Seattle Cascades.....

I went to the Seattle Cascades Show and Tell this past weekend. 68 total members is what I counted at the camp. My husband and I are very concerned are we wasting out money to send our son to this drum corps. We both marched in DCI many years ago. Are other west coast corps have any openings. The Seattle Cascades appears to have recruiting issues and we want the best for our son. 

Concerned Parent

Maybe see if the corps needs help in recruiting efforts?  The last 2 years have NOT been easy for any corps.  If they need help recruiting, see what you can do to help.  

Being a vet of a corps yourself, you should probably know the value of a drum corps and it's probably a personal/family decision where to spend your money.  The people pulling it together are likely volunteers and they are also likely burned out - almost everyone in the activity is. 

Lend a hand rather than being a Karen online.

• Like 1

How was the camp weekend for your son other than your concern about the size of the corps? Did he have a great experience? Did he come away having learned something that will improve his skills as a player? Was he pushed to achieve? If Cascades are a well run organization he’ll have a fantastic experience regardless of the size of the corps. If size is your only concern you haven’t done your due diligence. Seattle has been on the smaller side and placed lower competitively for years. That’s common knowledge and shouldn’t have come as a surprise to you. Their size hasn’t detracted from my enjoyment of their shows and admiration for what the kids are able to achieve. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of seeing the lower WC corps and OC corps struggling to fill out their corps because the new 165 limit is letting more people make the higher placing corps than would have happened with 154.  

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of seeing the lower WC corps and OC corps struggling to fill out their corps because the new 165 limit is letting more people make the higher placing corps than would have happened with 154.  

Added to instabilities due to Covid…. Bad time to make a change like this

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

not just lower level

• Sad 1

Early in the audition season, many lower ranking corps have fewer members at their audition camps.  The reality is kids often shoot high by auditioning for their first-choice corps and then get cut and trickle down to other corps as the winter progresses.  If your kid wants to stick with Cascades, I'd be patient.  Spots will get filled as the season progresses.  As far as the increase in corps size, yeah, an extra 11 at the top corps will siphon talent I suppose but also remember that a corps doesn't HAVE to have 165 members.  There is a minimum number that is far more important.  The larger questions for corps that had low audition turnouts to their in-person camps is whether or not they are capitalizing on the ability to accept virtual auditions.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Good points. Not everyone is comfortable traveling yet. 

I mean I can’t blame someone for not being comfortable traveling but I also wouldn’t bank on that person marching this year.