Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It's the minority. But the minority seems to be exceptionally vocal in this case and generally so over the top, their posts get a lot of attention. Very unfortunate.

I went over to the Spirit of Atlanta Facebook page.  The amount of apologists in that comment section would not only cause me never to allow a kid to be in Spirit, I would not pay for one of mine to be in drum corps period. Some of those people just don’t get it.  Or they are willing to tolerate just about anything to “have their drum corps “. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I went over to the Spirit of Atlanta Facebook page.  The amount of apologists in that comment section would not only cause me never to allow a kid to be in Spirit, I would not pay for one of mine to be in drum corps period. Some of those people just don’t get it.  Or they are willing to tolerate just about anything to “have their drum corps “. 

I agree. My point is that the loud minority is doing the vast majority of negative posting. If you take a look at other things some of those cats post on other pages, it's the same old song and dance with everything. They have their opinions and those opinions, no matter how misguided or triggering, seem to be something that they pride themselves on being well known in social media circles. How many times do we see this very same thing in political circles (and no I am going to make this political....but the pattern is pretty unmistakable.)

We all know that there will ALWAYS be apologists for bad behavior. There will always be people who misplace blame. It makes me angry to see people say "You killed my drum corps!" No...lack of transparency, neglect of members and an inability or unwillingness to respond appropriately from the beginning killed a season for the corps. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I agree. My point is that the loud minority is doing the vast majority of negative posting. If you take a look at other things some of those cats post on other pages, it's the same old song and dance with everything. They have their opinions and those opinions, no matter how misguided or triggering, seem to be something that they pride themselves on being well known in social media circles. How many times do we see this very same thing in political circles (and no I am going to make this political....but the pattern is pretty unmistakable.)

We all know that there will ALWAYS be apologists for bad behavior. There will always be people who misplace blame. It makes me angry to see people say "You killed my drum corps!" No...lack of transparency, neglect of members and an inability or unwillingness to respond appropriately from the beginning killed a season for the corps. 

Yep my shining example over there is the person putting the blame on who posted (the abuse). Like a car wreck you know it’s bad to look but so screwed up. Glad to see lot of people posting that corps did right thing. They are just not getting the heated replies so not as noticeable 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I'm a band director.  I will not be recommending DCI to my students or taking a group to a show in the near future.  

• Thanks 1

Years back there was a corps I liked that went inactive. Hoped they would get back until I found out they had a racism problem. After that pfft could have cared less. Seeing the victim blaming and denial from some Spirit “supporters” and alumni just keeps reminding me. If Spirit doesn’t openly clean house on this I will care less if they make it back.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep my shining example over there is the person putting the blame on who posted (the abuse). Like a car wreck you know it’s bad to look but so screwed up. Glad to see lot of people posting that corps did right thing. They are just not getting the heated replies so not as noticeable 

Don’t forget this little gem: “inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder.”  Vomit. That’s where I had to check out.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Years back there was a corps I liked that went inactive. Hoped they would get back until I found out they had a racism problem. After that pfft could have cared less. Seeing the victim blaming and denial from some Spirit “supporters” and alumni just keeps reminding me. If Spirit doesn’t openly clean house on this I will care less if they make it back.

I am unsure of who the moderator(s) of their FB page are. But they really should follow some common sense guidelines in regards to what gets posted. I so very much hate what social media has become as of late. 

If you notice, it's the same 3 or 4 cats posting all of the apologist bul%/*€£. Just doing a little bit of clicking, their patterns are pretty evident in regards to how they respond to those who don't agree with them on social media. They have no facts, only deflections and name calling. I'm surprised that I didn't see the whole "snowflake" moniker used. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, year1buick said:

Don’t forget this little gem: “inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder.”  Vomit. That’s where I had to check out.

And in my training if someone thinks it is inappropriate then it should stop….

19 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure what this would accomplish. Most of the people who work at the DCI have little contact with the corps whether it be staff or marching members, even when finals are taking place. They are involved with ticket sales, merchandising, secretarial work, accounting, etc. Training on how to handle abuse reporting might be helpful. Someone with an allegation may press numbers to get a human voice and it won’t matter if it’s the main office or the person selling tickets. Judges should be trained and if an allegation arises from when they were on staff arises, it should be investigated and if guilty, the judge should be removed. Regarding show coordinators, staff and volunteers, that’s unnecessary. 

WGI is mandating training for ALL their employees, judges, show staff, and volunteers.

I know a few DCI staff that DEFINETLY need training just from observing their behavior at shows! Corp members may be more comfortable if reporting was to someone outside of the corps inner circle. These "other DCI staff" people need to be trained on how to handle the issues if and when informed.  

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

True. My back has been toast for what...30 years now? My right hip comes out of socket probably 3 or 4 times a year. But when I was in it, I never gave it a second thought. 

And it sounds like your left hand is now weak forever.

• Haha 3