Phantom Regiment troubles?..

19 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.  One person's gutter can be another person's paradise.

Yep… And one sees below the surface better than they did before and think that means things are a lot worse

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Kinda thought this thread was going to be crashing at 3 or 4 pages. Guess I'm pessimistic dog as well. Turns out it would take double of that number. Can we keep it open? Time will tell.

One thing I appreciate about MAASIN is their transparency. Warts and all. It's going to take some more marching arts organizations to fail to respond a few times before the activity realizes that MAASIN aren't going away.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

With respect to Phantom there are errors and there are issues. Can they get through it all? I expect they can. 

I am going to start a thread that details something about a corps and the treatment some received. I will provide details without names and I expect some might be shocked. I can only hope that those involved would read it and try to understand,,,,,, I sure hope its not derailed by some high school band director or a former government worker. 

I promise the story will be interesting on its own. 

I can hardly wait.........🙄

Anyone who marched in Drum Corps could write a book.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 11:31 PM, Swamptihs said:

With respect to Phantom there are errors and there are issues. Can they get through it all? I expect they can. 

I am going to start a thread that details something about a corps and the treatment some received. I will provide details without names and I expect some might be shocked. I can only hope that those involved would read it and try to understand,,,,,, I sure hope its not derailed by some high school band director or a former government worker. 

I promise the story will be interesting on its own. 

#### i feel left out

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FTNK said:

A pretty damning indictment of the whole thing, isn't it?

My ability and vocabulary of obscenities improved in Senior corps.

Seriously heard a few sexual comments said by a staff member about a minor female. Also 2 temp staff members singing a racist song (from their previous corps) on a bus trip. Nice that people half their age told them to shut up. Also main reason why they were TEMPORARILY staff. Not bad for 8 years.

Then there are the comments and stories I heard during my early years in the work place. 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This has been on my mind for a while - I've been a drum corps fanboy for 32 years.  Doodled uniforms in my school notebooks, recorded the PBS VHS to audio cassette to put in my car.  Had shirts from like 18 corps.  Never got the chance to try out, so I kept geeking out from afar.   Had show posters in my office.  Raised my kids on corps.  One kiddo ended up being a DCI DM for two years.  Happily volunteered with the corps, ended up running the volunteers and becoming a BoD member, and in my final year, Board President and in some areas directly running operations.  Got to represent the corps at the annual meetings one year.  Got my name in the DCI program one time.  So yeah, lived the Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part Uno.

That said, there is *so* much that needs to be examined about how things are done that affect the member experience, in so many different areas - from compliance to risk to sports medicine to nutrition and more.  And outside of a few top-tier organizations, I don't know if everyone has the will to have these conversations.  I hope they do at some point.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

That said, there is *so* much that needs to be examined about how things are done that affect the member experience, in so many different areas - from compliance to risk to sports medicine to nutrition and more.  And outside of a few top-tier organizations, I don't know if everyone has the will to have these conversations.  I hope they do at some point.

Mike

To me ,the biggest "road block" to addressing a lot of the issues affecting the activity, including the ones you raised, is the lack of a true governing body.

This has been talked to death in sites like this, including from people like me.

The corps seem to really like the status quo.

A true  a governing body must  have the ability to implement and enforce standards all corps must follow.

That  includes having full time staff to be sure corps are providing proper nutrition, hygiene, including laundry and maximum number of hours of practice time per day.

Corps like using the 'umbrella" of being in DCI.

But, none of them seem to want to give up any "control" to anyone.

They want to remain what are basically "independent contractors" working on the same project. 

Its worked so far, even with some less then positive results.

So why change, unless they have to.

• Like 2