2022 Season Predictions

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have a prediction:  Blue Devils are going to come out firing on cylinders we didn’t know they had.  That animal has been caged for two years.  I think it’s going to be them and then…..everyone else.  Don’t kill the messenger. 

I would have to agree. I'm not a huge fan of BD show design in the last 3 to 5 years. I can't put my finger on why exactly. That being said, I fully consider their winning shows to be the best shows on the field. 

BD made smart moves. They collected and cultivated talent in both MM's and staff over the last 2 years, paid people in key positions well to keep them on board and have most likely challenged them to come up with new concepts musically and in design captions. Although the video last year kinda weirded me out, I think it was smart to stay put, save money and concentrate on 2022. I enjoyed what the corps put out more than any year I can recently think of, but there are advantages to what SCV and BD did. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have a prediction:  Blue Devils are going to come out firing on cylinders we didn’t know they had.  That animal has been caged for two years.  I think it’s going to be them and then…..everyone else.  Don’t kill the messenger. 

Believe you will definitely like what’s coming. Tell Jim Hey O! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I bring up 2019 because that was the last competitive season. 2021 is completely irrelevant. 

I remember Scott Stewart at 1989 finals saying he felt the '89 Scouts were more talented than the '88 Scouts. That may have been true, but the '88 show design was on an entirely different level than the '89 design. The '88 design took a less talented corps (compared to BD, SCV, Garfield, Cavies and possibly Regiment) to 1st place, where as a much weaker design in '89 dropped the corps to 7th place. A corps Scott Stewart himself thought was more talented than his championship corps. Having the highest talent ever doesn't mean $hit if you don't have the design to back it up.

When is the last time Boston has beaten Bluecoats? 2003. When Bluecoats weren't top 5 caliber.

When is the last time Boston has beaten Vanguard? 2005 seminfinals. When Vanguard wasn't top 5 caliber and fielded their lowest placing corps in DCI History. Boston only ever beat Vanguard during Vanguard's weakest season from 1972-2019. 

When is the last time Boston has beaten Crown? Once in 2019.

Boston has never threatened a Vanguard or Bluecoats when those two corps have been at, or even near, their full powers.

So no, Boston has no track record of challenging Vanguard, Bluecoats or Crown when those three have been top 3 caliber, and they have only beaten Crown once when Crown was top 4 caliber. Nor, have they beaten Blue Devils ever (as you said). Nor, have they beaten the Cavaliers when the Cavaliers were top 4 caliber.

Of the top 6 corps form 2019, they are on the outside looking in, until they prove otherwise - in design and execution. The other top 6 corps from 2019 have storied histories with very successful track records. Boston does not. 

Again, I'm not saying they won't move up this year. I'm saying is is silly and ridiculous to make assumptions based on the things you and others do - without even hearing or seeing Boston's show or their main competition. You would have thought you all would have learned your lesson in 2019, but nope!

Wow.  I'm not sure why you are such a Boston hater. Perhaps there is a history there.  Since I don't know you, I really can't see speculate.  You are entitled to your own opinions of course, but one would have to be living in a yurt in the Alps to not be aware of BAC's growth in the last five years. And, since they committed a year ago to field a serious corps in 2021, last season was anything but irrelevant.   I am truly disappointed that you don't recognize their growth, both on and off the field. One final thought...you can say what you want about them but it is widely disingenuous to suggest that the Boston Crusaders don't have a "storied history".  SMH

• Like 4

11 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I bring up 2019 because that was the last competitive season. 2021 is completely irrelevant. 

Glad you’re back. I may not always agree with you, but your posts can spark debate! 

I disagree that 2021 is irrelevant and that we need to be looking at 2019. For the young people marching this year, 2019 is ancient history and for a good number of marching members, 2022 will be their first competitive year in DCI. Most of those who marched in 2019 have probably aged out. Corps who have never had challenges filling spots are finding it a challenge this year. I know I will enjoy 2022, but  I’m not expecting DCI to pick up where it left off in 2019. I’m expecting a great deal of rebuilding this year, including corps who place at the top with excellent staff. 

