2022 Season Predictions

10 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Same here. And I think we just have to accept in drum corps that not all corps or shows have to get everyone of us excited. Crown is great, super high quality in what they do. I just have not dug them since, again, 2016.

Used to be that way for the Blue Devils. I applaud their unmatched stay at the top of drum corps. But only recently have I found their really appealing.

Appreciating the quality and talent on display in a show doesn't have to always lead to getting goosebumps over the show itself.

Without a doubt. Heck, I remember when posters.... Including myself, (it was 2010 and I was a kid fresh out of his first year in college........ but The Cavaliers comeback that season was amazing) were extremely anti-Blue Devils. But I like how they kept their composure..... obviously. 

But... Cavies still win.... I couldn't help it lol

5 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Without a doubt. Heck, I remember when posters.... Including myself, (it was 2010 and I was a kid fresh out of his first year in college........ but The Cavaliers comeback that season was amazing) were extremely anti-Blue Devils. But I like how they kept their composure..... obviously. 

But... Cavies still win.... I couldn't help it lol

As a BD Honk, 2009-2013..........i consider those the golden years of DCI lol. The hate that was spewed towards BD in those years was highly entertaining. The contradictions and double standards towards BD...................accusations of paying off judges from posters who claimed to be tapped into the highest levels of DCI, yet somehow in this era of camera phones, video/audio, no one could produce a single shred of evidence this was happening. Gee i wonder why lol.

Yea DCP was in rare form those years. Watching grown adults get so upset over a 11-12min show performed by a bunch of 18-21 year olds lol. 

But it did get better starting in 2014. DCP was showing BD lots of love these past several years.

Still my favorite DCP highlight was in 2015 when BD added the young lady Clara to the "INK" show. The BD haters were out in full force counting members hoping and praying Clara would put them over the maximum number, so they could complain and get BD disqualified or something lol. It was just hilarious to see. 

The other highlight same year, were the haters shortly after finals that claimed BD added Clara to the show at the last minute, because they were terrified of Crown, so BD needed a 10 year old to win. Except for the fact that in the BD360 series that year, there is a vid from the Family Day in mid-June where BD talks about discovering Clara. She was in the plans from day one lol.

Over the years i have learned to appreciate the BD haters. I realized the haters are extremely important to the Blue Devils Brand, because in order for them to hate and cause discontent, they have to mention BD. And as long as they are talking about BD positive or negative, it keeps them relevant. Any publicity is good publicity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/4/2022 at 9:53 AM, guard2004 said:

If we're going for consistency in the past 21 years, Cadets absolutely have a win over Boston.  My predictions have definetely changed but I don't see Boston medaling still.  Maybe a 4th place.  People were saying Boston would medal in 2019.  They dropped a placement.  2021 was an awkward show. They effectively forced almost all drill to the right side of the field for a show that was supposed to be about being virtual when all signs pointed to it being more about extremem sports (in my opinion).  I'm not trying to crap all over Boston but I don't think they should be put on a pedestal until they actually make it to that pedestal if that makes sense.  From what I've heard, the two corps rising the most this year will be Boston and Cadets.  

I think that unless a corps has very similar staff from its 2019 counterparts, going off 2019 is not a great option for predicting.  And cadets wont be going through 5 drill writers like they did in 2019 lol.  Massive  positve changes were made, especiall after our corps director was the assistant director at Boston during their 2017-2019 period of massive improvement.

From what I saw through streams last year Boston fielded the most talented hornline. If they retain most of their hornline I would say they have a pretty decent chance at a medal, bizarre show design and all.

9 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Over the years i have learned to appreciate the BD haters. I realized the haters are extremely important to the Blue Devils Brand, because in order for them to hate and cause discontent, they have to mention BD. And as long as they are talking about BD positive or negative, it keeps them relevant. Any publicity is good publicity. 

This reason is almost always motivated by fear, and it’s what’s behind most of this BD charged hatred. Which makes taking the big toy home to Concord all the better.

