Phantom Regiment troubles?..

47 minutes ago, FTNK said:

File this in the ever-expanding "maybe drum corps culture is fundamentally irredeemable" column.

You can find garbage like this almost anywhere. Some are worse and/or more open than others. Difference is we now have more sources of information to bring it to light. 
edit: and more resources and processes to deal with it (thinking of what it was like when I started work 1980 for Uncle Sam)
IMO society is getting better in this but still a long way to go.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Read it, still confused.  Context needed.

I’m just suspect of things posted by inbetween. 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

I’m just suspect of things posted by             inbetween. 

My thing is why this is happening so late.  Did this person get cut and now????  Also, when you are a hammer (that link) everything looks like a nail no matter what.  So, context matters.

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

My thing is why this is happening so late.  Did this person get cut and now????  Also, when you are a hammer (that link) everything looks like a nail no matter what.  So, context matters.

Agreed.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, inbetween said:

Also want to point out MAASIN has already had its own trouble. Just had a member arrested for domestic violence. It is discussed on their blog if you're interested in reading. 

Can you share the link? For the sake of credibility, I think it’s important to know  how MAASIN dealt with it once they knew of the situation. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

The person in question was in their fourth season with the corps and left during their age out season because of this, they didn’t get cut. So, reading comprehension matters. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, inbetween said:

I thought the same thing. If they have no tangible proof, that was a brave move. I had heard about this but assumed the corps had settled it because it hadn't hit the "news". I guess they didn't. 

And they meant drag in the slang term. Pretty sure that is why it was put in quotes. 

Also want to point out MAASIN has already had its own trouble. Just had a member arrested for domestic violence. It is discussed on their blog if you're interested in reading. 

yeah their history is a little checkered, tho i do approve their openness about the former member of the team. it's also nice that they toned down their approach, as in the past they were rather vigilante justice approach. but they have brought some issues to light that needed to be addressed.

the biggest issue is, with any kind of personnel move, whatever ends up happening will probably never see the light of day.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Can you share the link? For the sake of credibility, I think it’s important to know  how MAASIN dealt with it once they knew of the situation. 

https://www.maasin.net/blog/statement-on-former-member-stephen-mathew

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Read it, still confused.  Context needed.

Short version from what I read is that a guard staff member threatened to "dead-name" a non-binary guard member (ie refer to them by their former name) on a couple occasions during a rehearsal as punishment for mistakes the member had made. The member tried to address this with the guard caption head and corps director, who seemed to be pretty dismissive of the whole incident. The member ultimately left the corps during the season.

As for context, dead-naming is considered extremely impolite when you're addressing trans/non-binary people- or really anybody who's changed their name at some point in their life. Just like you shouldn't call a married woman by their maiden name (unless you're saying "nee", "formerly" or something similar), it's generally not good etiquette to refer to a trans/NB person by a former name either.

• Like 4