Cavaliers Hazing Post on reddit drumcorps

11 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Going to go O.T.:

When I was in college several of the guys on my floor had 1 goal.

Become a "Beta" (Beta,Theta,Pi).

When they pledged, they spent all their time on their pledge duties.

Forget classes.

They all made it.

But 3 out of 5 of them flunked out at the end of their Freshman year.

My roommate pledged after that.

He came back from pledge meetings bloody and covered in 

all kinds of crap (sometimes literal crap).

He made it, but quit the Frat in his Junior year.

He said he had had enough of making people  "prove themselves  worthy" of being

a member.

it's why i never joined one. and while my corps had a "rookie talent night" the only requirement was make us laugh. we didn't encourage anything crazy or beat people

53 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The UC administration stated that "they don't discuss personnel issues" per their policy.  But then this article or maybe the local TV station story pointed out a couple of events where they did discuss the 'personnel issues' for some past events.  They kind of caught them in a 'double standard' situation.      

It wasn’t the enquirer article but I was sent three or four of them so I’ll go read through them again. 

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It wasn’t the enquirer article but I was sent three or four of them so I’ll go read through them again. 

Found it in the article; it was in this stations story:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/i-team/uc-put-top-two-bearcats-band-employees-on-leave-two-weeks-before-cotton-bowl

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

The UC administration stated that "they don't discuss personnel issues" per their policy.  But then this article or maybe the local TV station story pointed out a couple of events where they did discuss the 'personnel issues' for some past events.  They kind of caught them in a 'double standard' situation.      

Well, unless the policy changed, or the policy is defined differently for different situations, or they screwed up last time and don’t want to make the same mistake again, or they simply misinterpreted it, or any of who knows how many other explanations.  

The media loves to play these gotcha games.  We have to keep our wits and view their attempts to do our thinking for us with the same level of suspicion we would view a mixed drink from George Hopkins.

Edited by skevinp

I pledged Sigma Alpha Epsilon at the University of Southern California.  I don't know what happened with the Cavaliers but I bet it was nothing in comparison.  Nevertheless, it was one of the best decisions of my life and they're my brothers to this day.

In the Kingsmen there was no mistreatment of rookies whatsoever when I marched.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I pledged Sigma Alpha Epsilon at the University of Southern California.  I don't know what happened with the Cavaliers but I bet it was nothing in comparison.  Nevertheless, it was one of the best decisions of my life and they're my brothers to this day.

In the Kingsmen there was no mistreatment of rookies whatsoever when I marched.  

When I joined corps in 1971, there was some harmless initiation.  When I joined Guardsmen  in 1976,  I was 18 years old and I guess they tried the same kind of innocuous stuff but I wasn’t playing along.  So, it went away.  😂 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

When I joined corps in 1971, there was some harmless initiation.  When I joined Gusrdsmen in 1976,  I was 18 years old and I guess they tried the same kind of innocuous stuff but I wasn’t playing along.  So, it went away.  😂 

This got me thinking - has anyone crossed the equator aboard a ship?  There is a tradition of what might be considered hazing as 'polywogs' (first time crossing equator are initiated (via things like walking around the ship backwards (like a crab),  entertain crew that has already crossed equator, called  'shellbacks', culminating in kissing the belly of King Neptune (usually the sailor who has crossed the most times)).  And then everyone is a shellback.

Wondering how this fits into the hazing continuum.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
punctuation
  • Like 1