Who remembers...? 1972 St. Andrew's Bridgemen

As long as I live, I will remember my absolute amazement at the talent and skill level of the soprano section of "72 Bridgemen!  They did some pretty good triple tonguing in their OTL, "March Triumphant".  But they just went over the top with "Mr. Clown", after their Color Pre.  All 16 sops played, in unison, a solo fanfare to "Mr. Clown", just FULL of triple tonguing. And they did it well!

About 20 years ago, I played a recording of the above for a group of younger generation brass members of the Brigadiers.  They thought it was two or three sopranos playing.  When I told them it was the entire soprano section, they thought that couldn't possibly be right.  When I assured them that I was not exaggerating, the eyes got big and the chins hit the floor.

Ah...but for the good old days.🙂

A true tribute to Gus Wilkie, our horn instructor, and all the sopranos who worked so hard all winter to perfect this technique! As remarkable, like most of the corps in that era, the vast majority never played an instrument before joining the corps!

3 hours ago, JCDUKES said:

A true tribute to Gus Wilkie, our horn instructor, and all the sopranos who worked so hard all winter to perfect this technique! As remarkable, like most of the corps in that era, the vast majority never played an instrument before joining the corps!

Don't forget "Bix". The driving force behind that line.

Never had the pleasure to meet Gus Wilke, or see him work, but his students did him honor.