Phantom Regiment troubles?..

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

That said - I did hear of a student (not one of mine) that officially requested to be addressed as 'Your Royal Highness'

I get this kind of thing all the time from students. It's a whole new generation and just when I think they can't be serious...they are. But in my trade, all is fair. If you request to be called by a specific name, I will do it as long as it doesn't offend someone else. But if you do something wrong, I will absolutely call you out using that same name as well. Entitlement to be addressed by a name you have chosen is fine, but it does not release you from accountability for your person actions. 

In regards to the original topic, clearly if everything presented here is accurate, the staff member knew EXACTLY what to do to "twist the knife" and attempted to use it to gain an advantage in control. That's pretty &$%$ing narcissistic. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I get this kind of thing all the time from students. It's a whole new generation and just when I think they can't be serious...they are. But in my trade, all is fair. If you request to be called by a specific name, I will do it as long as it doesn't offend someone else. But if you do something wrong, I will absolutely call you out using that same name as well. Entitlement to be addressed by a name you have chosen is fine, but it does not release you from accountability for your person actions. 

In regards to the original topic, clearly if everything presented here is accurate, the staff member knew EXACTLY what to do to "twist the knife" and attempted to use it to gain an advantage in control. That's pretty &$%$ing narcissistic. 

I don't disagree with any of this.  

As we know, Drum Corps rehearsals can get intense.  Ad we have all been called out at one time or another with (for example) 'ILC - you are hitting your mark one count late - get your act together!', or something like that.   And this is fine.   But calling someone by a name that they find personally offensive is counterproductive to the goal.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As we know, Drum Corps rehearsals can get intense.  Ad we have all been called out at one time or another with (for example) 'ILC - you are hitting your mark one count late - get your act together!', or something like that.   And this is fine.   But calling someone by a name that they find personally offensive is counterproductive to the goal.

Agreed 100000%. It's also manipulative. We perform because we want to be great. Most of us who marched didn't need any more motivation than that to perform at our best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.

This is why when teaching college biology & asking questions usually work my way across a rank,  pointing at individuals & calling all of them 'you'.  The students understand & seem to appreciate that I am trying not to offend (or perhaps am offending everyone equally).

That said - I did hear of a student (not one of mine) that officially requested to be addressed as 'Your Royal Highness'

thats how i address my daughter after certain behaviors 🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And?  I’ve requested that Jim call me goddess divine. I don’t see the problem here.  😂 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

And?  I’ve requested that Jim call me goddess divine. I don’t see the problem here.  😂 

We didn’t use titles… as long as I said “yes dear”, my sorry butt was safe.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You should’ve heard some things Brazale said in rehearsals. My God. He was legend (and I’m still proud to have had the privilege of marching under him) but… some of it was pretty cringy. And definitely wouldn’t fly today. (Shouldn’t have then, either.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, year1buick said:

You should’ve heard some things Brazale said in rehearsals. My God. He was legend (and I’m still proud to have had the privilege of marching under him) but… some of it was pretty cringy. And definitely wouldn’t fly today. (Shouldn’t have then, either.)

I had one visual guy say “screw you” to me.  I guess I was kind of a smart ### back then but even so, that crossed the line.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had one visual guy say “screw you” to me.  I guess I was kind of a smart ### back then but even so, that crossed the line.  

back then eh? so little change 🤣

• Haha 2