Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

"Why should they ?"

Mainly because SOA, DCI, and other corps have failed repeatedly to keep our kids safe.  I am not advocating to burning it to the ground, but feel SOA, DCI and other corps have not gone far enough to protect our kids.

Words and policies are just not enough! There needs to be real consequences.

agreed. 2018 should have been the wake up call to end all wake up calls.  But...well....no. It continued and led to Pioneer being forced out and OC basically shutting down. all of the other issues since. it's inexcusable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:15 AM, rpbobcat said:

You hit the nail on the head.

DCI is, as you said, an organization whose "policies emanate from the 12 individual member corps".

The corps don't seem to have any interest in changing the status quo.

Why should they ?

When it comes to Drum Corps, they're the "only game in town", and they know it.

DCI can't even put together a cooperative purchasing deal for non-perishables.

A perfect example of DCI's  ineffectiveness was last season's Covid Protocols.

The disclaimers in the document showed that all DCI was doing was making "policies".

Each corps was to deal/enforce them as they saw fit.

Unless / until corps are willing to give up power (fat chance) and form a true independent  Governing Body with investigative and enforcement power, as opposed to an event scheduler, nothing is going to change.

As I said,why should they ?

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

"Why should they ?"

Mainly because SOA, DCI, and other corps have failed repeatedly to keep our kids safe.  I am not advocating to burning it to the ground, but feel SOA, DCI and other corps have not gone far enough to protect our kids.

The point of my post was that, as "the only game in town" , DCI doesn't have any desire/incentive to be anything other then the  event scheduler they currently are.

As Mr. Ream said,2018 should have been a "wake up" call.

But, obviously ,it wasn't.

What happened at Pioneer, OC and now SoA, shows the status quo carried on.

In my opinion. until DCI faces significant financial or legal consequences, there is no reason for the corps to give up power, and create a true Governing Body for the  activity.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

"Why should they ?"

Yes.  If member safety & staff training were a 20-point caption in the scoring system, suddenly corps would be focused on those things everyday.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.  If member safety & staff training were a 20-point caption in the scoring system, suddenly corps would be focused on those things everyday.

Not a separate caption; just add it to the timing & penalties column with a 'compliance' adjudicator? 😁  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

In my opinion. until DCI faces significant financial or legal consequences, there is no reason for the corps to give up power, and create a true Governing Body for the  activity.

There are protests about just about everything these days. I wonder what impact would be made if fans who are passionate about change organized attention-getting protests at the regionals and finals.

• Thanks 1

They have "postponed" camp until next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

There are protests about just about everything these days. I wonder what impact would be made if fans who are passionate about change organized attention-getting protests at the regionals and finals.

Just stop supporting the individual organization(s) who are offenders and/or DCI itself. You can send a clear message by not donating, purchasing tickets, and streaming events. Hit them where it hurts the most! 

• Like 3