Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim has to take a sexual harassment prevention course every year and he works from home.   

me too and i mostly work from home. Because something even in an email could be misconstrued and boom...lawsuit city

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Here's a bit from that Policy....and it shows that it doesn't even approach what happens with the kind of reporting/action I'm talking about. 

...if the DCI Compliance Officer determines, in their sole and absolute discretion, that a report warrants further investigation, the Compliance Officer will conduct an investigation or appoint a disinterested party - depending on the nature of the possible allegation and those involved - to conduct an investigation. If it is determined that a violation occurred, a written finding will be presented to the appropriate individual, in consultation with the CEO, for appropriate corrective or disciplinary action. The decision of a supervisor, manager, volunteer coordinator, or board chair is final and not appealable.

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  This is feckless, toothless, and perfunctory.  It's not a mandatory reporting policy in league with anything I'm talking about, just some vaporous whistleblower policy.  A random, unnamed "Compliance Officer" within the org shouldn't be in charge of deciding what deserves to get acted upon.  I'm talking about a system where it's all automatic.  Educator reports suspected abuse without any type of retaliation possible, and then officials in whatever field of abuse we're talking about come in with the force of law to take next steps and/or refer up the chain of command/jurisdiction.  

It precludes choice/judgment calls on the part of the reporter to report, and then experts take over. 

well stated

1 hour ago, mjyaub said:

They're toast,

unless lawyers get involved, DCI will skate again.

and if lawyers get involved DCI is toast. they barely survived the Tresona mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI compliance officer…

Operative word DCI… not outside…

It could work if:

1. DCI had the teeth to make decisions that impacted a corps season (and beyond) to include termination of staff and member contracts

2. The member corps were willing to give up the power to solely self police (which is why HR in corporations is completely separate from operations and hold sole discretion in cases where policies are violated)

3. A disciplinary panel is created by which decisions can be made and all sides are given the ability to speak to reported breaches in conduct 

4. An officer independent of the member corps (it certainly would take several people in this position) is assigned to oversee mandatory compliance and is available to staff, MM's and volunteers (as well as being available to answer questions from parents) 

5. That officer has the ability to temporarily suspend a member, volunteer, staff member or entire corps if needs be for the purpose of membership protection pending a VERY timely investigation

Seems HUGE. And yet, many of these things are part of our daily lives at work and we don't blink twice at them. There ARE ways to make it work. The member corps and DCI simply need to be aware of the cost involved in NOT taking these steps.

And again....I ain't holdin' my breath.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm not an educator, so i don't know all the ins and outs, plus every state has their own state specific rules, but teachers today are educated on this topic as well as so many others when it comes to issue that could affect kids in their care.

Just to judge, in which i rarely interact with students, i have to do all of the PA state background checks and some trainings.

I'm a finance professor, and the chances that I encounter behavioral issues with students is pretty low. But each year I am required to complete training on recognizing and responding to various kinds of behaviors, including sexual harassment and assault. More recently, I must complete separate training on mental health alertness. No expert at all, but I know a little bit about these behaviors – and certainly know how to report to proper administrators.

If university professors are doing this, shouldn't staff working with a lot of teenagers do the training as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It could work if:

1. DCI had the teeth to make decisions that impacted a corps season (and beyond) to include termination of staff and member contracts

2. The member corps were willing to give up the power to solely self police (which is why HR in corporations is completely separate from operations and hold sole discretion in cases where policies are violated)

3. A disciplinary panel is created by which decisions can be made and all sides are given the ability to speak to reported breaches in conduct 

4. An officer independent of the member corps is assigned to oversee mandatory compliance and is available to staff, MM's and volunteers (as well as being available to answer questions from parents) 

5. That officer has the ability to temporarily suspend a member, volunteer, staff member or entire corps if needs be for the purpose of membership protection pending a VERY timely investigation

Seems HUGE. And yet, many of these things are part of our daily lives at work and we don't blink twice at them. There ARE ways to make it work. The member corps and DCI simply need to be aware of the cost involved in NOT taking these steps.

And again....I ain't holdin' my breath.

The NFL owners hired a commissioner (Goodell) to make & enforce decision that they didn't want to make themselves for the good of the business.   The DCI Corps could give DCI, DA, or whomever the authority if they wanted to.  

If they wanted to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I'm a finance professor, and the chances that I encounter behavioral issues with students is pretty low. But each year I am required to complete training on recognizing and responding to various kinds of behaviors, including sexual harassment and assault. More recently, I must complete separate training on mental health alertness. No expert at all, but I know a little bit about these behaviors – and certainly know how to report to proper administrators.

If university professors are doing this, shouldn't staff working with a lot of teenagers do the training as well?

Same in corporate America. Having put in SEVERAL years with a national telecommunications company, I’m very familiar with EEOC compliance, one of those guidelines is hear all sides first before taking any corrective action. Isn’t that the same in DCI? That being said…. Put the same pressure on the accusers as the accused. Words have consequences.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2

Spirit has been un-invited to host their camp at Atlanta Academy this weekend.  

I’m not sure how Spirit will be able to host any camps this year at school facilities. There are multiple folks who will notify the school of these incidents and probation status with DCI.  I believe it took one email to Atlanta Academy for this weekends camp to be cancelled.  

If you were planning to march Spirit this summer, I would find another corps ASAP.     

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I'm a biology professor (in a different state) and have to go through same.  But there have been cases where I was able to ID that something was going on with a student, and were able to get them aimed at the correct support staff.

• Like 1