2022 Season Predictions

11 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

, not to mention their show designs are intentionally bizarre and meant to please the judges rather than the crowds

I don't think you are being fair here and being a bit disengenous towards BD. They write designs that are meant to win.  PERIOD.

As far as meant to please crowds, I personally have many times(not always) been VERY pleased with their show. I would easily put say 2017 in my top 6 of all-time performances from any corps.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Boston hasn't shown in any way they can compete with BD, SCV, and Bluecoats from a design and talent perspective (except their guard, of course), Cavies from a design perspective, or Crown from a talent perspective (except their guard).

Maybe Boston will medal, but I don't think they have a pretty decent chance to do so. I would say they have an extremely slight outside chance to medal. It's going to take A LOT more than they have shown 2017-2019 (from both a design and talent standpoint) for them to crack the top 

I don't even know where to start with a reply. I remember back in 2019, you trashing the design team at Boston literally at the start of that season.

That's fine if you want to continue to poo-poo on their design team and talent. I know the resolve of these folks and quite frankly it's comments like these that will make it so much sweeter when they do break in the not too distant future.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I don't even know where to start with a reply. I remember back in 2019, you trashing the design team at Boston literally at the start of that season.

That's fine if you want to continue to poo-poo on their design team and talent. I know the resolve of these folks and quite frankly it's comments like these that will make it so much sweeter when they do break in the not too distant future.

I think Boston has a great shot to not only medal, but win a championship. I was not a big fan of their 2019 show, but I love the corps attitude. Sure, I put them outside of the top 6 in my predictions.... but even I know my placements are going to be very incorrect. But for right now I feel like it's going to be am awesome battle for 6th between Phantom, Boston, and The Cadets. Keep cheering Boston on... they are going to be amazing! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Boston is coming. It's only a matter of time. It's not if, it's when. They will be the next corps to crack the top three, but it won't be easy. Some heavy hitters up top. Again not if....................when. 

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

You shouldn't have started at all, honestly. I never trashed the design team. Speaking truth and pointing out their design shortcomings (as I did in 2019) isn't trashing them. I also remember many of you saying I was wrong for saying they were likely going to finish 6th. Who was right? I was.

Edited by queenanne_1536

9 hours ago, craiga said:

I'm  not sure why you bring up 2019 Boston as if they did not go out in 2021.  For the record,  the Boston Crusaders DID field a full, 185 member corps last summer (2021). And suppose I told you that the caption heads told me that it WAS, in fact Boston's most talented ensemble?  The intent of this thread was to speculate on the possible placements that could happen in 2022, was it not? Oh, and by the way, the ONLY active drum corps in DCI whom Boston has never beaten is the Blue Devils, so your listing of corps whom Boston has "shown no evidence " of out performing or designing really only to pertains to one drum corps,  not 6.  

I bring up 2019 because that was the last competitive season. 2021 is completely irrelevant. 

I remember Scott Stewart at 1989 finals saying he felt the '89 Scouts were more talented than the '88 Scouts. That may have been true, but the '88 show design was on an entirely different level than the '89 design. The '88 design took a less talented corps (compared to BD, SCV, Garfield, Cavies and possibly Regiment) to 1st place, where as a much weaker design in '89 dropped the corps to 7th place. A corps Scott Stewart himself thought was more talented than his championship corps. Having the highest talent ever doesn't mean $hit if you don't have the design to back it up.

When is the last time Boston has beaten Bluecoats? 2003. When Bluecoats weren't top 5 caliber.

When is the last time Boston has beaten Vanguard? 2005 seminfinals. When Vanguard wasn't top 5 caliber and fielded their lowest placing corps in DCI History. Boston only ever beat Vanguard during Vanguard's weakest season from 1972-2019. 

When is the last time Boston has beaten Crown? Once in 2019.

Boston has never threatened a Vanguard or Bluecoats when those two corps have been at, or even near, their full powers.

So no, Boston has no track record of challenging Vanguard, Bluecoats or Crown when those three have been top 3 caliber, and they have only beaten Crown once when Crown was top 4 caliber. Nor, have they beaten Blue Devils ever (as you said). Nor, have they beaten the Cavaliers when the Cavaliers were top 4 caliber.

Of the top 6 corps form 2019, they are on the outside looking in, until they prove otherwise - in design and execution. The other top 6 corps from 2019 have storied histories with very successful track records. Boston does not. 

Again, I'm not saying they won't move up this year. I'm saying is is silly and ridiculous to make assumptions based on the things you and others do - without even hearing or seeing Boston's show or their main competition. You would have thought you all would have learned your lesson in 2019, but nope!

