Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

48 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Not disagreeing but I have zero faith DCIs membership would ever give one person that much control. Remember just 11 years ago a faction tried to push out Dan and restructure everything to the benefit of just 7 of them. 2 of them in 2019 weren’t even in the top 8

Let me put on my biology professor hat:  

I teach students that all living creatures faces adversity, and deal with this adversity in one of 3 ways-

(1) Adapt

(2) Migrate, or

(3) Die.

Drum Corps can look at an effective response to sexual assault / abuse (SAA) the same way:

(1) Adapt - create & execute effective procedures to prevent SAA, and decisively remove the offender(s) if it does happen

(2) Migrate - Shut down DCI & start up a new organization that has the structure and authority to address the problem.

(3) Die - Loss of DCI and /or individual Corps.  Die is always an option.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Let me put on my biology professor hat:  

I teach students that all living creatures faces adversity, and deal with this adversity in one of 3 ways-

(1) Adapt

(2) Migrate, or

(3) Die.

Drum Corps can look at an effective response to sexual assault / abuse (SAA) the same way:

(1) Adapt - create & execute effective procedures to prevent SAA, and decisively remove the offender(s) if it does happen

(2) Migrate - Shut down DCI & start up a new organization that has the structure and authority to address the problem.

(3) Die - Loss of DCI and /or individual Corps.  Die is always an option.

I’d love #1. But when it looks like DCA with 1/100000th the resources is doing a better job well……

46 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'm trying to avoid the sentiment that is boiling up out there that we, as a people, a nation, have become fundamentally indecent, but it's increasingly difficult when we see the headlines around us, the ways we're starting to act toward others, and the total lack of consequences when previously unthinkable norms have been breached. 

We as a people are demanding a level of accountability that did not previously exist. The information gap has closed. The world has gotten smaller and less perpetrators are able to hide under our noses. I'm an optimist on this. Society is not getting worse. These things have always been happening and we're actually getting better as a society at handling it. Hopefully that continues. Let's continue to shine the light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

I'm trying to avoid the sentiment that is boiling up out there that we, as a people, a nation, have become fundamentally indecent, but it's increasingly difficult when we see the headlines around us, the ways we're starting to act toward others, and the total lack of consequences when previously unthinkable norms have been breached. 

I think the indecent acts, etc have always been with us. With increased sources for information and ways for individuals to get their words broadcast we are now more aware of it. 

Think of what it was like when we were kids. TV news was national at night for 30 minutes with 3 networks and local just before national and after prime time. To catch updates on breaking stories it was leave the radio on and wait for hourly or so update. Only so much was broadcast and nothing “nasty” (s-e-x) was mentioned.

Bad side is with more info sources (including social media) it gives the sickies a way to give their twisted message. And other sickies hear it and think they are in the right because they found someone who agrees with them. So that feeds what you posted about.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Migrating to DCA would be an option, but DCA would need to tread carefully as they don’t want DCI’s problems to migrate.  

I believe the bylaws wouldn’t allow it

Well that's been 100% confirmed. I bet they move virtual?

On 1/10/2022 at 7:15 AM, rpbobcat said:

Unless / until corps are willing to give up power (fat chance) and form a true independent  Governing Body with investigative and enforcement power, as opposed to an event scheduler, nothing is going to change.

As I said,why should they ?

"Why should they ?"

Mainly because SOA, DCI, and other corps have failed repeatedly to keep our kids safe.  I am not advocating to burning it to the ground, but feel SOA, DCI and other corps have not gone far enough to protect our kids.

Words and policies are just not enough! There needs to be real consequences.

Edited by Liahona
added "and other corps"
  • Like 2