Phantom Regiment troubles?..

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

To me ,the biggest "road block" to addressing a lot of the issues affecting the activity, including the ones you raised, is the lack of a true governing body.

This has been talked to death in sites like this, including from people like me.

The corps seem to really like the status quo.

A true  a governing body must  have the ability to implement and enforce standards all corps must follow.

That  includes having full time staff to be sure corps are providing proper nutrition, hygiene, including laundry and maximum number of hours of practice time per day.

Corps like using the 'umbrella" of being in DCI.

But, none of them seem to want to give up any "control" to anyone.

They want to remain what are basically "independent contractors" working on the same project. 

Its worked so far, even with some less then positive results.

So why change, unless they have to.

They could start by adhering to OSHA standards for safety..... 

8 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

NOW people want to talk! Where were you back in the day???

It's easy to sit online and ask where people were "back in the day," but when it actually happens to you, things aren't so easy. Why do you think people wait years before they report their sexual trauma or other crimes to authorities? 

This is not to say I'm the victim of any of this, but as someone who has spoken to people who are victims of certain things, I can empathize with those who wait to report things like this. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

To me ,the biggest "road block" to addressing a lot of the issues affecting the activity, including the ones you raised, is the lack of a true governing body.

This has been talked to death in sites like this, including from people like me.

The corps seem to really like the status quo.

A true  a governing body must  have the ability to implement and enforce standards all corps must follow.

That  includes having full time staff to be sure corps are providing proper nutrition, hygiene, including laundry and maximum number of hours of practice time per day.

Corps like using the 'umbrella" of being in DCI.

But, none of them seem to want to give up any "control" to anyone.

They want to remain what are basically "independent contractors" working on the same project. 

Its worked so far, even with some less then positive results.

So why change, unless they have to.

agreed. its time that DCI, the corps, give DCI the organization, some teeth in this and other matters that have created all of the negative headlines the last several years.

what previous generations thought of as tough love or cool or proving toughness just doesn't fly now. it doesn't make the kids soft or wimps, it's just where the world is...and no offense, but had an instructor talked to me the way i've seen some talk about on here or on other forms of social media, i'd have been thrown out for telling them off and/or trying to kick their ### physically. while do give DCI, the organization some credit for cleaning up somewhat, there is more work to do, and anonymous hotlines isn't enough. look at all of the stories that led to Oregon Crusaders disappearing. you can mandate all of the zoom trainings and release all the mission statements you want, but allowing the inmates to police...or not police...themselves isn't fixing the issue.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

Should have thrown in a judge derail. 

include yourself for veiled personal attacks and/or bad attempts at humor

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's easy to sit online and ask where people were "back in the day," but when it actually happens to you, things aren't so easy. Why do you think people wait years before they report their sexual trauma or other crimes to authorities? 

This is not to say I'm the victim of any of this, but as someone who has spoken to people who are victims of certain things, I can empathize with those who wait to report things like this. 

agreed 10000%. and too often people want to blame the victim

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

They could start by adhering to OSHA standards for safety..... 

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

such as?

Spirit's crew that handled the "Bottle Tree" props did wear hard hats this past summer.  They were solid white & I think they also wore white coveralls as well?  (Or at least that's what I saw in my mind.)  They reminded me of the NASA ground crew.  #SafetyFirst :thumbs-up: 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.  One person's gutter can be another person's paradise.

I think I'm receiving carbon points for the small trees growing in my gutters.  Maybe time to clean but my wife won't let me up on the ladder at that height & I'm too cheap to pay someone.  (2-story problems)  🧐

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, LabMaster said:

such as?

Om my, railings, ramps and stairs being out of compliance etc.  Handling of heavy equipment, loading and unloading.

11 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Om my, railings, ramps and stairs being out of compliance etc.  Handling of heavy equipment, loading and unloading.

Which reminds me…. Who inspects the props to make sure they are safe for members to be on. If staff, where’s that inmates running the asylum comment from earlier.

And including DM podiums as props. Have seen some where people were holding the #### thing during a performance to keep it from tipping.

And to add to an earlier point. BITD who would a harassed person go to? My training always had who to report to and…. who to report to if you don’t trust the primary person (they might be the harasser). It’s all useless if you don’t know how to report.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1