Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IMHO they (SoA, & perhaps DCI) are scrambling. Covid & weather are a convenient excuse.  They will wait to see if the outrage dies down or goes away & if it does, carry on next month like nothing happened.

If the outrage remains (as it should), they now have a few days to do the right thing (anyone on staff involved fired, new BoD, don't let ringleader members return) & perhaps salvage a season. 

Recall during the Hopacolypse that it took better part of 1-2 weeks for everything to sort out.  

Georgia isn't exactly a bastion of Covid protocols and shut downs either

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you recall, DCI basically made Cadets board resign and insist on a new board just shy of 4 years ago.

and Spirit got probation

They’re wildly inconsistent in how they mete out punishment.  Probably because it was never fully defined in their code of conduct guidelines. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

he was very critical of DCI. its well documented in the many Muchachos threads in the historical section

Yes. He thumbed  his nose at things like trying to be at as many DCI shows on tour as possible, etc. He was also warned that season that DCI would be cracking down on overage marchers.

Plus yeah, he was running a youth organization and had spent time in prison for a dead kid turning up in his apartment with him having no recollection of how it happened. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

SOA blocked her on Twitter.  Showing absolutely no contrition for this behavior. 

Just looked at SoA Twitter feed where they linked their statement. Rightfully getting shredded “you no longer have a reputation to save”.

Statement on FB being blasted too. But stopped reading after see a familiar name. Didn’t want my dogs hearing to be hurt by trumpet playing so high only she could hear…. 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just looked at SoA Twitter feed where they linked their statement. Rightfully getting shredded “you no longer have a reputation to save”.

Statement on FB being blasted too. But stopped reading after see a familiar name. Didn’t want my dogs hearing to be hurt by trumpet playing so high only she could hear…. 😫

Some of the comments on their Facebook page are horrifying.  Imagine defending this behavior. 

• Like 3

I didn’t march SOA, but a did march a World Class corps, which has now folded, in 09&10. (You can guess which one). And all I have to say is what came out about SOA is TAME compared to what I witnessed as a teen. Honestly I was waiting for the allegations about staff with minors… I wish I had the courage to speak out back when I marched and maybe situations like this could have been prevented. DCI and WGI we’re both highly toxic environments where grooming and gaslighting became an everyday reality. It’s time we start to address these issues and fix these marching organizations. As a music educator, it terrifies me to think of any of my students experiencing anything close or similar to what I experienced. As a parent, I would never let my child march for fear of any similar situations happening to them. We need to fix this. 

I believe the year was 2006 when DCI decided they did not like the Corps Manager of the Troopers so DCI banned the Troopers Corps from competition performances for the following season. DCI made them reapply for return to DCI Competition, but only until DCI  found the Troopers replaced their Corps Manager. His transgression ?  He allegedly mishandled how the Corps finances were utilized by the Corps there.  He was canned, and the Troopers got their finances in order sufficient to reapply for return to DCI's good graces and allow them back on the competition field after being booted to the sidelines for a season  by DCI for the financial impropriety.

So its rather perplexing to learn that apparently financial missteps  will get you removed from DCI, and your Corps sent to the sidelines for a full season, but acknowledgments that sexual assaults, sexual harassment, verbal abuse, victim retributions, took place in a Corps on its youthful marchers is apparently deemed not as severe of bad behaviors by DCI as financial missteps by Corps Mangers, when we look at the SOA penalty meted out by DCI, and with no apparent demand of personnel to be removed from the SOA as one of the conditions of their probation.  DCI needs to rethink their initial probation terms here to SOA.  My guess, they will. And sooner, the better. But... time will tell.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Some of the comments on their Facebook page are horrifying.  Imagine defending this behavior. 

Not defending spirit but I've messaged multiple people who were in or closely related to spirit last summer. According to them there is another side to this story, especially with regard to the rookie talent night fiasco. 

12 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Not defending spirit but I've messaged multiple people who were in or closely related to spirit last summer. According to them there is another side to this story, especially with regard to the rookie talent night fiasco. 

Well, if true ,THAT " other side of the story" needs to come without further delay, as not only is SOA on the brink, so isnt the entire DCI for taking a major PR hit with the now alleged " one side of the story " that the public is currently hearing and reading about here and elsewhere.

Edited by Boss Anova