Edited by queenanne_1536

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I think if people took a close look at the total Blue Devils organization they would develop a new appreciation for all they do. They are the largest drum corps organization in the U.S. and perhaps the world today. I cannot think of another organization that runs an A, B, and C drum corps, a concert band for youth in the area (Diabolo Wind Symphony), winter drums lines (including the RCC group), guard activities (including their amazing special needs guard), their Yamaha School of Music for local students and private lessons, and more.  If you took out the A corps (155 marching members) I would venture to guess they deal with 400+ kids year around that are mostly from the NorCal region, and some from SoCal as in the case of the RCC members. 

They have a large organization and work with a LOT of kids from ages 11 or 12 all the way up to 21. The provide many many opportunities for youth just in their region of the Bay area. I think that is something we can all jump on and appreciate. Of course, their ability to recruit nationally and internationally for the A corps is one of the reasons they are always considered a top contender for DCI Gold. It is easy for fans of other corps to attack or be critical. When you win a lot there will always be the attitude out there of "anyone but BD." We saw this with the Boston Celtics, the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Yankees back in the day. 

Part of the fun in DCI is that the top contenders are all amazing, but if they can topple the Blue Devils, well that says a lot. It's not easy to beat the Blue Devils but if you do then your corps must have really been good, and that's how I think fans should look at it. Sadly some resort to insults and try to point out any flaw they can when their corps loses to Blue Devils. Obviously personal preference will always be a factor in who you like and who you want to win. That is natural. But at some point you have to be objective enough to evaluate quality in marching, playing, drumming, guard, visual analysis, and overall GE to fully understand scoring vs your personal preference. 

For me, it's tough this year to do a real prediction for Finals because of what happened the last few years of the pandemic. But in general I would say the top 6 will be BD, Bloo, Crown, SCV, Boston, and Cavaliers in some order. I think all the rest will be equally exciting and look forward to an amazing summer with lots of great shows.  Maybe we get a 1988-like year and the Madison Scouts win!!!! 🙂

the BD organization is incredible, and is THE model for DCI. now as to the years mentioned well....i gotta admit i didn't like any of them, and thats saying a lot, as I loved BD pretty much every year 1975-2007 9 ok, ok i didnt like 05. did say pretty much every year.)

But 08-13, the shows left me flat. Sure they performed great, but they never connected with me. They focused way too much on the intellectual part of the triad of effect, and the judging system at the time was ok with it. when the judging system shifted in 14, boom, BD set the record, with a show many thought would be like the previous years. Since 14, I have highly enjoyed every BD show.

and the above shows their genius...they used what the system gave them, and made it work for them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Post like this is why you and others like Ms. Terri Schehr and Jeff Ream are among my favorite posters on DCP. I always enjoy reading your post and thoughts and i have learned so much about the activity from you guys. 

thanks man! find me in Allentown, my cooler will be open

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I think Boston has a great shot to not only medal, but win a championship. I was not a big fan of their 2019 show, but I love the corps attitude. Sure, I put them outside of the top 6 in my predictions.... but even I know my placements are going to be very incorrect. But for right now I feel like it's going to be am awesome battle for 6th between Phantom, Boston, and The Cadets. Keep cheering Boston on... they are going to be amazing! 

it takes time for a staff to truly gel, and as you keep adding pieces it can get better. Look at SCV....first Rennick, then Shaw, and finally Gaines getting involved and boom! I am not sure what the missing chunk in Bostons armor is, but the talent in the top 6/7 is incredible now, and that makes movig up harder. Look at Bloo.....13th in 99, didnt medal til 10, then again didn't medal til 14. Finally won in 16, and at the top since.

Crown missed in 02. didn't medal til 09. Stayed i the hunt since, but only has 13 for a win. it's that #### deep up there

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the BD organization is incredible, and is THE model for DCI. now as to the years mentioned well....i gotta admit i didn't like any of them, and thats saying a lot, as I loved BD pretty much every year 1975-2007 9 ok, ok i didnt like 05. did say pretty much every year.)

But 08-13, the shows left me flat. Sure they performed great, but they never connected with me. They focused way too much on the intellectual part of the triad of effect, and the judging system at the time was ok with it. when the judging system shifted in 14, boom, BD set the record, with a show many thought would be like the previous years. Since 14, I have highly enjoyed every BD show.

and the above shows their genius...they used what the system gave them, and made it work for them. 

2014 Blue Devils is the greatest drum corps program I’ve ever seen.  Design, performance, everything came together like the planets lining up.  I watched them on that ###### field in Metamora, Illinois in July 2014 and told Jim when I saw him later on “Ain’t nobody beating that”.  

• Like 4