Cavaliers Hazing Post on reddit drumcorps

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Need more details on this. Is it a calm “Choose band or something else” or yelling “wth do you mean you have a conflict”.

I’m kind of surprised that they didn’t have to take sensitivity training beforehand. Jim had to take it while working at home.   Some huge corporations he does work for have their own training you have to take even to be a Subcontractor for them.  There is a test at the end that you have to pass. 

• Like 1

Not trying to be like, "kids these days...and their Karents"...but....

Over the last year, I've had more students (high school MB guards, college MB guards, drum corps) feel VERY entitled to miss rehearsals and performances for really any reason they cared to.  When pointing out that they *committed* to a particular organization, that means you don't then go and commit to something else (obviously, this is different than shifting family dynamics, which might require someone to quit an org to get a job, etc).  

There are some who still get what it means to commit and stick with.  But there are WAY more young people who do not understand that, and their Karents are also not on board with holding them accountable.  I saw an incredible band director get raked through the mud and be called "unprofessional" by a student trying to get out of a very important performance. 

(Adding clarity - none of the above has to do with the band directors mentioned, just an observation in the mentality shift coming out of the pandemic)

Edited by NewToPosting
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, boxingfred said:

I was there at Canadian Nationals with you. I didn't think the Offensive Lions would beat us. It took me a long time to get over that.☹️ I got hazed in the Oakland Crusaders.

I thought we would win. I remember we beat the Offensive Lions at DCI Prelims by a small margin. I heard at that time that an Offensive Lion member talked to one of our members and told him that OL would practice their butts off and beat us at Canadian Nationals. Well, you might remember we took a break when we got home. My corps girl friend and I went to Niagara Falls and then to my home in Detroit. We saw a touring company production of Man of La Mancha then came back to Toronto for Nationals. All the while, I presume OL practiced their heinies off.

We had a really good rehearsal before the show and I believe we had our best performance of the year that night. I really thought we would win, but we came in second. I drove home through the night, and picked up my frat’s Hell week in mid stream. Talk about a rude reentry! 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

On 3/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I thought we would win. I remember we beat the Offensive Lions at DCI Prelims by a small margin.

I'm loving that there was a corps called the Offensive Lions.

And if they're my rival, I'm calling them the Cowardly Lions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I'm loving that there was a corps called the Offensive Lions.

And if they're my rival, I'm calling them the Cowardly Lions.

The weird thing is that we didn’t think of the Offensive Lions as rivals. Seneca was our rivals, though we owned them all year. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:44 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I’m kind of surprised that they didn’t have to take sensitivity training beforehand. Jim had to take it while working at home.   Some huge corporations he does work for have their own training you have to take even to be a Subcontractor for them.  There is a test at the end that you have to pass. 

Writing the eLearns for my company (and several others) throughout the year takes up about 15% of my time on a yearly basis. It used to take FAR longer before authoring tools like Articulate and RISE. I pretty much have it almost in a template form and just drop in some client specific rules, logos etc etc etc at this point. That's why I don't quite understand why the cost associated with enacting this type of thing gets thrown around as an extreme expense. It's really NOT that bad. The development hours have been absorbed by the 3 million companies before you. 

Terry to your point, most large companies now have yearly mandatory compliance courses (especially 3rd party vendors) for existing employees (scaled according to your managerial level) and then new employees take theirs during some kind of onboarding. Compliance course hosting, assignment, tracking and reporting is usually included when you have your course designed. Generally speaking, if you don't pass, then you cannot continue employment. 

I think I had to do 90 hours this year. The funny part is that I WROTE about 8 hours worth of the material that I had to take. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:49 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

The only time I was hazed was by Delta Sigma Phi, but it wasn’t so bad. I spent half of Hell Week in Toronto for Canadian Nationals (Oakland Crusaders). We came in second. 

Where are you in the video?

Edited by Continental