2022 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

For years, I was a voice in the chorus who said BD shows were easy, and they had no drill, and they shouldn't be winning. 

If those watching perceive a show as being easy, yet it's executed to perfection, then the staff has succeeded IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Those are good groupings.  I think you are wise to give Madison a bump.  They’re on their way back, IMHO. 

I put Madison somewhere in bottom of top 12 this season...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

After seeing bits and pieces of most shows, I am going to slightly revise my prediction for World Class only, not including the Open Class corps that will inevitably surge into Semifinals come August. I like the grouping method, so I will follow suit. In any particular order within each group:

1-3: Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown

4-6: Santa Clara Vanguard, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers

7-9: The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Mandarins

10-12: Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Crossmen

----------

13-15: Colts, Troopers, Madison Scouts

16-18: The Academy, Music City, Pacific Crest

19-20: Genesis, Jersey Surf

Not fielding: Spirit of Atlanta, Seattle Cascades

----------

Comments: BD will not drop out of the top three, likely top two. I have a really hard time seeing SCV drop to 4th or lower, but I do think it will be a dogfight at the top - and throughout the entire World Class lineup. I think The Cadets, Phantom, and Mandarins surge this season. I think the battle for 12th will be hotly contested, with some really talented corps in the 11-15 positions. I think the Troopers, Colts, and Madison surge as well, with Music City not far behind. I have seen much from Genesis or Surf, so I can't speak to their predictions much - I am just going off of 2019 Semifinals results with a two-year hiatus included, meaning progress may or may not be inhibited.

No matter the outcome, I think we are in for some really great drum corps this season.

yup.

Ok, so I finally found a video of Phantom Regiment doing their preview show at Dekalb. Oh my! What a great show. I am not wild about the props. I will need to see those live to really get a feel. But everything else is pretty fantastic. The video is not of high quality and the sound was terrible, but when the brass line cleans and polishes the rough edges off the sound I think they will sound fabulous. Not sure how high this brass line can place, but I would not be shocked if they were top 5. As for the drill it is super demanding and quite effective. They definitely have more traditional drill than anyone else I have seen to this point. Not sure if that is good or bad but I loved it. They are not as polished in movement or music as BD or SCV at this point, and even a bit more rough around the edges in brass than say Mandarins who are sporting an incredible brass line. So Phantom has some work to do in bringing out the musicality and cleanliness of the brass and percussion. I would say their drill is more effective than Mandarins and maybe more effective than SCV, but not as clean. This will be an interesting corps to watch this summer. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Ok, so I finally found a video of Phantom Regiment doing their preview show at Dekalb. Oh my! What a great show. I am not wild about the props. I will need to see those live to really get a feel. But everything else is pretty fantastic. The video is not of high quality and the sound was terrible, but when the brass line cleans and polishes the rough edges off the sound I think they will sound fabulous. Not sure how high this brass line can place, but I would not be shocked if they were top 5. As for the drill it is super demanding and quite effective. They definitely have more traditional drill than anyone else I have seen to this point. Not sure if that is good or bad but I loved it. They are not as polished in movement or music as BD or SCV at this point, and even a bit more rough around the edges in brass than say Mandarins who are sporting an incredible brass line. So Phantom has some work to do in bringing out the musicality and cleanliness of the brass and percussion. I would say their drill is more effective than Mandarins and maybe more effective than SCV, but not as clean. This will be an interesting corps to watch this summer. 

I could have sent it to you   Just ask!  😂 

• Like 1

The Regiment hype is real. Saw their show. Easily their best since 2015, if not 2013. Where it places remains to be seen, but I am so happy to see a show this well designed musically and visually out of them. It's been a long time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

I put Madison somewhere in bottom of top 12 this season...

I too am tossing them into the Top 12. They have a GREAT product this year.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, jjeffeory said:

1. Bluecoats

2. BAC

3. Cavaliers

4. Blue Devils

5. Vanguard

6. Crown

7. Cadets

8.Blue Stars 

9. Blue Knights

10. Phantom Regiment

11. Mandarins

12. Crossmen or Pacific Crest

After seeing the Mandarins live three nights in a row, if they indeed finish 11th.................this will be the greatest top ten we have ever seen in DCI. Mandarins are going to put the fear of God into those corps in the 7-9 range. 

• Like 3