Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not going to speak for Kathy but in my case it’s not confusion but lack of knowledge. So I asked and only got a bunch of heat and list of items of what teachers should not do with students. What was missing was looking for and reporting abuse which your post mentioned. Of course this is a big part of dealing with abuse.

Folks some of us are NOT educators so we need to ask in order to find out. At least we are taking the effort to find out. Is it too much to ask not to be insulted when we ask to be EDUCATED?

Did it not occur to you that your wording could possibly come across as insulting?

I was serious when I asked if you really wanted 20+ pages of training documents typed/cut/pasted. It exists, and we have to be responsible for knowing all its content and following all its policies. I emphasized some words in all caps because I was too lazy at the time to use either the bold tool or the italic tool. 

You apparently were offended by a couple capitalized words. (I see you responded in like fashion above). 
I was offended by being lumped in with a group of people labeled as having no training, no knowledge on how to handle behavior, or having no skill.

If you want to look into a standard set of policies and procedures:
https://www.cobbk12.org/page/6380/section-j-students
https://www.cobbk12.org/page/6193/section-g-personnel

There's more if you want, and yes we are trained in such.  

[EDIT] I am not an employee of Cobb County Schools. Former employee/currently a semi-retired not-paid-by-the-school-system adjunct.

Edited by BrassTeacher
Clarification

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You reap what you sow. 

Yep. I once told an agent I was having to term (they had some issues showing up to class on time...or at all most days) that "When I am working harder to save your job than you are working to keep your job, we have an issue with only one resolution." 

The cost of inaction is sometimes far worse than the temporary pain that action can cause. 

Granted...my feedback style was once described by my manager as "direct, specific and punishing" but I digress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrassTeacher said:

Also, I can vouch for at least one drumcorps (Music City) that has similar, but not as extensively worded policies in place, as well as in-person training for all staff

That's excellent to hear. As we are all aware, we seldom hear about those who do it right. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Spirit has been un-invited to host their camp at Atlanta Academy this weekend.  

I’m not sure how Spirit will be able to host any camps this year at school facilities. There are multiple folks who will notify the school of these incidents and probation status with DCI.  I believe it took one email to Atlanta Academy for this weekends camp to be cancelled.  

If you were planning to march Spirit this summer, I would find another corps ASAP.     

Verified?

34 minutes ago, BrassTeacher said:

Did it not occur to you that your wording could possibly come across as insulting?

You apparently were offended by a couple capitalized words. (I see you responded in like fashion above). 
I was offended by being lumped in with a group of people labeled as having no training, no knowledge on how to handle behavior, or having no skill.

Yes I see how my words could be taken as insulting. 
What offended me was assuming the worst from someone and slamming for a perceived insult Instead of informing them how they were mistaken. Too many memories of asking valid questions to contractors and getting insulted to my face because I was “too stupid to see how great the product was”.

And capitalizing NOT and EDUCATED was meant for emphasis and not as an insult.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, anomaly said:

Verified?

Not that I have seen but I'm not as in touch as I used to be. The OP might be able to provide a better view into that window.

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yes I see how my words could be taken as insulting. 
What offended me was your slamming someone for a perceived insult Instead of informing them how they were mistaken. Too many memories of asking valid questions to contractors and getting insulted to my face because I was “too stupid to see how great the product was”.

We're human. Perception can drive reaction as opposed to response. It happens. I told someone recently that it's kind of like the old phrase "pushing my buttons." Imagine that all of your past negative interactions create a button. Stupid, ugly, weak etc etc etc. We wear those buttons on our chest. And when someone presses one of those buttons, it's closer to our mouth than it is to our brain and we speak before we step back and think. 

I battle it every day. That's why I have a "save as draft" folder to type all of my unsavory responses into before I light someones world on fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1