Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

5 hours ago, fsthnds said:

WGI is mandating training for ALL their employees, judges, show staff, and volunteers.

I know a few DCI staff that DEFINETLY need training just from observing their behavior at shows! Corp members may be more comfortable if reporting was to someone outside of the corps inner circle. These "other DCI staff" people need to be trained on how to handle the issues if and when informed.  

If we were discussing this in person, we’d probably be on the same page, but My point is we need to be specific regarding volunteers. In the training by the Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, Campfire, and the Virtus training which is used by many religious organizations, it is always driven home you have specific job descriptions or duties/responsibilities and have specific training for each area. “Everyone” becomes too ambiguous and that’s how people slip through the cracks.  Anyone who has contact with the marching members, and I would include in this area college age interns and youth volunteers, should be trained, no question. All purpose volunteers should be eliminated. Specific duties makes it easier to spot perpetrators.

Speaking of specific, show volunteers is very broad. There may be volunteer staff that have contact with the corps, especially at major shows. Train them by all means, but volunteers also include people collecting and scanning tickets, selling programs and 50/50 raffle tickets, and staffing concession stands. They are probably not traveling with the corps and have no contact with the corps.

Regarding judges, if they are acting inappropriately, they need to be weeded out. All the training in the world will not change them.

Edited by Tim K

10 minutes ago, WaitForIt said:

These people are extremely sick and twisted. 

Few days ago (before announcement to suspend operations) I made a joke about they are running out of feet to shoot. Take on shooting yourself in the foot with stupidity. No longer a joke.

Wonder if anyone is even looking at what is going on in the group page. Other groups I’m on will close comments or remove the whole thread before things get half this bad. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I wouldn’t take too much of what I read on Spirit’s FB page all that seriously unless you know the person commenting. One person going by the name John Brown is a fake profile. I don’t normally cyberstalk but he chewed me out early on for saying Spirit needed to take a year off. I took a quick peek. No profile picture, no posts, no biographical information. And one that you’ll love is a person who remembered Spirit in the 60’s, yes the 60’s, amazing for a corps that first competed in 1977, which I’m sure you remember well since I believe you were still marching with Guardsmen and may have wondered about the new upstarts everyone was talking about. Many of Spirit’s supporters as well as those supporting the accuser are actually doing more harm with a good number of posts I have seen and my guess is if you go to CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News, the same folks are spewing about Covid, climate change, politics, etc., and just like their posts on the drum corps sites, they have no idea of what they are saying. 

Spirit could remove the comments.  They own the page.  But since they’re leaving them up…🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I saw there’s also a private Facebook group. 

Is there a way to report it to FB or do only members even have the ability to see it?