2022 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

For proper context,  we should all keep in mind that DCI website noting current openings pertains to current openings in both the World Class Division Corps AND in the Open Class Division Corps. There about equal numbers of World Class Div. Corps as Open Class Div. Corps. I would imagine significant numbers of the brass and battery percussion current openings are found in the Open Class Corps who yearly are always looking for some marchers to fill out their open spots right up to move ins.

Link to this spreadsheet is from the Reddit discussion.  Has openings broken down by Corps.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19vPuwuvdsZbZKURtC44aP5b6cXg0MapKNI4PcuGEd5o/edit#gid=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Having difficulties filling spots is not that surprising. 165 members is one challenge but I’m wondering if recruitment issues may be pandemic related, at least indirectly. Right now thirty five corps are listed for prelims in August. Of the thirty five, fourteen were inactive on 2021. There are more places to march this year. Many if not all band circuits were inactive in the fall of 2020, and many schools had a hiatus on music performance programs until this past fall. A great deal of recruitment is through bands. A lost year has to hurt. These factors did not magically disappear when the 2021 school year began. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Having difficulties filling spots is not that surprising. 165 members is one challenge but I’m wondering if recruitment issues may be pandemic related, at least indirectly. Right now thirty five corps are listed for prelims in August. Of the thirty five, fourteen were inactive on 2021. There are more places to march this year. Many if not all band circuits were inactive in the fall of 2020, and many schools had a hiatus on music performance programs until this past fall. A great deal of recruitment is through bands. A lost year has to hurt. These factors did not magically disappear when the 2021 school year began. 

This is only partially true. A good many of the country’s top band programs fielded an exhibition show for the fall of 2020. Most of them can be found on YouTube. And then there are the Texas bands. They didn’t skip a beat. UIL held a delayed but full season of marching band in 2020. The shows were a couple minutes shorter (since the kids weren’t able to have any kind of camps over the summer) but the quality was on par with a normal year. So yes, some kids from smaller or lesser known programs probably have gotten a little rusty but definitely not the kids from the larger programs. 

But even then, all the high school bands were back for fall of 2021 and, at least at the BOA level, it felt like a normal year judging by the quality of shows I saw. Heck, Broken Arrow even broke the scoring record with their Grand Nationals Finals performance in 2021. And you could very easily make the argument that they weren’t even the best band in the country last year. Hebron HS from Texas fielded their strongest show to date in 2021 and they probably would’ve won it all had they attended Grand Nationals. 

Edited by crownisking

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Based on DCI 'Fill Every Corps' chart on Reddit, it seems that there are many positions (428 Brass, 219 Percussion, 355 Guard, 10 Conductors, & 60 other positions) open.

So, my probably not popular prediction is that we will see a number of Corps not at the 165-member level.  The top Corps will likely be full, but some further down the line won't be won't be.  And a related question is whether some Corps will accept less-talented members just to 'fill a hole' & perhaps live with lower execution scores.   Or do you re-design the show for the number of performers you have at the desired talent level? 

The irony is that DCI is celebrating its 50th anniversary, and those of us that remember the 70s-80s remember 'Corps X' is small this year.  I suspect we'll be saying this come June.

Reddit link is below.  The Reddit commenters seem to think cost is a major barrier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/u36m96/stop_for_those_of_you_about_to_ask_should_i_march/

Are there talented students out there who want to march, but don't have the economic means? I think if we are all being honest about that we'd say, "yes" unequivocally. 

Student scholarships and member sponsorships by many folks try to address these unequitable issues, but does that really make our activity truly "equitable" from an economic standpoint?  I think student economic status does play a major role in filling out these rosters.  I also think it is easier for upper corps to fill their rosters. Better players after all usually have private teachers (private instruction is not cheap). The students that come to the upper corps don't need to learn how to double or triple tongue either for that matter (in the case of brass). Many of these students who perform in the upper ranks are also going to music colleges these days and that is not a cheap endeavor either. 

So while a corps may lower its talent standards, to fill their roster, that still doesn't level the playing field and make it truly equitable for all students.  I don't see this aspect changing anytime soon or should it change? I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

I also am not sure if my response fits this "prediction thread" and is off-topic. If so, I apologize for that.

