Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

41 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wonder what the number of complaints is for DCI to suspend a organization from participation at DCI events? What's the Over/Under? IMO, how DA handles these rotten tomatoes in this activity will be how his success as ED will be measured. Collecting a paycheck while protecting his and others livelihoods at any cost is scary, not to mention a complete failure!

Depends on the crime.  If the crime is an overage roto-tom player, one complaint is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If it was one complaint there’s the chance that might be a problem, but 100+ complaint’s is a sure indication that there is a pattern of sick behavior. 

On top of that IIRC one of Spirits recent statements says one of his jobs is to investigate and clean up the mess with abusers. As he was hired 2021 was that an admission by Spirit that they knew of problems then and trying to quietly do something? Or is Spirit saying that now to quiet things down? Interesting that the statement I saw by Spirit giving a run down of the abuse investigation…. didn’t list any dates. So can’t tell what was done then and what is current day catch up work.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, Bob984 said:

WOW......and he is now Spirit's executive director......how can they not be aware......that's a serious number of complaints/allegations........you have to wonder about both the nature of the complaints (100+....inappropriate behavior).....that's alot of brushing under the rug.........it would explain his sudden exit from a huge and highly successful college band program.....would there be no concern from the parents and administration of the high school that he returned to?  I certainly hope that if there were cases of abuse, that those individuals will still come forward...it's also a bit hard to believe that there's "nothing to it"......

So let me start with full disclosure:

I know David from many, many years ago. He's been involved in music (like most of us,) for pretty much his whole life. He probably wouldn't even remember me as that was from a time when choral music was my passion. Never had an issue with him nor ever heard of any issues. All of that being said let's address this post:

I mean, yes and no at the same time. Interesting comments but no specifics given and no evidence of any wrong doing. That doesn't mean that it didn't happen but I don't want to throw the cat under the bus either in regards to this specific thread. If I am missing something, then ok. As I said I don't know one way or another. You would think that if literally HUNDREDS of complaints came out, with social media being what it is, we would have heard about it. 

If it did happen...if there IS in fact some fire behind the smoke...then that's another strike against some decisions made at SoA. But right now, it's kinda vague. There is a BIG difference between a victim statement as we have w/ the SoA problem and some references to "several people said" with no other information. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Depends on the crime.  If the crime is an overage roto-tom player, one complaint is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

I kind of have a "love-hate" relationship with the DCP forum.  But this is an example in the 'love' column. :spitting:

Not your 'average' roto-tom player:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

On top of that IIRC one of Spirits recent statements says one of his jobs is to investigate and clean up the mess with abusers. As he was hired 2021 was that an admission by Spirit that they knew of problems then and trying to quietly do something? Or is Spirit saying that now to quiet things down? Interesting that the statement I saw by Spirit giving a run down of the abuse investigation…. didn’t list any dates. So can’t tell what was done then and what is current day catch up work.

"Mr. Starnes has been and will continue to conduct a thorough examination of the organization from top to bottom to make improvements in all areas of the organization."

So they are saying they have an executive director, and they have that job... to do stuff that will include all that. 😖

If I missed this information I apologize, but did the alleged abuser end up signing on with BD? As the gold standard in drum corps, I would find it extremely problematic and disappointing if BD accepted this person..and if there is a season I could not wish them success with said individual participating....Peace

8 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

If I missed this information I apologize, but did the alleged abuser end up signing on with BD? As the gold standard in drum corps, I would find it extremely problematic and disappointing if BD accepted this person..and if there is a season I could not wish them success with said individual participating....Peace

I saw a clarification post where it stated that the guy who was dismissed pre-tour from SOA was a baritone player.  The other posted stated he went to BD but not sure if it was for the 2021 tour or if they meant for the 2022 season. 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Saw a post that the person will not be a BD member but don’t think details were given. All I remember is who posted but I don’t give names without permission. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Zanjero said:

"Mr. Starnes has been and will continue to conduct a thorough examination of the organization from top to bottom to make improvements in all areas of the organization."

So they are saying they have an executive director, and they have that job... to do stuff that will include all that. 😖

Thanks for the quote. So “thorough examination… make improvements” is generic enough to make it sound that clear out abusers/enablers was always part of the duties.

New word for the day that should be used more…. Enablers..

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1