Cavaliers Hazing Post on reddit drumcorps

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess we’ll find out eventually.   Or not.  Which isn’t good because it only makes people’s imaginations run wild. 

The only thing I can think of that could possibly be the reason is that there was a video that circulated on social media depicting Nick behaving "unprofessionally." The video was taken during the execution of his athletics band duties at the UC/Miami game in early September of this year. In the video, Nick appears to be intoxicated on the sidelines and marking time, while brandishing the UC drum major's mace in one hand and an unidentified beverage in the other. 

He looked to be having a great time and the video lasts all of 10 seconds. I don't know why it would have taken so long for UC to suspend him, or why Chris Nichter would also have been suspended. Maybe it isn't the reason, but I think we know how petty some folks are. 

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This got me thinking - has anyone crossed the equator aboard a ship?  There is a tradition of what might be considered hazing as 'polywogs' (first time crossing equator are initiated (via things like walking around the ship backwards (like a crab),  entertain crew that has already crossed equator, called  'shellbacks', culminating in kissing the belly of King Neptune (usually the sailor who has crossed the most times)).  And then everyone is a shellback.

Wondering how this fits into the hazing continuum.

I was a shellback in Guardsmen.  No,  I’m not polishing your shoes, 14 year old girl.

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was a shellback in Guardsmen.  No,  I’m not polishing your shoes, 14 year old girl.

I have no words.

• Haha 1

The only time I was hazed was by Delta Sigma Phi, but it wasn’t so bad. I spent half of Hell Week in Toronto for Canadian Nationals (Oakland Crusaders). We came in second. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:23 PM, skevinp said:

I prefer to be aware, empathetic, caring and compassionate in an honest, sincere and pragmatic way that focuses on solving problems and actually helping people as opposed to exploiting them for personal gain.  

And yet that's somehow seen as a bad thing by some people...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Anyone have any info or update to the UC Bearcat band directors suspension?  I'm thinking there's probably some type of investigation ongoing & the administration/board wouldn't make any decisions until that was completed at their Jan, Feb, or March meetings?  Guess they have someone filling in until such date?  For review, here's the local tv station's report from December prior to the semi game:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

• 1 month later...

Not sure anyone cares, but the Cincinnati Bearcat band directors have been reinstated after an investigation of conduct with a directive to complete an improvement plan.  Investigation cited what sounds like verbal abuse, humiliation, lack of compassion for student scheduling issues, etc.  Hopefully everything will improve. 🤔   

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2022/02/25/uc-bearcat-bands-directors-return-work-following-suspension/6943166001/

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

I'm sorry, is lack of compassion for student scheduling an issue? I mean, that's not really abuse these days is it?

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:49 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

The only time I was hazed was by Delta Sigma Phi, but it wasn’t so bad. I spent half of Hell Week in Toronto for Canadian Nationals (Oakland Crusaders). We came in second. 

I was there at Canadian Nationals with you. I didn't think the Offensive Lions would beat us. It took me a long time to get over that.☹️ I got hazed in the Oakland Crusaders.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm sorry, is lack of compassion for student scheduling an issue? I mean, that's not really abuse these days is it?

Need more details on this. Is it a calm “Choose band or something else” or yelling “wth do you mean you have a conflict”.

• Like 1