Jump to content

2022 Season Predictions


B-Flat
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Idk I havent been a fan of design for a couple years. I understand world class is supposed to be pushing the envelope grandma doesn't get it but it also becomes segmented. If you can't tell what the theme is what's the point?

Do you scoff at a painting or sculpture in a museum because you don't understand it? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Do you scoff at a painting or sculpture in a museum because you don't understand it? 

Sometimes, yes. You're making a good point to think about, but inaccessibility isn't a requirement for good art.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Do you scoff at a painting or sculpture in a museum because you don't understand it? 

I was at the ‘tute years ago and there was an exhibit of blurry photos.  It was a woman on horseback taking photos.  I have to say that confused the hell out of me. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Sometimes, yes. You're making a good point to think about, but inaccessibility isn't a requirement for good art.

Accessibility isn't a requirement for good art either 😊

 

This conversation reminds me of highschool* when I was taking AP Literature and we were reading Heart of Darkness and Jane Eyre. In our class, we had to take detailed annotations of what we were reading looking into any and all symbolism we could find in what we were reading and the way it would elevate the thematic objectives of the author. Our exams would essentially consist of longform essays responding to a prompt imploring us to flesh out all the symbolism we identified in the book and how they correlate to specific themes in the book. 

A lot of my classmates seemed to be pretty good at it. For me, it was no easier than becoming a rocket scientist. I didn't understand it. How did lightning striking a chestnut tree symbolize the fracturing of the relationship between two characters? Are you seriously telling me that's what the author intended? To me, that class overcomplicated art to the point that it was not enjoyable to consume. I wanted to enjoy the story for what it was at the surface level. 

I see DCI in the same way. Why does there have to be an understandable and easily comprehended theme? Isn't good music and visuals good enough to entertain? If it is easily understandable whatever "story" is occurring, then great, but is it really the end of the world if you can't understand? 

This philosophy extends into my general life too. I find people who overcomplicate the small stuff generally are more unhappy. I always try to appreciate things for how they are. I don't try to find deeper meaning in the things I consume, the words that are said to me in conversation, etc. What's the point of that? I just try to appreciate what I see as is. 

But that's just me

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The only thing I tell them that's terrible is the cost 💁 but if you want to get people interested in something you have to show them something and Tilt has been the show for kids. 

 

If you want to continue a pissing match my DMs are wide open. 

Shows I would show students off the top of my head Bloo 2014, Crown 2012, Crown 2016, BD 2017, SCV 2018,   They all have a lot for students to like with them having their visions fully realized, lots of heart, excellent music, and aren’t really as gimmicky as some other I could name.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

 

I see DCI in the same way. Why does there have to be an understandable and easily comprehended theme? Isn't good music and visuals good enough to entertain? If it is easily understandable whatever "story" is occurring, then great, but is it really the end of the world if you can't understand? 

But that's just me

It’s not just you. I don’t need to keep peeling back an onion until there is nothing left.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I see DCI in the same way. Why does there have to be an understandable and easily comprehended theme? Isn't good music and visuals good enough to entertain? If it is easily understandable whatever "story" is occurring, then great, but is it really the end of the world if you can't understand? 

I agree and like how you said this. There is much in DCI that I don't understand as well as others understand, especially all the music selections and nuances. That doesn't prevent me from just enjoying entertaining shows. Maybe my comment about inaccessibility was more accurately saying I'm usually just annoyed by the hype and - what to me seems like needless - posturing around a lot of the themes. Just play and march (or run and dance) and thrill me.

Edited by mjoakes
stupid writing
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I agree and like how you said this. There is much in DCI that I don't understand as well as others understand, especially all the music selections and nuances. That doesn't prevent me from just enjoying entertaining shows. Maybe my comment about inaccessibility was more accurately saying I'm usually just annoyed by the hype and - what to me seems like needless - posturing around a lot of the themes. Just play and march (or run and dance) and thrill me.

I agree with you and Cappybara. I find things to enjoy in shows despite the fact that I don't ever understand the theme, well almost never, but I don't bother trying to understand it either. I just want good music and good visuals.

The part I have a hard time with is the music. Madison for example - If I wasn't such a huge Chess fan, I wouldn't have noticed they are playing One Night in Bangkok. Why not just play One Night in Bangkok the way the B's in ABBA wrote it, because they certainly wrote it better than Madison's arrangers? Answer: because all music today has to be a big technical exercise to score well. It's the same reason why Bluecoats did a Beatles show without any Beatles music in it 😀

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 There have been lots of movies over the years where I thought the actor's performance was stellar, but the movie itself was subpar, confusing, unappealing its its plot/ theme or in the end, in some manner unsatisfactory. Did I enjoy the performance by the actor nevertheless, all by itself, in such ? Yes..  Would the experience for me had been better had the movie itself however had a plot, theme, messaging, ending, etc that was stellar as the actor's performance in it ? Oh, without a doubt. 

So yes, I can enjoy a performance by the performer in a movie that is a miss for me.  But that does not mean that I  dont wish the performer performed in a movie that wasnt such a dud of compehension of the movie's intent for many of the public, including myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

 There have been lots of movies over the years where I thought the actor's performance was stellar, but the movie itself was subpar, confusing, unappealing its its plot/ theme or in the end, in some manner unsatisfactory. Did I enjoy the performance by the actor nevertheless, all by itself, in such ? Yes..  Would the experience for me had been better had the movie itself however had a plot, theme, messaging, ending, etc that was stellar as the actor's performance in it ? Oh, without a doubt. 

So yes, I can enjoy a performance by the performer in a movie that is a miss for me.  But that does not mean that I  dont wish the performer performed in a movie that wasnt such a dud of compehension of the movie's intent for many of the public, including myself.

But that’s the thing. Movies inherently tell a story. That is their sole purpose. If the story is a dud in a movie, that will naturally make the movie not as enjoyable. 
 

DCI shows have never, across the board,  had a concrete story. Yes every year there will be shows that do have one, but it isn’t inherent to a show for there to be a story of greater meaning to be told. This seems like a very incongruent comparison 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...