Alright yall, I have made my 2022 placement predictions. This obviously going to be completely wrong. Truthfully, it took me a bit to think about it and I just realized that this is my first placement prediction since 2019. It's been a long couple of years. I'm going to start with 12th and move up to 1st. 

12-Pacific Crest

11- Blue Stars 

10- Blue Knights 

9- Crossmen

8- The Cadets 

7- Boston Crusaders 

6- Phantom Regiment 

5- Carolina Crown 

4- Bluecoats 

3- Santa Clara Vanguard 

2- Blue Devils

1- The Cavaliers 

Ok, keep in mind I'm doing this for fun and I doubt this will happen. But let me explain...

I would like to see another new corps in the top 12. I think it'll be fun to see PC in the hubt for that spot. I really do think Phantom Regiment will be the most improves corps of the season. Finishing 6th seems extremely out of the ordinary, but hey, it's DCI. It could happen. I really didn't want to put Boston at the 7th place position, but I think it's going to be a battle with Phantom and Boston all season long. Its going to be fun to watch! Did I put The Cavaliers in 1st because I'm possibly their biggest fan? Actually, no. If you sit back and think about it, they have really built a competitive corps that has produced amazing shows since 2016. You have to give credit where credit is due. But logically, they will finish 3rd, but I think they should at least be in the hunt and the discussion. Just don't quit and don't fear any corps. 

Alright... please don't destroy me lol!!!! I'm excited to see some DCI again!!! Wooo! 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Alright yall, I have made my 2022 placement predictions. This obviously going to be completely wrong. Truthfully, it took me a bit to think about it and I just realized that this is my first placement prediction since 2019. It's been a long couple of years. I'm going to start with 12th and move up to 1st. 

12-Pacific Crest

11- Blue Stars 

10- Blue Knights 

9- Crossman

8- The Cadets 

7- Boston Crusaders 

6- Phantom Regiment 

5- Carolina Crown 

4- Bluecoats 

3- Santa Clara Vanguard 

2- Blue Devils

1- The Cavaliers 

Ok, keep in mind I'm doing this for fun and I doubt this will happen. But let me explain...

I would like to see another new corps in the top 12. I think it'll be fun to see PC in the hubt for that spot. I really do think Phantom Regiment will be the most improves corps of the season. Finishing 6th seems extremely out of the ordinary, but hey, it's DCI. It could happen. I really didn't want to put Boston at the 7th place position, but I think it's going to be a battle with Phantom and Boston all season long. Its going to be fun to watch! Did I put The Cavaliers in 1st because I'm possibly their biggest fan? Actually, no. If you sit back and think about it, they have really built a competitive corps that has produced amazing shows since 2016. You have to give credit where credit is due. But logically, they will finish 3rd, but I think they should at least be in the hunt and the discussion. Just don't quit and don't fear any corps. 

Alright... please don't destroy me lol!!!! I'm excited to see some DCI again!!! Wooo! 

You still have my Blue Devils in the top two so I am good LMAO. 

Pac Crest in the top 12? Love it! Although it comes at the expense of knocking the Mandarins out (that sucks)

Can't wait to see the day we get all four world class California corps in the top 12. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

You still have my Blue Devils in the top two so I am good LMAO. 

Pac Crest in the top 12? Love it! Although it comes at the expense of knocking the Mandarins out (that sucks)

Can't wait to see the day we get all four world class California corps in the top 12. 

I wanted to keep the Mandrians in and also add Madison, but I couldn't do it just yet. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies

20 hours ago, Poppycock said:

This reason is almost always motivated by fear, and it’s what’s behind most of this BD charged hatred. Which makes taking the big toy home to Concord all the better.

I don't know, I think parity among the drum corps makes the activity more interesting. As it stands BD essentially soaks up all of the other corps vets that want to win first place for their age out year, not to mention their show designs are intentionally bizarre and meant to please the judges rather than the crowds

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Link to this spreadsheet is from the Reddit discussion.  Has openings broken down by Corps.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19vPuwuvdsZbZKURtC44aP5b6cXg0MapKNI4PcuGEd5o/edit#gid=0

Any idea of the full heading of the three color guard captions? Can’t expand the column with my phone. Just see “color guard” for all 3

Edited by JimF-LowBari