Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

There is a post now on Reddit by an apparent member who marched Raiders 2019 [open class I know but relevant] who had potentially serious medical issues ignored.   

And a different post concerning sexual abuse in Battalion 2018-21. 

Seems like the SoA discussion has emboldened members of other Corps to come forward.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re wildly inconsistent in how they mete out punishment.  Probably because it was never fully defined in their code of conduct guidelines. 

their only consistency is their inconsistency.

and as a result, the image of Drum corps and especially DCI and it's corps is being shot to hell

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Yes. He thumbed  his nose at things like trying to be at as many DCI shows on tour as possible, etc. He was also warned that season that DCI would be cracking down on overage marchers.

Plus yeah, he was running a youth organization and had spent time in prison for a dead kid turning up in his apartment with him having no recollection of how it happened. 

ahhhh the 70's

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just looked at SoA Twitter feed where they linked their statement. Rightfully getting shredded “you no longer have a reputation to save”.

Statement on FB being blasted too. But stopped reading after see a familiar name. Didn’t want my dogs hearing to be hurt by trumpet playing so high only she could hear…. 😫

that they let Howdy post on their page is all one needs to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I believe the year was 2006 when DCI decided they did not like the Corps Manager of the Troopers so DCI banned the Troopers Corps from competition performances for the following season. DCI made them reapply for return to DCI Competition, but only until DCI  found the Troopers replaced their Corps Manager. His transgression ?  He allegedly mishandled how the Corps finances were utilized by the Corps there.  He was canned, and the Troopers got their finances in order sufficient to reapply for return to DCI's good graces and allow them back on the competition field after being booted to the sidelines for a season  by DCI for the financial impropriety.

So its rather perplexing to learn that apparently financial missteps  will get you removed from DCI, and your Corps sent to the sidelines for a full season, but acknowledgments that sexual assaults, sexual harassment, verbal abuse, victim retributions, took place in a Corps on its youthful marchers is apparently deemed not as severe of bad behaviors by DCI as financial missteps by Corps Mangers, when we look at the SOA penalty meted out by DCI, and with no apparent demand of personnel to be removed from the SOA as one of the conditions of their probation.  DCI needs to rethink their initial probation terms here to SOA.  My guess, they will. And sooner, the better. But... time will tell.

it's not perplexing at all...cause it's all about the money

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Not defending spirit but I've messaged multiple people who were in or closely related to spirit last summer. According to them there is another side to this story, especially with regard to the rookie talent night fiasco. 

These are also the same members who ridiculed me for speaking up.... Spirit has admitted to what has happened and others have come forward to defend me as well. Staff members are quitting because of what Spirit has failed to take care of. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, anomaly said:

These are also the same members who ridiculed me for speaking up.... Spirit has admitted to what has happened and others have come forward to defend me as well. Staff members are quitting because of what Spirit has failed to take care of. 

So many of the 2021 SOA Members right now are purposefully making lies to try and save the reputation of the corps, even though the corps has owned up to everything. For the member in that reddit that came forward, I appreciate you. For contrabugle that came forward, I appreciate you. The acts on that bus that I stated, truly happened and was legitimate. This corps has such a horrible history in regards to how they've failed their members. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, anomaly said:

So many of the 2021 SOA Members right now are purposefully making lies to try and save the reputation of the corps, even though the corps has owned up to everything. For the member in that reddit that came forward, I appreciate you. For contrabugle that came forward, I appreciate you. The acts on that bus that I stated, truly happened and was legitimate. This corps has such a horrible history in regards to how they've failed their members. 

Also if that's not good enough of a vouch... One of the 2021 SOA Drum Majors vouched for me and was present on that bus

Edited by anomaly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1