Phantom Regiment troubles?..

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Which reminds me…. Who inspects the props to make sure they are safe for members to be on. If staff, where’s that inmates running the asylum comment from earlier.

And including DM podiums as props. Have seen some where people were holding the #### thing during a performance to keep it from tipping.

And to add to an earlier point. BITD who would a harassed person go to? My training always had who to report to and…. who to report to if you don’t trust the primary person (they might be the harasser). It’s all useless if you don’t know how to report.

Brings a whole new light of "self regulating activity".....

• Thanks 1

So my own corps a few years ago used a bunch of these big standalone props.  Quelle surprise, right?  Our kids carried them out there themselves, set them up, did their thing, took them down and carried them off the field.  Finals night, I am on the sideline, we're scrambling to get off the field and they're one person short on one of them.  I figure no big deal, run out there and pick up a corner.  

I almost fell down, these props were so heavy.  Turns out they were solid plywood, and massive.  Guessing several hundred pounds.  I realize I'm middle-aged dad, but it took the wind out of me just walking back to the trailer.  I couldn't believe we'd been having our members tote them around all summer.  Definitely changed my mind on props - I went from an "it's fine" mentality to "not unless they're either light or roll."  I know the megacorps that have ramps and stages and other fun have creative ways to break them down, but yikes.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's easy to sit online and ask where people were "back in the day," but when it actually happens to you, things aren't so easy. Why do you think people wait years before they report their sexual trauma or other crimes to authorities? 

This is not to say I'm the victim of any of this, but as someone who has spoken to people who are victims of certain things, I can empathize with those who wait to report things like this. 

So I know what I said would bring a response like this, but I DO KNOW! I won't go into detail as it involves a family member and I did ask "Why didn't you report it?" It was back in the 1950's and no one would have done anything. The same could be said about the 1970's and 1980's. Fortunately people are opening up and some suffer consequences. I know why they waited! 

• Like 1

Props aren't the problems - some of the adults in the activity are.  Thankfully, not all.

WGI has mandated SafeSport training for ALL participants this winter season - a first!  It is similar to corporate video trainings, but as far as those go, the information is actually incredibly helpful, as it makes clear who to report to (spoiler alert, it's the police).  

It won't fix everything, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.  If nothing else, more adults will now know how to report, when to report, etc.  

• Like 3

I worked with Regiment a few years back and hope to again in the future. In my experience they were very trans friendly and open to trans marchers and volunteers.  I was not around the corps in 2021 so I do not know exactly what went down. However this does seem out of character for the corps based on my what I know from the past.

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

So my own corps a few years ago used a bunch of these big standalone props.  Quelle surprise, right?  Our kids carried them out there themselves, set them up, did their thing, took them down and carried them off the field.  Finals night, I am on the sideline, we're scrambling to get off the field and they're one person short on one of them.  I figure no big deal, run out there and pick up a corner.  

I almost fell down, these props were so heavy.  Turns out they were solid plywood, and massive.  Guessing several hundred pounds.  I realize I'm middle-aged dad, but it took the wind out of me just walking back to the trailer.  I couldn't believe we'd been having our members tote them around all summer.  Definitely changed my mind on props - I went from an "it's fine" mentality to "not unless they're either light or roll."  I know the megacorps that have ramps and stages and other fun have creative ways to break them down, but yikes.

Mike

Reminds me of the portapotties The Cadets had in 2014.  Jim is a strong man but even he said those were way too heavy. They were made from angle iron and 3/4 inch plywood.  Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

So I know what I said would bring a response like this, but I DO KNOW! I won't go into detail as it involves a family member and I did ask "Why didn't you report it?" It was back in the 1950's and no one would have done anything. The same could be said about the 1970's and 1980's. Fortunately people are opening up and some suffer consequences. I know why they waited! 

My mom reported it to the police in ‘60’s about myself and they did  something.  But the judicial system failed. 

• Sad 2

On 12/14/2021 at 6:17 AM, FTNK said:

A pretty damning indictment of the whole thing, isn't it?

Yes, it is, but things are so much better now than they were in the early years of DCI.  Can more be done?  Absolutely.

I would hope that each generation is working to improve itself regarding societal norms.    

It's disappointing when I hear this is how it's always been or use to be.  Toughen up, shake it off, you're a snowflake.  I am encouraged that these issues continue to be brought to the attention of all and progress, albeit slow progress, is happening. 

Being now a part of the older generation, we need to look at issues with an open mind and realize what we witnessed or experienced was not okay.  Our time will pass and the next generations will continue to carry on and hopefully make for a better and more inclusive activity.  

There are still things the upcoming generations can learn from the older generations as well.  Drum corps use to be more inclusive in terms of participants who could afford to march, no matter their social economic status.  Much work to do.  

I would also hope the new generation is not so quick to punish and condemn.  It seems like everyone wants someone to pay the price and be punished.  It's about education, training, establishing new policies and growth for all.  Of course that doesn't excuse some of the heinous crimes we have read about over these last several years.  I would hope justice will be served regarding these instances.  

Like others have pointed out, easier said then done based on what is happening in the world today.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Then if you know why people don't report things right away, there was no point in asking that question. We should all be a little more careful lest we look as if we're blaming the victim for their own trauma. Some things are just too touchy to go around asking someone why they didn't report something.

I spent 20 years in the military and I personally know people who didn't report being sexually assaulted because they didn't feel as if they would be believed or worse, they'd be blamed for their own traumatic experience. That's just one example. 

• Like 5