Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Welp … that’s pretty damning. 

Don’t even want to look at the statement from SoA but think it said something about work with the victim. 🙄

• Like 1

I think SOA and DCI have some big issues in front of them. The first being a major lawsuit. It’s pretty clear the parents have lawyered up and are doing their due diligence. This is something that could impact the activity is ways we can’t comprehend. Long story short, SOA is done, and DCI is in for the fight if it’s life. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

SoA should be shutdown for the 2022 season instead of toothless probation. 

Not sure DCI understands quite yet that their initial press release of probation, but without demands for removal of personnel, including removal from competition during the probation period is not working well at the moment.

Its hard to see how SOA would be able to field a competition Corps this season when parents and marchers are reading/ hearing what occurred. ... and the seemingly tepid... at best.... response to sexual assault and other disgusting behaviors there.  DCI  should be the entity to shut SOA down for the probation period. It should not come from prospective marcher, parent, donor attrition that sends SOA to the sidelines for this season. 

I thought DCI told us in press releases the last 2 years that they take reports of sexual assaults, sexual harassment, adult- marcher relationships that lead to intimidations, and reprisals upon marchers  and on grossly improper behaviors seriously . About how vitally important marcher health and safety was to DCI . Really ? The DCI response seems slow and weak at the moment to me. Very disappointing, as I thought they would have had a far more stronger and appropriate response to these serious violations than what we have read so far from DCI.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Tony Teleky is a hero in my book. 🥇

like father like son. class acts both

• Like 3

14 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

So what y'all are saying is we need a good 'ole Southern revival for the DCI model from this guy run by the "Trumpet of the Lord Ministries"?  I had forgotten about this guy.  😳🙄🤪

http://www.trumpetofthelord.faithweb.com

a guy chased away from Pioneer of all places for being a perv? yeah no thanks

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

SoA should be shutdown for the 2022 season instead of toothless probation. 

the Mothership in Indy shouldn't get off scot free. Love to have been on those zooms

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a guy chased away from Pioneer of all places for being a perv? yeah no thanks

When the bar is set that low…didn’t they have a convicted domestic abuser bus driver, too? The dregs of society seems to gravitate toward the traveling circus bands. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When the bar is set that low…didn’t they have a convicted domestic abuser bus driver, too? The dregs of society seems to gravitate toward the traveling circus bands. 

Scariest part I remember when our church started procedures to guard against child abuse. “The abusers are looking for groups that DON’T try to protect against them. Just have procedures (and following through) means they usually will look for an easier target.”

• Like 1

I think we have to look at the justifications that are always brought out for drum corps' existence. Every corps and DCI constantly recites the same platitudes and mission statements; "All the good drum corps does," as Sutasaurus calls it. Drum corps teaches life lessons. Drum corps provides an incredible experience. Drum corps is youth arts education. Drum corps builds character. Drum corps teaches teamwork and work ethic. Drum corps builds incredible young human beings. All of this vague stuff gets constantly, almost reflexively brought up to justify the continued existence of drum corps.

Maybe if the very nature of the activity (mix of ages, extreme power differentials, constant travel etc etc etc) is literally a recipe for abuse, maybe drum corps doesn't deserve to exist anymore. Maybe the culture and what is considered acceptable have gone so far beyond the bounds of sanity that it can't be fixed. I know, it was fun to wear knee-high boots and spin a flag in 1978. I know, good drill looks pretty cool. I know, loud noises. But maybe it's time to let it die.

I did 3 years of marching corps, all of them sitting in the FRONT of the bus. 2 in a semifinalist, 1 in a legendary corps which was defending champ that year. I saw:

A 23 yr old tech (staff) having a relationship with a 19 yr old member.

A 23 yr old volunteer having sex with a 17 yr old member in a school auditorium.

Staff using extremely offensive and sexually linked language (C - U - N -) during the very first visual block of the first camp.

The guard staff using extremely sexually explicity music for daily "stretch and run" block because they thought it was funny.

My seat partner putting his hand down my pants when he thought I was sleeping.

Rumors of ongoing sexual acts between multiple members of the drum line and a 16 yr old member. 

Rumors of a sexual relationship between the brass caption head and horn sargeant (member). 

The corps getting permanently banned from the hotel which hosted their banquet because of several incidents, including one member having alcohol poisoning.

Also it turns out one year the director (George Hopkins) had raped the assistant director before the season started.

All but the last three were considered, by the members, fairly unremarkable. That's JUST the sexual stuff I could come up with off the top of my head - not the transportation, safety, food, etc issues.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I think we have to look at the justifications that are always brought out for drum corps' existence. Every corps and DCI constantly recites the same platitudes and mission statements; "All the good drum corps does," as Sutasaurus calls it. Drum corps teaches life lessons. Drum corps provides an incredible experience. Drum corps is youth arts education. Drum corps builds character. Drum corps teaches teamwork and work ethic. Drum corps builds incredible young human beings. All of this vague stuff gets constantly, almost reflexively brought up to justify the continued existence of drum corps.

Maybe if the very nature of the activity (mix of ages, extreme power differentials, constant travel etc etc etc) is literally a recipe for abuse, maybe drum corps doesn't deserve to exist anymore. Maybe the culture and what is considered acceptable have gone so far beyond the bounds of sanity that it can't be fixed. I know, it was fun to wear knee-high boots and spin a flag in 1978. I know, good drill looks pretty cool. I know, loud noises. But maybe it's time to let it die.

I did 3 years of marching corps, all of them sitting in the FRONT of the bus. 2 in a semifinalist, 1 in a legendary corps which was defending champ that year. I saw:

A 23 yr old tech (staff) having a relationship with a 19 yr old member.

A 23 yr old volunteer having sex with a 17 yr old member in a school auditorium.

Staff using extremely offensive and sexually linked language (C - U - N -) during the very first visual block of the first camp.

The guard staff using extremely sexually explicity music for daily "stretch and run" block because they thought it was funny.

My seat partner putting his hand down my pants when he thought I was sleeping.

Rumors of ongoing sexual acts between multiple members of the drum line and a 16 yr old member. 

Rumors of a sexual relationship between the brass caption head and horn sargeant (member). 

The corps getting permanently banned from the hotel which hosted their banquet because of several incidents, including one member having alcohol poisoning.

Also it turns out one year the director (George Hopkins) had raped the assistant director before the season started.

All but the last three were considered, by the members, fairly unremarkable. That's JUST the sexual stuff I could come up with off the top of my head - not the transportation, safety, food, etc issues.

The abnormal is made to seem normal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1