2022 Season Predictions

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Well, as Phantom 2009 shows, the judges DO get it right by the end of the season. It's not that the judges will purposefully not give a deserving show 1st just because they haven't gotten close, it's just that with design being such a large focus in the scoring of today, it takes more than just a good performance from the performers to take the gold. It requires a stellar design and developing a stellar design is the thing that takes practice and time to learn to create. So the time factor is less that the judges are maliciously making corps "wait their turn," it's more that the current sheets force corps to create a strong and consistent design team with years of continuity that has had multiple (or atleast one) runs creating a stellar design before everything clicks

2007 IMHO Phantom should have won.  Best design/music by a magnitude that year.  I just don't think the judges were ready for that show and the sheer demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Well, as Phantom 2009 shows, the judges DO get it right by the end of the season. It's not that the judges will purposefully not give a deserving show 1st just because they haven't gotten close, it's just that with design being such a large focus in the scoring of today, it takes more than just a good performance from the performers to take the gold. It requires a stellar design and developing a stellar design is the thing that takes practice and time to learn to create. So the time factor is less that the judges are maliciously making corps "wait their turn," it's more that the current sheets force corps to create a strong and consistent design team with years of continuity that has had multiple (or atleast one) runs creating a stellar design before everything clicks

The sheets don't say any of that BTW.  A LOT of pre-season slotting goes into initial scores from what I have seen.  A LOT or weight is given for past performance in the previous year.  It was sort of there when I marched but it's getting to be rather apparent.  A LOT of score/credit given for things that are just dirt.  Simpler and clean vs difficult and dirty should be no contest who scores higher that night.  FYI I have seen corps beat other corps without a complete show on the field....that was some real nonsense.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

2007 IMHO Phantom should have won.  Best design/music by a magnitude that year.  I just don't think the judges were ready for that show and the sheer demand.

2007 Regiment is my favorite Regiment show of all time (yes I like it better than '89, '96 and '08) and it was hands down my favorite show of '07. I agree with you that it was just magnificent, but I also agree with it finishing 4th. BD, Cadets and Cavies, were all IMO, better and their shows were excellent designs as well, even though I didn't like their shows nearly as much as Regiment or Vanguard. Vanguard's show was amazing too and is so underrated. I loved the entire top 5 that year. They were all so good. '07 is one of my favorite years.

46 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The sheets don't say any of that BTW.  A LOT of pre-season slotting goes into initial scores from what I have seen.  A LOT or weight is given for past performance in the previous year.  It was sort of there when I marched but it's getting to be rather apparent.  A LOT of score/credit given for things that are just dirt.  Simpler and clean vs difficult and dirty should be no contest who scores higher that night.  FYI I have seen corps beat other corps without a complete show on the field....that was some real nonsense.

I agree. It's ridiculous. As as happy as I was in 2018 when Vanguard beat Blue Devils at Stanford - I mean I jumped up and down like I was mad with glee, I was shocked they won given they didn't have a finished show. Back in the 80s and 90s the cleaner shows won early and the more demanding shows took time to clean and overtake the easier shows. Not that way today. It's ALL about design. We will never see a corps that finishes 7th or lower beat the eventual champion again. It's not the way the sheets are designed.

I do, however, believe that if a corps like Boston has the best design and gives the best performance on finals night they will win, even though they have never placed in the top 4. It has more to do with the progression of taking for ever for things to gel and to get things right and nothing to do with this silly idea that the judges just won't let it happen. If Boston won it would be GREAT for the activity, actually.

From 2007 to 2019, BD has finished in the top 2 every single year. That's a huge problem for anyone else. To win, you have to beat the Blue Devils. That's another huge problem for anyone else. It's like climbing Everest, honestly. Not only do you have to beat BD, you have to beat corps like Bluecoats, Vanguard and Crown at the same time. It's very difficult to win today.

Everything has to be just right from a design perspective so that you are in a position to win by executing well. If the design isn't there, you simply have no chance to win.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2