Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

15 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

WGI is mandating training for ALL their employees, judges, show staff, and volunteers.

I know a few DCI staff that DEFINETLY need training just from observing their behavior at shows! Corp members may be more comfortable if reporting was to someone outside of the corps inner circle. These "other DCI staff" people need to be trained on how to handle the issues if and when informed.  

My annual training took an hour. Including who to report to and who to go to if you don’t trust the first person (they might be the harasser).   For DCI it would be corps then DCI then agency outside of DCI

• Like 1

What are some thoughts on SOA's ultimate survival? This all seems pretty unrecoverable. 

10 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

What are some thoughts on SOA's ultimate survival? This all seems pretty unrecoverable. 

I would think it depends on:

(1) Their ability to excise the culture that enabled the abuse, as well as removing the abusers.

(2) Their ability to meet any financial obligations.

(3) Assuming they succeed at 1 &2, their ability to attract members for the 2023 season.  Some, perhaps most members will be marching elsewhere in 2022.  I have seen (on reddit) Academy, Troopers, & CorpsVets reaching out to SoA members for the 2022 season (there may be others).  How many of these members will stay with their new Corps in 2023 vs go back to SoA is a big unknown.  This won't be popular, but I can envision them going Open Class for a year with the more limited touring as they get back on their feet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would think it depends on:

(1) Their ability to excise the culture that enabled the abuse, as well as removing the abusers.

(2) Their ability to meet any financial obligations.

(3) Assuming they succeed at 1 &2, their ability to attract members for the 2023 season.  Some, perhaps most members will be marching elsewhere in 2022.  I have seen (on reddit) Academy, Troopers, & CorpsVets reaching out to SoA members for the 2022 season (there may be others).  How many of these members will stay with their new Corps in 2023 vs go back to SoA is a big unknown.  This won't be popular, but I can envision them going Open Class for a year with the more limited touring as they get back on their feet.

I keep thinking of the early bland statements the corps made basically saying “we will do what we should have done from the beginning “. Then there is the no moderation on the corps FB which allows some of humanities uglier side to come out. That can’t be presenting the corps in a good light to anyone reading. The culture has to change and that has to be shown to the public

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

And it sounds like your left hand is now weak forever.

It always was lolololol

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Then there is the no moderation on the corps FB which allows some of humanities uglier side to come out. That can’t be presenting the corps in a good light to anyone reading. The culture has to change and that has to be shown to the public

I don’t know, I’ve never been a fan of suppressing speech.  I want people to be free to tell us what they think and us to be free to address those thoughts.  Silencing them won’t change their minds, it just limits our ability to try to change their minds. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t know, I’ve never been a fan of suppressing speech.  I want people to be free to tell us what they think and us to be free to address those thoughts.  Silencing them won’t change their minds, it just limits our ability to try to change their minds. 

I agree. And moderating comments can lead to a mess as well. It really means keeping out comments some folks don't like, while others might. The org would then face another round of criticism for stifling points of view.

51 minutes ago, skevinp said:

To be clear the ugliness I see is people attacking someone and saying they are lying. The previously mentioned putting the word victim in quotes (by someone who claims to be a lawyer no less) keeps coming up. Goes past difference of opinion to personal imo.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Right!?  Who thought it was a good idea to mark-time knee-high in black leather dress shoes and English riding boots?  

all those years of practicing on parking lots is felt daily

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4