directed by Arthur Laurents himself, had some Spanish in it. Maria (incredible Josephina Scaglione), sang “I Feel Pretty” in Spanish. It was beautiful.

My son’s wife was a Production Assistant on the show. We got to attend the dress rehearsal. Laurents came out and spoke to the audience. He noted some of the changes he made to the original show he wrote in the 50’s as well as the Spanish singing. He said he saw no reason personally to just recreate his original; he wad 92 at the time.

This was my review of the 2021 Spielberg West Side Story that I posted on Facebook for my friends. I was amazingly impressed and feel it likely the best film of the year. But these are just my opinions. Enjoy!
---------------------

Finally saw West Side Story in the theater. The movie is a flat out triumph! It's stunning in every aspect from script, music, costuming, cinematography, acting...you name it. Trying to hold back the tears in the most tragic scenes was impossible, and the dance segments are absolute perfection. 💃 I wanted to stand and applaud after "America." The sequence of events and overlays during "Tonight" were haunting. The ending, as we all know, is tragic. 🙏

Dare I say Mr. Spielberg has one-upped the 1961 movie. There are changes, including some of the scenes being ordered differently from the 61 film. In fact the movie is more in line with the original 1957 Broadway show, as Mr. Spielberg notes in an interview.

West Side Story has always been a difficult musical for my taste, yet artistically stunning. I can't stand gang violence and all the racism, bigotry, hate, and sheer ignorance that is so prevalent in these characters. It is tough to digest. For those reasons I wasn't sure I wanted to see the movie. In my heart I like to believe we are beyond such ignorance. But I see this modern remake as a preservation effort to enhance for future generations one of the most stunning and tragic shows of all time. West Side Story leaves us with the pain of hate and violence, yet fills our hearts with the hope for peace and love..."Somewhere."

Hearing Leonard Bernstein's music again in the theater was nothing short of thrilling. Simply put the music is brilliant. 🎻 David Newman deserves a lot of credit for rearranging some of the music to fit the scenes. The New York Philharmonic and Los Angeles Philharmonic provide the score with Gustavo Dudamel conducting.

If your heart can take the highs and lows of this tragic, yet heart-felt story, then you will not be disappointed. Mr. Spielberg has remade a masterful musical into an even more EPIC film that takes the 1961 version to a new level. Just to hear the music of Leonard Bernstein in the theater again is reason to go.
10 out of 10!!!! 👏👏👏
Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, jwillis35 said:
This was my review of the 2021 Spielberg West Side Story that I posted on Facebook for my friends. I was amazingly impressed and feel it likely the best film of the year. But these are just my opinions. Enjoy!
---------------------

Finally saw West Side Story in the theater. The movie is a flat out triumph! It's stunning in every aspect from script, music, costuming, cinematography, acting...you name it. Trying to hold back the tears in the most tragic scenes was impossible, and the dance segments are absolute perfection. 💃 I wanted to stand and applaud after "America." The sequence of events and overlays during "Tonight" were haunting. The ending, as we all know, is tragic. 🙏

Dare I say Mr. Spielberg has one-upped the 1961 movie. There are changes, including some of the scenes being ordered differently from the 61 film. In fact the movie is more in line with the original 1957 Broadway show, as Mr. Spielberg notes in an interview.

West Side Story has always been a difficult musical for my taste, yet artistically stunning. I can't stand gang violence and all the racism, bigotry, hate, and sheer ignorance that is so prevalent in these characters. It is tough to digest. For those reasons I wasn't sure I wanted to see the movie. In my heart I like to believe we are beyond such ignorance. But I see this modern remake as a preservation effort to enhance for future generations one of the most stunning and tragic shows of all time. West Side Story leaves us with the pain of hate and violence, yet fills our hearts with the hope for peace and love..."Somewhere."

Hearing Leonard Bernstein's music again in the theater was nothing short of thrilling. Simply put the music is brilliant. 🎻 David Newman deserves a lot of credit for rearranging some of the music to fit the scenes. The New York Philharmonic and Los Angeles Philharmonic provide the score with Gustavo Dudamel conducting.

If your heart can take the highs and lows of this tragic, yet heart-felt story, then you will not be disappointed. Mr. Spielberg has remade a masterful musical into an even more EPIC film that takes the 1961 version to a new level. Just to hear the music of Leonard Bernstein in the theater again is reason to go.
10 out of 10!!!! 👏👏👏

I agree with everything you said. I was skeptical for a remake but my gosh did this movie go way beyond my expectation. 

• Like 2