Phantom Regiment troubles?..

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe it still has not dawned on you, but your post is part of the problem.

"Drum corps" did not do this.  One person did this.  Just one (adjectives withheld per DCP guidelines) person.  There is no evidence that any wider number of people conspired to inflict this behavior on anyone.  In fact, the responses here show a consensus opposing such behavior among the DCP sample of corps people.

We can fret about whether the proper corrective actions are being taken, or whether those actions come fast enough.  But extrapolating guilt-by-association across the entire activity population is not warranted.  (It is a popular tactic advanced by "woke" culture, though, which is probably why that word keeps showing up in responses.)

Two issues here. First are the people who do the crap. Second are the organizations who are responsible for setting up reporting methods, ways to deal with the incidents and following through. If any corps or DCI itself fails in the second case then the problem is more than that one person

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Continental said:

He didn't say that the members problem wasn't important.  

Never said he did or didn’t (blasted double negatives). But if someone goes to report a problem and gets told “life happens” people are going to be less willing to report. And the whole purpose of a reporting system gets shot in the butt. I was looking at the overall picture and not what one DCPer posted.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Two issues here. First are the people who do the crap. Second are the organizations who are responsible for setting up reporting methods, ways to deal with the incidents and following through. If any corps or DCI itself fails in the second case then the problem is more than that one person

Since your last sentence starts with "if", there is really only one issue here.

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Since your last sentence starts with "if", there is really only one issue here.

I’m speaking overall not just what is going on in Phantom Regiment. The “here” meant overall protection from abuse.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In a post-Hopocalyptic world, even a modicum of transparency would be helpful. The cone of silence from Rockford seems deafening to me.

Oy!

52 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never said he did or didn’t (blasted double negatives). But if someone goes to report a problem and gets told “life happens” people are going to be less willing to report. And the whole purpose of a reporting system gets shot in the butt. I was looking at the overall picture and not what one DCPer posted.

Sorry Jim. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else in this forum knows how the corps has responded to this issue. All we have to go on is what one person said. Please don’t misconstrue or misrepresent what I’ve said here. The “life happens” comment I made was used to illustrate the point that we all have said something we weren’t particularly proud of at some point in our lives and now you are projecting that comment as the stance the corps has taken? That’s just wrong. 

If this actually happened, the instructor should apologize to the marching member and be more mindful of their choice of words going forward. If the alleged behavior continues, then the corps should take disciplinary action against that instructor. Agreed? That’s done in house and not in the court of public opinion.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Sorry Jim. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else in this forum knows how the corps has responded to this issue. All we have to go on is what one person said. Please don’t misconstrue or misrepresent what I’ve said here. The “life happens” comment I made was used to illustrate the point that we all have said something we weren’t particularly proud of at some point in our lives and now you are projecting that comment as the stance the corps has taken? That’s just wrong. 

If this actually happened, the instructor should apologize to the marching member and be more mindful of their choice of words going forward. If the alleged behavior continues, then the corps should take disciplinary action against that instructor. Agreed? That’s done in house and not in the court of public opinion.

I agree with what you said but have to repeat myself again to say that I NEVER implied anything on what the corps did or didn’t do. I am speaking of what needs to be done in any organization to deal with abuse or harassment issues.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In a post-Hopocalyptic world, even a modicum of transparency would be helpful. The cone of silence from Rockford seems deafening to me.

Not sure what you expect.

At some point, societal wisdom decided that we needed mechanisms by which people could file complaints without being retaliated against.  Therefore, the typical "whistleblower policy" protects the privacy of the reporter by requiring a degree of confidentiality in the process.  Some loss of "transparency" is an inevitable result of having that process in place.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I agree with what you said but have to repeat myself again to say that I NEVER implied anything on what the corps did or didn’t do. I am speaking of what needs to be done in any organization to deal with abuse or harassment issues.

Thank you for the clarification Jim. Much appreciated.

• Like 1