Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

just reiterating the point -- 
we live in a broken, imperfect world

bad things happen to good people

it will always be this way

the bad actions of one individual should not require an organization to be eliminated

address this problem, remove the problem

learn from the past experience and move forward trying to be better

grow and improve

it's an iterative process

if we only follow our knee jerk instinct to eliminate an organization that has made a mistake or hurt someone, all we're left with is nothing -- because if judged only by the pain of individual victims hurt by bad attitude doctors within an organization ultimately every organization will need to be eliminated because at some point every organization causes pain to someone.

yes - be shocked

yes - be angry at bad people who hurt others

yes - demand change

no - eliminate well-intentioned organizations that have ever caused pain to someone in the past 

preemptive strike - I am not saying that historically evil painful organizations should be allowed to continue to exist

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm a 'visual' learner.  Gonna need a flow chart...🤓

Here is an example of an abuser tracker on the website 'bishop-accountability.org'.  This site was started in the Boston area, where the Catholic Church clergy-abuse scandal started (the abuse didn't start there - that is where it hit the news big-time).  It has a searchable database showing name, accusation, parishes assignments, etc.  and now covers all US dioceses as well as some that are non-USA.  There is another part of the website that lists archive collections of accused priest file pdf from several dioceses; I believe these became public due to various legal actions.

https://www.bishop-accountability.org/accused/

Keep in mind that:

(1)  This database took a lot of work over years and decades; and 

(2) Some of the individuals in the database are now deceased, some have been convicted, some fired (laicised), and others only publicly accused (note - it has been church policy for some years now to publish the names of clergy that are credibly accused.  These accused clergy are usually given assignments where they will not come into contact with minors (or other potential victims)while their case is being adjudicated through the church legal and state legal system (DCI - are you paying attention here - the Catholic Church publishes the names of  accused clergy and separates from any possible victims while the case is being adjudicated).  

It is a sad commentary on society that this had to happen.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Jim I would be happy to make a flow chart for you. I already have to build one a week at least to prove a point that apparently can't be proven unless a flow chart (mind-map) is involved. This is usually to the same corporate crowd that has told me on many occasions that my feedback is not valid because I am not at least at a director level or above. I have a special place in my "save as draft" folder for my responses that I want to send but can't (without losing my job.)

I have plastic flowchart templates in the cellar going back to late 1970s college. That means one of the icons stands for punchcard deck (now that’s old). 😆 Also have a “bubble chart” template which was a rage for some reason in the 1980s. No idea how the bubble chart was a better idea. Took a class and everyone came out 🤷🏻

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tedrick said:

just reiterating the point -- 
we live in a broken, imperfect world

bad things happen to good people

it will always be this way

the bad actions of one individual should not require an organization to be eliminated

address this problem, remove the problem

learn from the past experience and move forward trying to be better

grow and improve

it's an iterative process

if we only follow our knee jerk instinct to eliminate an organization that has made a mistake or hurt someone, all we're left with is nothing -- because if judged only by the pain of individual victims hurt by bad attitude doctors within an organization ultimately every organization will need to be eliminated because at some point every organization causes pain to someone.

yes - be shocked

yes - be angry at bad people who hurt others

yes - demand change

no - eliminate well-intentioned organizations that have ever caused pain to someone in the past 

preemptive strike - I am not saying that historically evil painful organizations should be allowed to continue to exist

I absolutely get this and I too can see both sides. I am reasonably comfortable enough with everyone here to understand that some of the calls to tear it all down and rebuild come from a good place just as much as those who want to see if it can be salvaged. Some who are calling to burn it down have FAR more experience dealing with DCI than I do. I was an MM...that's it. My lens is not colored by years of experience seeing things happen that should have forced change and yet little to nothing was done. 

I feel like change should be demanded. I also feel like we have to see how quickly DCI and the member corps will respond. Days going by hearing nothing from the organizations which we expect to protect the members and staff is simply not going to work. No matter how well intentioned, no matter what is happening in the back rooms that we don't know about, a prompt response of some sort is the new expectation of the world around us. And honestly, it SHOULD be in these types of situations. 

DCI and the member corps need to work on transparency. That's just the plain truth. They have had issues with it for decades at least (if not from the beginning) and it simply needs to change. Far too many organizations in this world are more concerned with optics than they are at truthfulness. 

I don't want to see DCI shut down. I don't want to see ANY corps shut down unless it is the best thing for the current, past a future staff and members. I am not in a position to judge that broad of stroke. But I will hear and recognize that all sides and try to understand the perspective of those who came before and after me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Throw in my 2 cents. Don’t want to see DCI removed as an entity. BUT… every one of the people in DCI or a corps who even suspected something and kept quiet needs to be removed immediately and PERMANENTLY. If DCI is unwilling or unable to do this then it loses any right to exist as members safety comes first. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Throw in my 2 cents. Don’t want to see DCI removed as an entity. BUT… every one of the people in DCI or a corps who even suspected something and kept quiet needs to be removed immediately and PERMANENTLY. If DCI is unwilling or unable to do this then it loses any right to exist as members safety comes first. 

When someone is accused of a crime, they may be put in jail while awaiting trial.  If they post bail, one of the conditions of bail is that they have no contact with victim.  And, depending on the crime, those who enabled the offender, may be charged as well.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were 2 different incidents that OP posted - Rookie Talent Night (RTN) and a fellow members harassing/assaulting her.

It is my understanding that the 'SoA RTN ringmaster (a trumpet)' was contracted by BD.  I also read somewhere (in one of the the multiple threads on DCP & reddit) that they were recently released from BD.  I have no idea if any of that is factual, other than someone posted it.  

The SOA individual who was sexually harassing / assaulting members was a baritone.

Also - keep in mind that there are other standing allegations (see floodgates thread) concerning Battalion, Raiders, & a sexual assault several years back at BD.  Let's not forget these, regardless of the fact that some of these are Open Class Corps.  These are in addition to other incidents at Troopers, Crossmen, Phantom, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Cavaliers, Shadow, & maybe more since the 2018 Cadets GH-meltdown.  How many more times will this happen before The Activity/Corps/DCI take whatever painful steps are needed for member protection?  There are not isolated incidents.  This is a pattern of behavior observed multiple times over the last 4 seasons.

Don't forget the SCV issue with the corps director (former Cavaliers director) and a male guard member

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

This stuff is from last August,  for crying out loud.  No one thought to query him about it?  Good find, Jeff.  Maybe you should be doing background work for DCI.  They seem to be completely inept at the job. 

I confess someone else found it and shared it on the DCAF page 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Wonder what the number of complaints is for DCI to suspend a organization from participation at DCI events? What's the Over/Under? IMO, how DA handles these rotten tomatoes in this activity will be how his success as ED will be measured. Collecting a paycheck while protecting his and others livelihoods at any cost is scary, not to mention a complete failure!

I guess it depends on how many Blenskis are involved 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

If I missed this information I apologize, but did the alleged abuser end up signing on with BD? As the gold standard in drum corps, I would find it extremely problematic and disappointing if BD accepted this person..and if there is a season I could not wish them success with said individual participating....Peace

Per a few social media sites, but not from the corps itself, the person was released from their contract 

• Thanks 2