Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So does probation give Spirit a clean slate?  Or if it turns out they did something else in 2021 that is a clear violation of DCI code of conduct/ethics, would that demand further action?  Asking for a friend.

depends on what rumors and what social media site you read

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would think it depends on:

(1) Their ability to excise the culture that enabled the abuse, as well as removing the abusers.

(2) Their ability to meet any financial obligations.

(3) Assuming they succeed at 1 &2, their ability to attract members for the 2023 season.  Some, perhaps most members will be marching elsewhere in 2022.  I have seen (on reddit) Academy, Troopers, & CorpsVets reaching out to SoA members for the 2022 season (there may be others).  How many of these members will stay with their new Corps in 2023 vs go back to SoA is a big unknown.  This won't be popular, but I can envision them going Open Class for a year with the more limited touring as they get back on their feet.

i have heard recruiting was down across the board, so i am sure there's plenty of spots available for the members if they want them. i was told one corps hung back from posting recruiting offers so it didnt look like they were vultures feasting on the bones

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t know, I’ve never been a fan of suppressing speech.  I want people to be free to tell us what they think and us to be free to address those thoughts.  Silencing them won’t change their minds, it just limits our ability to try to change their minds. 

It IS a slippery slope. And you aren't going to change the hearts and minds of people who think what happened was just "part of drum corps." 

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

all those years of practicing on parking lots is felt daily

Every time I get a MRI I have to remember the answer to “artificial joints” is yes. Had joint in big toe placed years back. Looked like a metal plate in the middle of a cocktail weenie pick.

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It IS a slippery slope. And you aren't going to change the hearts and minds of people who think what happened was just "part of drum corps." 

You might be surprised whose minds can be changed.  Not always, but sometimes.  

The FB page just went off the rails. Scans of a 4 page rant that goes way past “difference of opinion “. Cesspool got deeper.

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The FB page just went off the rails. Scans of a 4 page rant that goes way past “difference of opinion “. Cesspool got deeper.

72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-du

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I went over to the Spirit of Atlanta Facebook page.  The amount of apologists in that comment section would not only cause me never to allow a kid to be in Spirit, I would not pay for one of mine to be in drum corps period. Some of those people just don’t get it.  Or they are willing to tolerate just about anything to “have their drum corps “. 

I wouldn’t take too much of what I read on Spirit’s FB page all that seriously unless you know the person commenting. One person going by the name John Brown is a fake profile. I don’t normally cyberstalk but he chewed me out early on for saying Spirit needed to take a year off. I took a quick peek. No profile picture, no posts, no biographical information. And one that you’ll love is a person who remembered Spirit in the 60’s, yes the 60’s, amazing for a corps that first competed in 1977, which I’m sure you remember well since I believe you were still marching with Guardsmen and may have wondered about the new upstarts everyone was talking about. Many of Spirit’s supporters as well as those supporting the accuser are actually doing more harm with a good number of posts I have seen and my guess is if you go to CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News, the same folks are spewing about Covid, climate change, politics, etc., and just like their posts on the drum corps sites, they have no idea of what they are saying. 

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I wouldn’t take too much of what I read on Spirit’s FB page all that seriously unless you know the person commenting. One person going by the name John Brown is a fake profile. I don’t normally cyberstalk but he chewed me out early on for saying Spirit needed to take a year off. I took a quick peek. No profile picture, no posts, no biographical information. And one that you’ll love is a person who remembered Spirit in the 60’s, yes the 60’s, amazing for a corps that first competed in 1977, which I’m sure you remember well since I believe you were still marching with Guardsmen and may have wondered about the new upstarts everyone was talking about. Many of Spirit’s supporters as well as those supporting the accuser are actually doing more harm with a good number of posts I have seen and my guess is if you go to CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News, the same folks are spewing about Covid, climate change, politics, etc., and just like their posts on the drum corps sites, they have no idea of what they are saying. 

If you click on ‘poster’ (of the diatribe) & see what he has there as his recent posts it is even worse.  Possibly illegal.