For some corps, 2021 was a gift. There was a group of Cadets volunteers and staff on my plane in 2019. The morale was low. As we later learned staff was not paid and there were a ton of other difficulties. 2020 gave Cadets a chance to refocus and 2021 was a success story. Phantom has a difficult 2019 too. If there had been a 2020, I’m not sure either Cadets or Phantom would have been finalists. I don’t expect either to be in the top six, but they’ll certainly be 7-9. Crown was not in Indy but my understanding is that what they offered was fruitful and they have the expectation of holding on to many and I know the same can be said for BAC. I talked with lots of folks with BAC at their home shows and they claimed lots will be returning. At the airport after Indy I heard similar things, but unlike the home shows, I heard it from staff and direct volunteers, not alums and fans. Much can change over the winter months, but 2021 was significant.

I’m also a realist. Many BD and SCV vets marched with other corps in 2021. They’ll probably return to BD and SCV. I’m also expecting to hear that some corps who did not participate in 2021 May have a difficult time returning to the field. 2021 may not have been a competitive year, but we may discover it was pivotal in other ways. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

there are advantages to what SCV and BD did. 

True...  there are perhaps some disadvantages to being away so long too.  We really dont know, as this really is unprecedented for top corps to be away  this long without marchers performing field shows .

But if I had to guess right now, knowing the caliber of both organizations, I would expect that both organizations have weathered the absence well, and will be very formidable Corps this season once again. We'll know soon enough.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

True...  there are perhaps some disadvantages to being away so long too.  We really dont know, as this really is unprecedented for top corps to be away  this long without marchers performing field shows .

But if I had to guess right now, knowing the caliber of both organizations, I would expect that both organizations have weathered the absence well, and will be very formidable Corps this season once again. We'll know soon enough.

I think that's part of the excitement of 2022 is seeing what the gap allows corps to prepare for us. I would HOPE that every corps has taken this time to adjust, hopefully think of more ways to stay financially responsible and make the most of the talent that they have. I am VERY much looking forward to SE Regionals this year. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Glad you’re back. I may not always agree with you, but your posts can spark debate! 

I disagree that 2021 is irrelevant and that we need to be looking at 2019. For the young people marching this year, 2019 is ancient history and for a good number of marching members, 2022 will be their first competitive year in DCI. Most of those who marched in 2019 have probably aged out. Corps who have never had challenges filling spots are finding it a challenge this year. I know I will enjoy 2022, but  I’m not expecting DCI to pick up where it left off in 2019. I’m expecting a great deal of rebuilding this year, including corps who place at the top with excellent staff. 

For some corps, 2021 was a gift. There was a group of Cadets volunteers and staff on my plane in 2019. The morale was low. As we later learned staff was not paid and there were a ton of other difficulties. 2020 gave Cadets a chance to refocus and 2021 was a success story. Phantom has a difficult 2019 too. If there had been a 2020, I’m not sure either Cadets or Phantom would have been finalists. I don’t expect either to be in the top six, but they’ll certainly be 7-9. Crown was not in Indy but my understanding is that what they offered was fruitful and they have the expectation of holding on to many and I know the same can be said for BAC. I talked with lots of folks with BAC at their home shows and they claimed lots will be returning. At the airport after Indy I heard similar things, but unlike the home shows, I heard it from staff and direct volunteers, not alums and fans. Much can change over the winter months, but 2021 was significant.

I’m also a realist. Many BD and SCV vets marched with other corps in 2021. They’ll probably return to BD and SCV. I’m also expecting to hear that some corps who did not participate in 2021 May have a difficult time returning to the field. 2021 may not have been a competitive year, but we may discover it was pivotal in other ways. 

33 minutes ago, Tim K said:

For some corps, 2021 was a gift. There was a group of Cadets volunteers and staff on my plane in 2019. The morale was low. As we later learned staff was not paid and there were a ton of other difficulties. 2020 gave Cadets a chance to refocus and 2021 was a success story. Phantom has a difficult 2019 too. 

I would especially agree with this particular segment of your assessment.

Both Cadets and Phantom Regiment were coming off challenging seasons both on and off the field in 2019. Both however were able to produce field shows last summer, and shows that were well received by audiences. Morale certainly must have gotten a much needed boost with these perennial Finalist Corps with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

2014 Blue Devils is the greatest drum corps program I’ve ever seen.  Design, performance, everything came together like the planets lining up.  I watched them on that ###### field in Metamora, Illinois in July 2014 and told Jim when I saw him later on “Ain’t nobody beating that”.  

The first time I saw them staging their 2014 production, I thought they were setting up for a yard sale or church bazaar.  I was looking for some cookies & cupcakes.  :spitting:  

• Haha 2