• Like 2

Based on DCI 'Fill Every Corps' chart on Reddit, it seems that there are many positions (428 Brass, 219 Percussion, 355 Guard, 10 Conductors, & 60 other positions) open.

So, my probably not popular prediction is that we will see a number of Corps not at the 165-member level.  The top Corps will likely be full, but some further down the line won't be won't be.  And a related question is whether some Corps will accept less-talented members just to 'fill a hole' & perhaps live with lower execution scores.   Or do you re-design the show for the number of performers you have at the desired talent level? 

The irony is that DCI is celebrating its 50th anniversary, and those of us that remember the 70s-80s remember 'Corps X' is small this year.  I suspect we'll be saying this come June.

Reddit link is below.  The Reddit commenters seem to think cost is a major barrier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/u36m96/stop_for_those_of_you_about_to_ask_should_i_march/

57 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Reddit link is below.  The Reddit commenters seem to think cost is a major barrier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/u36m96/stop_for_those_of_you_about_to_ask_should_i_march/

The comments under the post on FB was the cost of tuition as well.  There are also some comments about tuition coupled with the current inflation rate.  Some stated that the guard numbers haven't changed, but should drop after the WGI finals this past weekend.      

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The comments under the post on FB was the cost of tuition as well.  There are also some comments about tuition coupled with the current inflation rate.  Some stated that the guard numbers haven't changed, but should drop after the WGI finals this past weekend.      

Yes, I know guards tend to fill after WGI.  But I am a bit surprised about number of brass, as well as battery percussion.  I was under impression that battery was the section that historically had the most individuals trying out for limited spots.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

As a BD Honk, 2009-2013..........i consider those the golden years of DCI lol. The hate that was spewed towards BD in those years was highly entertaining. The contradictions and double standards towards BD...................accusations of paying off judges from posters who claimed to be tapped into the highest levels of DCI, yet somehow in this era of camera phones, video/audio, no one could produce a single shred of evidence this was happening. Gee i wonder why lol.

Yea DCP was in rare form those years. Watching grown adults get so upset over a 11-12min show performed by a bunch of 18-21 year olds lol. 

But it did get better starting in 2014. DCP was showing BD lots of love these past several years.

Still my favorite DCP highlight was in 2015 when BD added the young lady Clara to the "INK" show. The BD haters were out in full force counting members hoping and praying Clara would put them over the maximum number, so they could complain and get BD disqualified or something lol. It was just hilarious to see. 

The other highlight same year, were the haters shortly after finals that claimed BD added Clara to the show at the last minute, because they were terrified of Crown, so BD needed a 10 year old to win. Except for the fact that in the BD360 series that year, there is a vid from the Family Day in mid-June where BD talks about discovering Clara. She was in the plans from day one lol.

I completely forgot about BD "paying" the judges lol!!!

• Haha 1

Back to predictions. I don't know why most of us wouldn't expect BD to be a little favored for another title. Maybe the year off from competition matters. I doubt it does much.

Boston, Cavies, Bluecoats, Crown, and Santa Clara surely reliably follow in some order. No way I know how to divvy the spots up here in April. Would be great to see the Cavaliers medal. But that's only a fan's wish, not a prediction. And it wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if, rather than BD, one of that group of five above won it all.

More interesting, I think, will be the scurrying for the next few placements. Cadets, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Phantom seem to group together in some order. And then Mandarins, Crossmen, Academy...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, I know guards tend to fill after WGI.  But I am a bit surprised about number of brass, as well as battery percussion.  I was under impression that battery was the section that historically had the most individuals trying out for limited spots.

For proper context,  we should all keep in mind that DCI website noting current openings pertains to current openings in both the World Class Division Corps AND in the Open Class Division Corps. There about equal numbers of World Class Div. Corps as Open Class Div. Corps. I would imagine significant numbers of the brass and battery percussion current openings are found in the Open Class Corps who yearly are always looking for some marchers to fill out their open spots right up to move ins.

• Like 1