Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and doesn't Varsity own Stanbury?

Affirmative. 

12 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

I wouldn't expect music educators to be experts in student conduct.  It's a complex and challenging field of work that people devote entire careers to mastering.  Music educators shouldn't have to possess that level of expertise.  Let the music educators do music education and let the people who are expert in handling sexual assaults, harassment and misconduct take care of those cases.  

Wow. Just wow. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

I wouldn't expect music educators to be experts in student conduct.  It's a complex and challenging field of work that people devote entire careers to mastering.  Music educators shouldn't have to possess that level of expertise.  Let the music educators do music education and let the people who are expert in handling sexual assaults, harassment and misconduct take care of those cases.  

oh if you only understood education and whats required

• Thanks 1

Kathy is just confused.  The goal should be to train teachers/educators of any kind about issues of abuse, which is what we're talking about here.  

Mandatory reporting with proper training is something that's absolutely VITAL to adults who work with kids for a living.  If a good system is in place, teachers are one of the first steps in facilitating experts who will take over after the reporting phase.  Make it a crime to not report abuse in DCI, which is how it is in a lot of school districts across the country.  Or just expect more of these stories to get swept under a planet-sized rug. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

Kathy is just confused.  The goal should be to train teachers/educators of any kind about issues of abuse, which is what we're talking about here.  

Mandatory reporting with proper training is something that's absolutely VITAL to adults who work with kids for a living.  If a good system is in place, teachers are one of the first steps in facilitating experts who will take over after the reporting phase.  Make it a crime to not report abuse in DCI, which is how it is in a lot of school districts across the country.  Or just expect more of these stories to get swept under a planet-sized rug. 

What is so hard about teaching teachers to do the right thing?  This isn't rocket science - it is basic human decency,

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lance said:

Not going to speak for Kathy but in my case it’s not confusion but lack of knowledge. So I asked and only got a bunch of heat and list of items of what teachers should not do with students. What was missing was looking for and reporting abuse which your post mentioned. Of course this is a big part of dealing with abuse.

Folks some of us are NOT educators so we need to ask in order to find out. At least we are taking the effort to find out. Is it too much to ask not to be insulted when we ask to be EDUCATED?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh if you only understood education and whats required

Well here’s a chance for someone to explain…. 🦗 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not going to speak for Kathy but in my case it’s not confusion but lack of knowledge. So I asked and only got a bunch of heat and list of items of what teachers should not do with students. What was missing was looking for and reporting abuse which your post mentioned. Of course this is a big part of dealing with abuse.

Folks some of us are NOT educators so we need to ask in order to find out. At least we are taking the effort to find out. Is it too much to ask not to be insulted when we ask to be EDUCATED?

Well Jim, having known you most of your adult life, you're just confused in general 🤣

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well here’s a chance for someone to explain…. 🦗 

i'm not an educator, so i don't know all the ins and outs, plus every state has their own state specific rules, but teachers today are educated on this topic as well as so many others when it comes to issue that could affect kids in their care.

Just to judge, in which i rarely interact with students, i have to do all of the PA state background checks and some trainings.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For sure.  Also, it's not infallible to have a mandatory reporting system like I'm talking about in place .  Even if your org has a bunch of experts lined up on speed dial ready to deal with myriad types of abuse that go up a specific, established chain of command, it doesn't mean that predators won't still sometimes find a way. 

But it's better than whatever DCI and/or member corps have going on right now.   

Somebody/something has to actually be in charge of enacting real change, and all I see right now is passing the buck and only when bad people get caught after the fact.  Who/what is actually in charge of DCI in these matters?  

• Like 2