Phantom Regiment troubles?..

On 12/15/2021 at 5:40 AM, keystone3ply said:

Spirit's crew that handled the "Bottle Tree" props did wear hard hats this past summer.  They were solid white & I think they also wore white coveralls as well?  (Or at least that's what I saw in my mind.)  They reminded me of the NASA ground crew.  #SafetyFirst :thumbs-up: 

In 1980 SoA had an OSHA ‘Hearing Protection Required’ sign next to the DM podium.  

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I spent 20 years in the military and I personally know people who didn't report being sexually assaulted because they didn't feel as if they would be believed or worse, they'd be blamed for their own traumatic experience. That's just one example. 

They believed it because it was true. And they still believe it because it's still true.  How much is this movement chipping away at at that?  I guess we'll see.    

Your whole post nailed it.  It can also be a way of trying to escape reliving the trauma over and over again.  The term "survival mode" has been overused to the point where it has little meaning, but it's real.  

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Lance said:

They believed it because it was true. And they still believe it because it's still true.  How much is this movement chipping away at at that?  I guess we'll see.    

Your whole post nailed it.  It can also be a way of trying to escape reliving the trauma over and over again.  The term "survival mode" has been overused to the point where it has little meaning, but it's real.  

Truth is, you relive the trauma every time you hear about another one.  It never leaves you. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

On 12/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, Mello Dude said:

Om my, railings, ramps and stairs being out of compliance etc.  Handling of heavy equipment, loading and unloading.

I supposed you could adopt OSHA standards, but OSHA would have no part of it at all. Then you would have to create a process for implementation and compliance and have appropriate insurance/underwriter oversight and so on.  Ahead of that would be all engineering and design of the props.  There would be a need for safety training.  It grows and grows.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I supposed you could adopt OSHA standards, but OSHA would have no part of it at all. Then you would have to create a process for implementation and compliance and have appropriate insurance/underwriter oversight and so on.  Ahead of that would be all engineering and design of the props.  There would be a need for safety training.  It grows and grows.

My only thoughts are being sure the bleeping things are put together safely show after show after…. 
And as the season wears on people get complacent or rushed or more worried about other things.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My only thoughts are being sure the bleeping things are put together safely show after show after…. 
And as the season wears on people get complacent or rushed or more worried about other things.

Shirley in the year 2022 the corps have adopted safety training & rules governing the use of props for all students, staff, & volunteers.  (And don't call me "Shirley"; see video.) :spitting:

I know there are policies in place for broadway tours, concert tours, & the traveling "carnivals".    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Well, this seems to have evolved into a props discussion so I will add my $0.02.

I have a relative who is a civil engineer in the Los Angeles area.  He mainly designs gas stations, but also has the credentials to certify if a building is safe or not post-earthquake.  He rakes in big bucks after every earthquake.  And pays a lot for insurance to cover him in case of mistake (but no mistakes so far).

Anyway, my point is that if a Corps (or DCI) want professional engineering certification for props, they will need to pay for this service.  And this will cost $$.  Same with insurance.  This needs to be weighed against potential civil (& possibly criminal in some cases) liability if a member is injured (or worse) due to a prop accident.  Just because an accident has not yet occurred shouldn't lull the activity into a sense of complacency.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just because an accident has not yet occurred shouldn't lull the activity into a sense of complacency.  

With my above average sarcasm level dealing with stupidity this brings up a few flashbacks… and a few people who quit talking to me.

”We’ve been doing it this way for years and nothing has happened”

Me: “Yet..”

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With my above average sarcasm level dealing with stupidity this brings up a few flashbacks… and a few people who quit talking to me.

”We’ve been doing it this way for years and nothing has happened”

Me: “Yet..”

I am reminded of NASA's mindset before the 2 space shuttle accidents.

• Thanks 2