2022 Season Predictions

1 minute ago, Big Bird said:

I mean if you’re telling them how terrible the current activity is no wonder

The only thing I tell them that's terrible is the cost 💁 but if you want to get people interested in something you have to show them something and Tilt has been the show for kids. 

If you want to continue a pissing match my DMs are wide open. 

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I just don't get the hype. Maybe it has to be love but replays don't seem to have that energy everyone is talking about. But I also have only been WOW'd by BD so far. 

Oh I am wow'd by BD for sure! BD got huge receptions at all three shows over the weekend. Tempus Blue is going to be a monster in August. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Idk I havent been a fan of design for a couple years. I understand world class is supposed to be pushing the envelope grandma doesn't get it but it also becomes segmented. If you can't tell what the theme is what's the point?

Do you scoff at a painting or sculpture in a museum because you don't understand it? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Do you scoff at a painting or sculpture in a museum because you don't understand it? 

Sometimes, yes. You're making a good point to think about, but inaccessibility isn't a requirement for good art.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I was at the ‘tute years ago and there was an exhibit of blurry photos.  It was a woman on horseback taking photos.  I have to say that confused the hell out of me. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Sometimes, yes. You're making a good point to think about, but inaccessibility isn't a requirement for good art.

Accessibility isn't a requirement for good art either 😊

This conversation reminds me of highschool* when I was taking AP Literature and we were reading Heart of Darkness and Jane Eyre. In our class, we had to take detailed annotations of what we were reading looking into any and all symbolism we could find in what we were reading and the way it would elevate the thematic objectives of the author. Our exams would essentially consist of longform essays responding to a prompt imploring us to flesh out all the symbolism we identified in the book and how they correlate to specific themes in the book. 

A lot of my classmates seemed to be pretty good at it. For me, it was no easier than becoming a rocket scientist. I didn't understand it. How did lightning striking a chestnut tree symbolize the fracturing of the relationship between two characters? Are you seriously telling me that's what the author intended? To me, that class overcomplicated art to the point that it was not enjoyable to consume. I wanted to enjoy the story for what it was at the surface level. 

I see DCI in the same way. Why does there have to be an understandable and easily comprehended theme? Isn't good music and visuals good enough to entertain? If it is easily understandable whatever "story" is occurring, then great, but is it really the end of the world if you can't understand? 

This philosophy extends into my general life too. I find people who overcomplicate the small stuff generally are more unhappy. I always try to appreciate things for how they are. I don't try to find deeper meaning in the things I consume, the words that are said to me in conversation, etc. What's the point of that? I just try to appreciate what I see as is. 

But that's just me

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The only thing I tell them that's terrible is the cost 💁 but if you want to get people interested in something you have to show them something and Tilt has been the show for kids. 

If you want to continue a pissing match my DMs are wide open. 

Shows I would show students off the top of my head Bloo 2014, Crown 2012, Crown 2016, BD 2017, SCV 2018,   They all have a lot for students to like with them having their visions fully realized, lots of heart, excellent music, and aren’t really as gimmicky as some other I could name.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I see DCI in the same way. Why does there have to be an understandable and easily comprehended theme? Isn't good music and visuals good enough to entertain? If it is easily understandable whatever "story" is occurring, then great, but is it really the end of the world if you can't understand? 

But that's just me

It’s not just you. I don’t need to keep peeling back an onion until there is nothing left.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree and like how you said this. There is much in DCI that I don't understand as well as others understand, especially all the music selections and nuances. That doesn't prevent me from just enjoying entertaining shows. Maybe my comment about inaccessibility was more accurately saying I'm usually just annoyed by the hype and - what to me seems like needless - posturing around a lot of the themes. Just play and march (or run and dance) and thrill me.

Edited by mjoakes
stupid writing
  • Like 1