Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

Leaving aside for the moment the "facts" of this incident whatever they may be, it's distressing to see how eager many are to blame or criticize "DCI", as if it were some independent monolithic entity with enforcement powers. This is simply not the case.

There is no "DCI", in that sense. All its policies emanate from the 12 individual member corps. Whatever they agree to is what holds. The staff of DCI, such as it is, works for them and serves at their pleasure. 

There is no "enforcement" or "judiciary" function here. If any individual or organization is to be censured, disqualified or punished in any way that will have to come from a collective decision by the board, the 12 members.

If there is any blame to be assigned here it must be directed towards the actual perpetrators and those to whom the accusations were first reported. It was the latter's duty to report to authorities.

We are all sensitized to these situations (more so lately) and they must be taken seriously, but misdirected anger is counter-productive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So DCI has put SoA on ‘probation’.  
From a practical standpoint what does this mean?  No (or reduced) appearance payments?  Going on first at every contest?   Mandatory disclosure to potential host schools that they are on probation for not properly addressing sexual assault of a member?  What happens if within the probation period another incident happens?  Similarly, what happens if SoA fails to accomplish what DCI has told them to during the probation?   

I’m not trying to be a smart-*ss.  I really just want to know the answer. 

IMO...don't get caught or else...um....well...maybe Pioneer you?

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Perhaps. But a guy who has the pulse on the heartbeat on everything DCI you should have made mention all the “guilty parties”. No? Just asking.

i dont have the pulse on every single thing DCI does. do i have a lot of info? Yup. First i heard of this was today like everyone else.

not sure what lit a fire under your ### to hound me, but target others, i got better things to do than defend myself against your attacks...which, like this fail.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Part of the issue is the way some drum corps use the words educator and teacher. I read bios of instructional staff and I have no question about the talent of the instructors or the vast drum corps experience many have, but are they actually teachers or educators? Did they have any education courses in college? Do they work in school settings when drum corps is on hiatus? Qualified teachers should know about reporting, know the importance and responsibilities of supervision, and would take complaints seriously. It may be too much to expect that every instructor in drum corps has the minimum of a bachelors in music with the credits to be a certified teacher, but some of the issues the young woman from Spirit mentions would most likely be handled differently by actual teachers with credentials. Not doing so could mean not just their drum corps job, but their year round teaching positions as well. I know a few years back a young person almost drowned at a day camp. The person who was supposed to be supervising the pool lost her job when it was determined she was negligent. She also lost her teaching job at a public school when it was deemed she violated her contract. Properly trained teachers would understand this, and would realize that if they were negligent in summer jobs, depending on what their contracts state, could lose their off season teaching positions. 

I might also add that directors of drum corps need to better understand the importance of supervision. I’m sure when corps look to hire a director knowing how to manage a budget and fundraise are key areas to consider, but can the person manage and supervise staff and volunteers? 

I thought DCi had some mandated training for all staff after April 2018 exploded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

With all due respect I don’t agree with this. Issue is far broader …… maybe involving ALL DCI organizations, BD included. The topic needs to be presented to EVERY member corps and let the individual institution deal with it. This kangaroo court is getting a bit tiresome.

except your approach really hasn't been working the last 4 years now has it?

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

I think Jeff has better odds. 😉 

i kinda doubt that. it's a tie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ContraBugle said:

We failed her as her corps members. The brass leadership team and veterans just kept threatening those who wanted to support her

I'll just say this:

i applaud your honesty here. thats a bold statement many adults many years your senior probably couldn't bring themselves to say. there's no point badgering members like yourself for what you should coulda done...I think unlike the adults in the situation, you realize where things went wrong and have regrets about it...and not just cause SOA or DCI put out a press release.

40 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Leaving aside for the moment the "facts" of this incident whatever they may be, it's distressing to see how eager many are to blame or criticize "DCI", as if it were some independent monolithic entity with enforcement powers. This is simply not the case.

There is no "DCI", in that sense. All its policies emanate from the 12 individual member corps. Whatever they agree to is what holds. The staff of DCI, such as it is, works for them and serves at their pleasure. 

There is no "enforcement" or "judiciary" function here. If any individual or organization is to be censured, disqualified or punished in any way that will have to come from a collective decision by the board, the 12 members.

If there is any blame to be assigned here it must be directed towards the actual perpetrators and those to whom the accusations were first reported. It was the latter's duty to report to authorities.

We are all sensitized to these situations (more so lately) and they must be taken seriously, but misdirected anger is counter-productive.

and therein lies the problem. the inmates run the asylum. and 4 years after the Hopghazi explosion, it's quite clear many of the inmates haven't learned a #### thing. So really, is leaving it to them to police themselves really the best way to go?

at this stage, DCA, a circuit with 1/100th the budget seems to be doing a far better job despite running their championships in 3rd rate HS stadiums than the almighty DCI.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'll just say this:

i applaud your honesty here. thats a bold statement many adults many years your senior probably couldn't bring themselves to say. there's no point badgering members like yourself for what you should coulda done...I think unlike the adults in the situation, you realize where things went wrong and have regrets about it...and not just cause SOA or DCI put out a press release.

I personally want to do all I can to help her and make things right. She and every other victim from 2021 and years past deserve representation. The whole probationary thing is honestly a load of #### and everyone is aware of it. If anyone on DCP is interested in helping her, her petition has already gotten a good amount of traction. I have attached it below

https://chng.it/hDfGzdRG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1