Phantom Regiment troubles?..

5 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

You sound awfully woke here….

Life happens, warts and all.

FYI, i am one of the least PC people on the planet or The Planet. ask many regs, several have met me. However, drum corps had a huge wake up call in April of 18, and several other stories came out after that have damaged drum corps in many ways. it can't keep taking body blows like this and succeed. so while i appreciate your "suck it up buttercup" take on life, i for one prefer drum corps not continue to kick itself in the balls and lose all credibility with the countless PR it's thrown out about how...in your words..."woke" they became.

• Thanks 6

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Off topic but since the word has been cropping up… wth is wrong with being aware of problems that were under the radar before? 
Guess all my harassment/assault training is “woke” as it has been changing with the times over the last few decades.

And “life happens, warts and all”????

Ok, but not everyone has had the level of harassment/assault training that you have. Yes, life happens. People will always say things they should have thought more about before saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

FYI, i am one of the least PC people on the planet or The Planet. ask many regs, several have met me. However, drum corps had a huge wake up call in April of 18, and several other stories came out after that have damaged drum corps in many ways. it can't keep taking body blows like this and succeed. so while i appreciate your "suck it up buttercup" take on life, i for one prefer drum corps not continue to kick itself in the balls and lose all credibility with the countless PR it's thrown out about how...in your words..."woke" they became.

Drum corps exposes marchers to all sorts of life experiences both good and bad. Should harassment/abuse be condoned? Absolutely not! But every story has three sides to it. We’ve only heard one. That’s why I stand behind the corps working this out between staff and marchers on their own. 

• Like 1

And words have meaning. Names have meaning. Deadnames hurt. Shouldn’t we consider life happens to the afflicted as well as the aggressor? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And words have meaning. Names have meaning. Deadnames hurt. Shouldn’t we consider life happens to the afflicted as well as the aggressor? 

Gosh, where do I go from here Jurassic? Did I say this was right? I didn’t. We have one side of a story. Let those involved in this issue iron it out for themselves. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

29 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Gosh, where do I go from here Jurassic? Did I say this was right? I didn’t. We have one side of a story. Let those involved in this issue iron it out for themselves. 

In a post-Hopocalyptic world, even a modicum of transparency would be helpful. The cone of silence from Rockford seems deafening to me.

7 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Ok, but not everyone has had the level of harassment/assault training that you have. Yes, life happens. People will always say things they should have thought more about before saying. 

True about people will talk without thinking, but to say “life happens” like the members problem with what was said isn’t that important? Opposite of the environment corps need if they want members to come forward with problems.

Just reminds me of the guy we had years ago who was sexist as hades.  People who complained about what he said where brushed off with “well that’s the way he is” and things festered for years. Irony is action was finally taken when upper management was reminded “you knew and did nothing, that makes you legally responsible”. Applies to my agency and would apply to a corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 12/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

A release of liability may not be the best way to go.  For members under age of 18, the parents/guardians would need to sign.  How many would sign it after reading?  It is not the best look to say 'sign here that you release us from liability if your kid gets injured or killed by our props'.  

And even if the member signs, if there is a serious injury or a death it will be investigated by police in the jurisdiction the accident occurs in (see PR bus accident several years ago - was investigated by AZ police).  It is possible that some sort of criminal negligence charges could be the result.  The Corps and/or DCI's legal bill could add up quickly.  Do the Corps / DCI have a contingency fund set aside for this?  

And lawyers will tell you that even with a liability release legal action can result - once again, legal fees can accumulate quickly, and even if the Corps / DCI prevail the lawyers will still send a bill.

So, will liability insurance cover this?  Perhaps, to a point.  But insurance policies usually state that they won't cover losses to to negligence on the part of the insured.  

Like so many other things in this activity, it’s an accident waiting to happen, and as usual DCI and the organizations will be reactive instead of proactive. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Maybe it still has not dawned on you, but your post is part of the problem.

"Drum corps" did not do this.  One person did this.  Just one (adjectives withheld per DCP guidelines) person.  There is no evidence that any wider number of people conspired to inflict this behavior on anyone.  In fact, the responses here show a consensus opposing such behavior among the DCP sample of corps people.

We can fret about whether the proper corrective actions are being taken, or whether those actions come fast enough.  But extrapolating guilt-by-association across the entire activity population is not warranted.  (It is a popular tactic advanced by "woke" culture, though, which is probably why that word keeps showing up in responses.)

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 3