Bonfiglio/27th dispute

5 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Look at the 990's.........it took me all but 5 minutes to realize that the judge made the correct decision, and it was very cut and dry.......

I wasn’t passing judgement about this specific case, merely addressing some statements that might cause others to misunderstand how trials and appeals generally work.  

• Like 1

If anyone still wonders why DCI is where it is today, all they have to do is read some of the garbage comments by so-called "fans of the activity" in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Tommeee said:

If anyone still wonders why DCI is where it is today, all they have to do is read some of the garbage comments by so-called "fans of the activity" in this thread. 

oh drum corps has toxic fans.

and it's fair share of toxic leadership. which do you think actually contributed to the issues facing the activity today?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

On the contrary, percentages are the ONLY way to truly compare spending in a situation like DCI.  The idea with non-profits is to spend 15% or less on administrative expenses, no matter how big or small the budget.

For instance, in 2019 the Blue Devils spent $4.75 million dollars on expenses, but had $4.738 million in revenue.  Ideally, a non-profit should not have a profit at the end of the year.  Any excess revenue should be spent somewhere... so if BD spends an extra $250k on something administrative to keep from putting it in the bank, that's a good thing.  The administrative expenses were $1.26 million, or 26.4% though... that's too high.  The Blue Stars spent $1.54 million on expenses, but only 3.7% on administration.  Now, you can look at that and say that BD should have spent 10% of their admin money on something related to the program.  You can also look at the Blue Stars and say only $57,600 was spent on "administrative costs."  Well, their Executive Director and Corps Director make a combined $102,500... why is all of that not categorized as administrative?  

You have to use percentages for measuring spending, because budgets are never equal.  However, you are 100% correct that what is defined as administrative from corps to corps is a black hole financially.  It's a shame there aren't any financial rules requiring a uniform definition of admin costs.

P.S.   I have wanted to do a deep dive into corps' finances for years, but I just haven't had the time.  It's scary some of the things I've seen on these organizational financial evaluations. Several groups don't have an independent audit of their finances... EVER!!!  The balance sheet for some units is awash in red ink.  Given that the last 990 forms most corps have filed are pre-COVID, the picture they painted in 2020 is barely telling the truth about how close a lot of them are to insolvency.

Before your time here, but this was a good time around here.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, Tommeee said:

yup

On 1/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, Tommeee said:

I see a lot of posts expressing concern….  

1 hour ago, Continental said:

LOL

How so? I see the laughing face being used but no one explains what they mean. Been a bunch of things besides this being discussed recently that put the activity in a bad light. Get the feeling that some here think no one should discuss anything bad. And I sure as hell don’t think asking questions a “garbage comment”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1