Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

5 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

No, I was referring to the ringleader of the talent night. The trumpet player was the the perpetrator of the assault. There’s two separate incidences in the complaint and I think people here are losing sight of that. 

It is getting to the point where we need a spreadsheet to track all this BS.

And that alone is enough reason to shut down SoA.  IIRC there is an open class Corps in WI (my bad I don't recall name) that cancelled 2022 over lesser accusations

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And that alone is enough reason to shut down SoA.  IIRC there is an open class Corps in WI (my bad I don't recall name) that cancelled 2022 over lesser accusations

Shadow 

• Thanks 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

https://twitter.com/kenzeegh/status/1480578010050961411?s=20

Check this out

60 years of the S O S..We all have stories but perhaps as an accidental by-product of social media, the stories sound new..Any corps allowing hazing and sexual assault as a means to bring folks together as comrades in the on going pursuit of excellence should be shut down...The repercussions for not doing this can last a lifetime...peace

• Like 1

Yes,  even in my day things went on that shouldn't have.  In some cases, really bad things.  Safesport https://uscenterforsafesport.org/?utm_term=safe sport&utm_campaign=SRCH-BD&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5032680901&hsa_cam=14300958462&hsa_grp=126837155518&hsa_ad=565799991296&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-318236685036&hsa_kw=safe sport&hsa_mt=p&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiAz--OBhBIEiwAG1rIOgnBsTG-NcYM_BEa4Yghmt8TRAFvWaaNNgRLKfs41W_O2qpUWHXKqRoCidYQAvD_BwE  

was instituted in many sports.   We have to comply with that as well as a background checks in my sport.  We are also mandatory reporters.  Too bad DCI corps couldn't jump on that band wagon instead of trying to police themselves. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe that would be good.  I would think Varsity would have the intestinal fortitude to actually penalize or disqualify a Corps that allows members to be repeatedly assaulted.  

You may want to look up how well that has gone for cheerleading...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Completely agree...they need to be beyond reproach, independent, open to everyone (Staff, members, volunteers)...with sweeping powers to call out violations and take action immediately and file a report to the proper person(s) and make it public. 

Yep. Essentially an HR manager. And we've all been saying it pretty much for years. It's a business no matter what is said and it should be run like one. Imagine all of the corps that would still be around if it ran as businesses do in regards to solid financial planning and operational management. Imagine all of the terrible things that could potentially be stopped if corps were held accountable at the top level and had mandatory compliance of policies and reporting. 

Ok, here’s how my confusion arose:

The ringleader of Rookie Talent Night for the guard bus has moved on to the Blue Devils and still has yet to be penalized.” I assumed the person who moved onto BD was a guard member because it took place on the guard bus. You know what they say about assuming…

Edited by Brian Tuma

19 minutes ago, inbetween said:

You may want to look up how well that has gone for cheerleading...

Two peas in the pod. Organizations that pay reactionary lip service to change every time they come under fire. Only to see the hits keep on coming. If either one of them was proactive and taking real action for change out of real safety concerns rather than PR, they'd be out of the investigative cross hairs. Maybe they deserve each other.

Edited by mingusmonk