2022 Season Predictions

The scores are uncharacteristically low for the early seasons shows up to here the 4th of July . This may not represent the quality so much of the corps as a group , but instead the judging community may be giving themselves some latitude to start low , giving themselves more opportunity to compare and contrast and make in season adjustments based upon the reality of being away from judging these corps in competition for 2 years . We have had seasons with top tier corps scoring over 80 by now . But it’s about 5-6 points below that benchmark this season at the moment . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

The scores are uncharacteristically low for the early seasons shows up to here the 4th of July . This may not represent the quality so much of the corps as a group , but instead the judging community may be giving themselves some latitude to start low , giving themselves more opportunity to compare and contrast and make in season adjustments based upon the reality of being away from judging these corps in competition for 2 years . We have had seasons with top tier corps scoring over 80 by now . But it’s about 5-6 points below that benchmark this season at the moment . 

No doubt. Blue Devils just hit a 75 and I would imagine their average score by July 4 would be closer to 80 or so. I think the season starting later has much to do with it. Some corps did not start until July 2. I imagine some shows are not going to come close to peaking until right up to Finals week. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt. Blue Devils just hit a 75 and I would imagine their average score by July 4 would be closer to 80 or so. I think the season starting later has much to do with it. Some corps did not start until July 2. I imagine some shows are not going to come close to peaking until right up to Finals week. 

It seems very obvious the entire activity has some rust to work off. Production quality and performances are clearly lower across the board. That’s fine, most of us didn’t think the props and prod arms race was sustainable, but there is a lot of sloppiness on the field right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Usually by July 4 we have a much better read on shows even if they are not quite hitting their peak performance. This summer is more difficult. Not enough shows to go by. 

Tier One: Blue Devils

• not their cleanest show in Arizona but I like the changes I am seeing and they simply have the best combination of marching technique, body control, total music ensemble, and guard. The props are elegant and work well and the uniforms are stunning

Tier Two: Carolina Crown, SCV, Bluecoats, Boston

• Excellent music ensembles for all four. Any one of these corps could make the jump into Tier One with BD and perhaps challenge. As of now my money is on Carolina Crown, but the other 3 have a shot. 

Tier Three: Cavaliers, Cadets, Phantom, Blue Stars

• Cavaliers may jump into Tier Two as they clean more and solidify the focus of the show. The Cadets are just fun and have a wonderful show concept with some great drill and music. Phantom has my favorite show of the summer. The music is just AWESOME. But there is a lot to clean. I'd give the Cavaliers the edge for sure in moving up a tier.  But the Blue Stars could make a big jump as well with their excellent brass and guard, especially if their percussion scores begin to soar.  My second reading on them was so different. They blew me away and with the right tweaks and improvement they could top this group of corps.

Tier Four: Mandarins, Blue Knights 

• I love the Mandarins show and that brass line is for real,  I do not think BK will challenge them but you never know. I am most excited to see how Mandarins do because they are very talented and I love the show. 

It will take me time to get a better read on Crossmen, Colts, Academy, PC, can't wait to see Troopers, and I need to view the Madison show a little more. They sound good to me but they were not moving a lot. I think more is to come with that show.

I want to make it clear that The Spartans absolutely ROCKED me. That show is fabulous! If you have not seen this group do your best to catch a show on FLO in which they are performing, of if you are out East go and see them if you can. 

Also, I can't wait to see Music City. They were one of my favorite shows last year. I was thrilled with Jersey Surf the other day. Jersey Surf is also one of my favorite East Coast corps and they have grown over the years in size and excellence.  I am truly loving most of the shows and despite the talk of competition it is nice to just enjoy the amazing efforts we are seeing from these young people. 

Can you really have only one corps in a tier?  jk.

• Like 1

I've reserved judgement to see all the shows to make my prediction:

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

3. Carolina Crown 

4. SCV

5. Cavaliers

6. Boston Crusaders

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Cadets

9. Blue Stars

10. Crossmen

11. Colts

12. Mandarins

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My guess:

1. BD

2. SCV

3. Crown

4. Bloo

5. BAC

6. Cavies

7. Mandarins

8. Cadets

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Troopers! (Why not… haven’t seen them yet, but my son’s roommate marches with them, so yeah.)

On 7/4/2022 at 10:48 AM, Boss Anova said:

Any fans dismissing, the Cadets are going to be in for a wake up call . I have seen them live in competition ( same with Boston Crusaders and others ). Assessing corps without seeing and hearing  them live is fraught with peril . I have not seen but a very few of these corps live this summer and as such will await the national head to head competition to determine what is real and what is imagined from non live competition assessments . 

getting to see LIVE drum corps for the second time this season TONIGHT & cannot wait!! I'm digging this DE show, easy drive from DC; over the bridge and then 1 hour > in drum corps time that's not even a half-block; practically feels like it's across the street 🤣

• Like 3