Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

he was very critical of DCI. its well documented in the many Muchachos threads in the historical section

I think  it is pretty safe to say that DCI wanted to be rid of Muchachos. I know someone who marched with Bridgemen who claimed a huge reason Bridgemen got the court order to at least perform in the 1977 finals and come back just as strong the following years was due to the demise of Muchachos who never got over the disqualification. Bridgemen would not allow DCI to treat them in the same way. This is just his opinion. It is true that fans missed Muchachos. I don’t think Madison, 27th, Kilties, SCV, Bridgemen, and certainly not Garfield, or those up and coming upstarts Blue Devils or Phantom shed too many tears about the decline and fall of the powerhouse junior corps from Hawthorne.

Keith makes a valid point about DCI upholding a rule when it wants to, which was the case with Muchachos, and later Bridgemen and Crossmen, but it can be argued it picks and chooses enforcement too, as has been pointed out when SCV in 1989 comes up in the discussion. This points to the larger issue, how does DCI keep corps accountable and who keeps DCI accountable?

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 4

For the 1st time in the 20 year history of my Anonymous Charitable Trust, I am removing an organization. I used to give Spirit a decent amount every year, but i can't in good conscience give any more money to them until they clean house. I am also questioning my yearly committment to FDCI as well, things must change...not superficially...actual change

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

For the 1st time in the 20 year history of my Anonymous Charitable Trust, I am removing an organization. I used to give Spirit a decent amount every year, but i can't in good conscience give any more money to them until they clean house. I am also questioning my yearly committment to FDCI as well, things must change...not superficially...actual change

You might as well pull funding from all of dci because this is happening everywhere, spirit just happened to get caught. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

That too.  I suppose that would make DCI DQ all of us as well. 

well they take my money, so only to a point

• Like 1

Like most corps, Spirit of Altanta has a board of directors.  The board is the overseer, and has the right/obligation to terminate anyone who does not handle their responsibilities, especially including anything involving the well-being and safety of the members.  The main problem that I see is that other than one member removed after a month of abusive behavior, nobody else was held accountable, and also events reported about the rookie talent show were ignored.  DCI has placed the corps on a 2 year probation with expected steps during that time.   What concerns me is that it is likely that individuals (staff) who did not properly respond to things possibly remain in their positions.  Had this happened in a school environment, there would have been disciplinary action (and likely removal) involving multiple members, and any adult (including the director) who did not respond fully to what was going on would be subject to termination.  Termination of any and all staff/management who did not respond properly and promptly should be a quick responsibility of the board here.  Doing so will send a clear message to staff and management that they have a serious responsibility to respond promptly, properly, and professionally, to anything reported to them by anyone in the organization.....members, staff, support staff, etc......you can put a million pages of documents together on "policies", but if there are not consequences for individuals/all involved when incidents such as these occur, the documents are meaningless.  I do not see where DCI demanded investigation/actions involving all involved....just policies "moving forward".  If I were a parent of a young SOA prospect, I would want assurance that the individuals who failed to act and or/"downplayed" things are no longer there.  I also think that DCI needs to have a "do not hire" list....when someone is removed from staff/management for reasons such as these, they should no longer have the opportunity to show up at another corps......ditto with member misconduct.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bob984 said:

Like most corps, Spirit of Altanta has a board of directors.  The board is the overseer, and has the right/obligation to terminate anyone who does not handle their responsibilities, especially including anything involving the well-being and safety of the members.  The main problem that I see is that other than one member removed after a month of abusive behavior, nobody else was held accountable, and also events reported about the rookie talent show were ignored.  DCI has placed the corps on a 2 year probation with expected steps during that time.   What concerns me is that it is likely that individuals (staff) who did not properly respond to things possibly remain in their positions.  Had this happened in a school environment, there would have been disciplinary action (and likely removal) involving multiple members, and any adult (including the director) who did not respond fully to what was going on would be subject to termination.  Termination of any and all staff/management who did not respond properly and promptly should be a quick responsibility of the board here.  Doing so will send a clear message to staff and management that they have a serious responsibility to respond promptly, properly, and professionally, to anything reported to them by anyone in the organization.....members, staff, support staff, etc......you can put a million pages of documents together on "policies", but if there are not consequences for individuals/all involved when incidents such as these occur, the documents are meaningless.  I do not see where DCI demanded investigation/actions involving all involved....just policies "moving forward".  If I were a parent of a young SOA prospect, I would want assurance that the individuals who failed to act and or/"downplayed" things are no longer there.  I also think that DCI needs to have a "do not hire" list....when someone is removed from staff/management for reasons such as these, they should no longer have the opportunity to show up at another corps......ditto with member misconduct.......

Spirit's board could at the least remove all members who were involved, and all staff involved as well.  Also, anyone "stepping down or resigning

" is not enough.......DCI needs to have a 'data base", and these individuals should not show up at any other corps.  Ever.  The fact that one individual is already supposedly at BD is unacceptable.  Also, the worst thing that could happen would be for apathy.......that individual can easily be "called out", and there should be an outcry for BD to remove that member...ditto for all of the others.......if there are no consequences, things will happen over and over again......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

For COVID & the predicted chance of snow? 🧐

IMHO they (SoA, & perhaps DCI) are scrambling. Covid & weather are a convenient excuse.  They will wait to see if the outrage dies down or goes away & if it does, carry on next month like nothing happened.

If the outrage remains (as it should), they now have a few days to do the right thing (anyone on staff involved fired, new BoD, don't let ringleader members return) & perhaps salvage a season. 

Recall during the Hopacolypse that it took better part of 1-2 weeks for everything to sort out.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

if you recall, DCI basically made Cadets board resign and insist on a new board just shy of 4 years ago.

and Spirit got probation

• Like 3