2022 Season Predictions

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

yes!

Or your members can not perform what was given...above their heads, over designed for them etc. Trying to be something they aren't.

A good designer designs for their members, challenges BUT writes for ability, NOT their own ego!

this is very true, but not all of it. sometimes designers try to be too deep, trying to make a point with their "art".

every week i still look to see what Thursday brings, for the big event

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is very true, but not all of it. sometimes designers try to be too deep, trying to make a point with their "art".

every week i still look to see what Thursday brings, for the big event

I think that's true as I said " Ego "  with that said there have been dozens of shows over the years that the art of it ( or at least the deep meaning) " didn't matter because the members were so darn good at what they did. and of course there's  the opposite of that...lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in terms of fan engagement or scores? I'd say honestly the former, not the latter

Definitely engagement. Probably less so on scoring.

I gave up trying to figure out scoring once I observed that corps that mess up on electronics never appear to be penalized for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I gave up trying to figure out scoring once I observed that corps that mess up on electronics never appear to be penalized for it.

Yup, and I see drops from corps who get perfect guard scores and dominate the caption.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

That’s a pet-peeve of mine too. I can understand scores not being impacted if it is the fault of the venue which can be a reason for delays, but if it is the fault of the corps, that’s a different matter. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yup, and I see drops from corps who get perfect guard scores and dominate the caption.

Obviously I am not a guard person, but it was explained to me that the drops is not what gets you penalized, it's the recovery. Any guard people here that can chime in and confirm this?

BTW there is no such thing as a perfect score. In 2012 after BD's guard popped a 20 on finals night, Crown fans told me that there is no such thing as a perfect score in any caption. Corps can only achieve the maximum score. 

But then again 365 days later in 2013 when Crown's brass popped a 20 on finals night, those same Crown fans that attacked me the previous year where here in DCP congratulating Crown on their "PERFECT" score in brass. 

IDK........ I just chalked it up to if DCP likes you, it's a perfect. They don't like you, it's a maximum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Obviously I am not a guard person, but it was explained to me that the drops is not what gets you penalized, it's the recovery. Any guard people here that can chime in and confirm this?

BTW there is no such thing as a perfect score. In 2012 after BD's guard popped a 20 on finals night, Crown fans told me that there is no such thing as a perfect score in any caption. Corps can only achieve the maximum score. 

But then again 365 days later in 2013 when Crown's brass popped a 20 on finals night, those same Crown fans that attacked me the previous year where here in DCP congratulating Crown on their "PERFECT" score in brass. 

IDK........ I just chalked it up to if DCP likes you, it's a perfect. They don't like you, it's a maximum. 

There is no such thing as perfect but the highest with the numbers allotted. You can also be the best even with a drop. There are many elements that go into an entire production and a guard could literally have no visible errors yet have a very inferior product. 

With that all said, these top guards  ( ALL OF THEM ) aren't playing with alot of numbers so the high quality of a lower guard can certainly push those above them to appear to earn a so called " perfect score " 

Not perfect just highest.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

With that all said, these top guards  ( ALL OF THEM ) aren't playing with alot of numbers so the high quality of a lower guard can certainly push those above them to appear to earn a so called " perfect score " 

Not perfect just highest.

That’s a complex sentence with a complex concept. I read it … took a sip of my Old Fashioned, read it again, and got it , and agreed. See? I keep saying bourbon helps. 

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, mjoakes said:

that still annoys me to no end. if its a show long issue, well, the judges should have the balls to make the point with more than commentary.